Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth  (Read 36839 times)

Offline Jeff Taylor

Re: Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #60 on: Jun 15, 2011, 02:26 PM »
PS: as far as anything being left of her, it was all carted away except for a section of double bottom, and by some accounts parts of one or more of her boilers--all of which is buiried under a container port. 

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #61 on: Jun 15, 2011, 06:31 PM »
I was surprised to learn that the builder's model of Queen Elizabeth is in the London Science Museum and not in Glasgow's transport museum!  :(
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #62 on: Jun 16, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Lynda

You will be amazed at just where many models have ended up. Cunard didn't care in the 1960s when these models were just given away. The company was continually downsizing in terms of HQs from the 1960s onwards. Was given the task of cataloguing a lot of these models a few years ago and was amazed at where they are now.

Michael

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #63 on: Jun 16, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Also, Lynda, I think you'd be surprised at just how many models of all sorts of ships there are in the Science Museum.  Next time you're in London you should visit it - the gallery in question is an impressive sight. :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #64 on: Jun 16, 2011, 08:34 PM »
You will be amazed at just where many models have ended up. Cunard didn't care in the 1960s when these models were just given away. The company was continually downsizing in terms of HQs from the 1960s onwards. Was given the task of cataloguing a lot of these models a few years ago and was amazed at where they are now.

Michael, I am so pleased to hear that you have catalogued where some of the models are situated.  Are they all in museums in this country or further afield?

I bought a book onboard QV this year called The Fleet 1840 to 2008 which details the Cunard Ships.  I was particularly pleased to see that of the 147 Cunard ships in the book, 98 were built on the Clyde and of these 98, nineteen were built in Clydebank.

The Cunard awarded many contracts to J& G Thomson who later moved to Clydebank and were taken over by John Brown's.  These contracts were very important to the town over the years and ships such as the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth were a lifeline which brought the town out of the depression years. I am so disappointed that Clydebank has not had the foresight to built a shipping museum which could show some of these magnificent models.  

Also, Lynda, I think you'd be surprised at just how many models of all sorts of ships there are in the Science Museum.  Next time you're in London you should visit it - the gallery in question is an impressive sight. :)

Peter, I have not visited London for 40 years but the Ship Models in the Science Museum would be a good reason to visit.  
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #65 on: Jun 17, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Of the 221 ships Cunard has owned since it was founded in 1839, 125 were built in Scotland - the vast majority of them on the Clyde. I'll bring you the complete list in July Lynda.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #66 on: Jun 17, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Of the 221 ships Cunard has owned since it was founded in 1839, 125 were built in Scotland - the vast majority of them on the Clyde. I'll bring you the complete list in July Lynda.

Brilliant - I will look forward to that ;D
www.qe2event.com

bobso

« Reply #67 on: Jun 18, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Interesting site here all about the RMS Queen Elizabeth---

http://cruiselinehistory.com/?p=8717

bobso

« Reply #68 on: Jun 19, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Here is a picture of the RMS Queeen Elizabeth being built at John Brown's. Compare the size of the funnels with the size of the workmen. Gives you a good idea of the enormous size of the liner.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #69 on: Jul 28, 2011, 04:31 PM »
RMS Queen Elizabeth arriving in HongKong - 1968,
together with a brief history of her interesting life.

http://rmhh.co.uk/ships/pages/RMS%20Queen%20Elizabeth%203.html
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

bobso

« Reply #70 on: Jul 28, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Thanks Rosie for posting that link--very interesting. It says on the page that the "Lizzie" carried 16,683 troops on that crossing. here is a link to the photo that shows them on board. Hard to believe that any ship could carry that many people. :o

https://www.flickr.com/photos/x-ray_delta_one/5976568215/in/pool-75914094@N00/

bobso

« Reply #71 on: Jul 28, 2011, 06:05 PM »

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #72 on: Jul 29, 2011, 05:32 AM »
QE preparing for war at Clydebank before the most publicised secret departure ever, except of course that she crossed the Atlantic!!
Paul Strathdee

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #73 on: Jul 29, 2011, 09:20 AM »
I like this photo very much.

Lovely view of the ship's long bow but also the photo gives a good view of John Brown's sheds in the background. The name John Brown on the shed makes sure there is no doubt as to where Queen Elizabeth was built and is sitting at the time of the photo.
www.qe2event.com

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #74 on: Jul 29, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Not the best- on Ebay at one time- a photo of her with Allied troops and on the Clyde in 1946 having Cunard colours reinstated.
Paul Strathdee

bobso

« Reply #75 on: Jul 29, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Photo enclosed of Queen Elizabeth having her props fitted.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #76 on: Jul 29, 2011, 04:47 PM »
Those tall ladders are TTTAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Offline No 736

« Reply #77 on: Jul 29, 2011, 05:50 PM »
How did they manage, without Hi-vis vests and hard hats !!!

bobso

« Reply #78 on: Jul 29, 2011, 05:51 PM »
Aye they are that---and the man is VERY SMALL!!! ;)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #79 on: Jul 29, 2011, 07:21 PM »
QE preparing for war at Clydebank before the most publicised secret departure ever, except of course that she crossed the Atlantic!!

Weren't her crew genuinely led to believe that her maiden voyage was to be a trip around the local waters -
then found themselves unexpectedly sailing westwards for days on end - what must they and their loved ones have felt....?
It would be really interesting to know more from anyone who can remember the experience....
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

TheQE2Story at RMS Queen Mary : Jan 16th 2010

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 2529
Last post Jan 09, 2011, 01:38 PM
by 3QueensGirl
P.S. Medway Queen

Started by Bruce NichollsBoard Ships

Replies: 2
Views: 915
Last post Nov 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
QE2 Get Together (on board Queen Victoria World Cruise 2017).

Started by Michelle PenwardenBoard Past Events

Replies: 5
Views: 1436
Last post Aug 03, 2016, 06:52 AM
by Greg Rudd
QE2 Launch - Celebration on Queen Mary

Started by CAPBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 1
Views: 1433
Last post Sep 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Queen Victoria Liverpool 2010

Started by RMS LozzyBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 2
Views: 1427
Last post Mar 05, 2011, 04:27 PM
by Janice Naylor