Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: A QE2 Christmas  (Read 11834 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
A QE2 Christmas
« on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Share your memories, photos and videos of the festive period on board QE2
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: A QE2 Christmas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2009, 12:38 PM »

Offline Avariel

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:37 PM »

^ what I did to our christmas tree last year. have to say my family was slightly amused. (now I need to think of something else for our tree-topper this year.)

I do have pictures of the Christmas Markets cruise of 2007 - which I'm too lazy to go dig up now so I'll be posting them tomorrow - or soon.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Before Christmas  - 2006
by Coleman Heald
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2009, 03:47 PM »
That's a great wee video, the ship looks magnificent, and stateroom 1051 is very lovely with that big oval first class window - one of my favourites.  Very festive!  I was on board for the same trip one year later.

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: Christmas Day aboard QE2
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:08 AM »
I had one Christmas Day on QE2, in the Caribbean, 2004
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1310.0.html

This was back-to-back after the Atlantic crossing, QE2's final December crossing.  I had the wonderful cabin 3006, a  large MO single, attended to by who must have been QE2's most lively, nurturing, loving stewardesses.  Unfortunatley I no longer remember her name.

Christmas Day was a "sea day", a glorious warm sunny day on a calm sea.  As twilight approached, we were approaching St. Lucia.  We were not calliing at St. Lucia, but as the sun was setting the view was magnificent, so Captain McNaught gave us a treat and sailed close to the island, pausing as the sun set.

The ship was elegantly decorated, and Santa made an appearance for the children aboard.
This was my first "British" Christmas, and the traditions, the paper crowns, the crackers, Christmas pudding etc. were all new to me. 

Boxing Day found us in Grenada, where I spent the day kayaking, swimming, drinking gallons of rum punch (yum!)
and then coming aboard to the terrible news of the tsunami.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:13 PM »

^ what I did to our christmas tree last year. have to say my family was slightly amused. (now I need to think of something else for our tree-topper this year.)

I do have pictures of the Christmas Markets cruise of 2007 - which I'm too lazy to go dig up now so I'll be posting them tomorrow - or soon.

Hey you could market these tree toppers and sell them from a direct link on the forum!! I know a few who would buy them and Id be first in the queue!!
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2013, 01:08 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:14 PM »

this is sooooo lovely"!!  you could market this and have a direct link from the forum...i would be first in the queue,,,its fab..how did you do it>?  i want one!!

Meantime here is my fave ornament on the tree....Always has to be placed right in the centre,.....purchased on board a few years ago....
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2013, 01:08 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Avariel

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:38 PM »
this is sooooo lovely"!!  you could market this and have a direct link from the forum...i would be first in the queue,,,its fab..how did you do it>?  i want one!!

Meantime here is my fave ornament on the tree....Always has to be placed right in the centre,.....purchased on board a few years ago....
I made that tree topper from paper, cardboard and the whole thing was attatched to my tree with craft wire.

I've been thinking of making similar tree toppers out of shrinkable plastic which would probably be more durable. So maybe Christmas 2010 will see a new QE2 tree topper.

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:43 PM »
That's a superb you tube clip, it really reminds me of the last trip I had on her in December 2002 -  just sad to think that the life and atmosphere shown is no longer present in her. 

It's also great to see the slight variations in staterooms, my wife and I were in either 1071 or 2071- (my memory is failing me at this late hour) certain aspects of our room were quite different.

jdl

Offline pete cain

Christmas onboard QE2
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Service life  1969-2008, there were a lot of Christmasses there, we all feel something just that bit extra at Christmas, just what was it like being on QE2 at this really special time? was it extra magical? where did they keep all the decs & trees was there a special hold or were they loaded in November or sometime?

Online Bob C.

« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:36 PM »
How nice the ship must have been during that time of year.  If I only had a time machine...

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:10 PM »
Malcolm, during QE2's final World Cruise, was on board and wrote this in his diary :

Christmas and New Year onboard a ship are quite unlike anything you would have on land. Ashore the Christmas holidays start mid-December and run until the first week of January. Afloat it is nothing like that. Although there are Christmas decorations about the ship Christmas doesn't really begin until dinner on the 24th and is over by Boxing Day. There's none of the hassle about last minute presents so a port on Christmas Eve makes a nice day. When that port is in bright sunshine it's even better :)

and then, there was this on Christmas Day :

One thing a lot of people have commented on is the standard and number of decorations. It was a Gala buffet yesterday evening. There was a Christmas Tree in the Lido that we had been told about and had thought that the people who told us (Andrew and Jayne) had been exaggerating. They hadn't! It had a short length of tinsel and about five decorations haphazardly drapped on it. It looked as if a five year old had done it in about five minutes with no outside help.

And lots of answers about Christmas on board in response to Cunardqueen's questions, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,543.msg6308.html#msg6308

I wonder was anyone here on board at Christmas time and attended the Interdenominational Service? Was it like an ordinary Sunday Service or was it a bit special? Maybe there was none at all... just as, on Sundays in port, no Service is held.

Online cunardqueen

QE2 Christmas
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Its that time of year, But has anyone spent Christmas on QE2, how do they make it special and is any thing done differently from the norm, what about Boxing day also??
 A great chance to share some QE2 festive tales ;D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline peter ward

Christmas party
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Christmas party in the T.O.W kitchen ,,alway's felt sorry for the chef's who had to clean the kitchen after the party which usually went on till about 5 am then turn to straight away ! recognise anyone ?front left is john davies when a mere waiter ! I 'm in there somewhere !!
peter

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Christmas party
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:03 PM »
Yes those parties the good old days sadly with time they all faded away

Louis

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Christmas party
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:54 PM »
I've taken the liberty of applying fade correction - photo re-attached!

Offline peter ward

QE2 christmas card
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:01 PM »
 just found this , a QE2 christmas card from 1974
peter

Offline peter ward

card inner
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:02 PM »
 Inside
peter

Offline Rod

« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2011, 12:53 AM »
In the early days, the Cruise Staff used to decorate the ship....Cunard decided to get a proffesional company to do it. The first time was a Carib cruise and the decorators came on in NY and would get off in PE.

They did the Queens Room first. Over 2000 styrafoam snowflakes hanging down. Captains coctail party, the ship hit a "lump in the water, during the captains speech...like a blizzard of styrafoam

Pax loved it..."Welcome to the QE2"