Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth  (Read 30750 times)

Offline Waverley

Queen Elizabeth
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Attaching a photo of the Queen Elizabeth.

This was taken when the liner was in dry dock at Greenock about 40 years ago. Does anyone have the exact date?
Robert

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:57 PM »
This will have been her BIG refit to make her more suitable for cruising, which she was surprisingly successful at.  Its when they added her outdoor swimming pool, and improved the air conditioning etc.

I have a wonderful new QE book by Chris Harvey - "The Ultimate Ship" - I'll have a look at it when I get a chance and I think will be able to give you the date to within a week or two...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:38 PM »
She was certainly there in March '66 I believe
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Southampton Ocean Terminal and RMS Queen Elizabeth

http://www.vimeo.com/2510710

Offline Stowaway2k

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2009, 11:48 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Absolutely fantastic.  Thanks for posting, I just watched all 20 minutes of it right through.

Its such a shame that soon the name Queen Elizabeth will be used to refer to a ship so comprehensively different to this epic creation of the 20th century.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Hello Stowaway2k

Thank you so much for this film - it has made our week and more!
My husband sailed on The Queen Elizabeth in September 1961 (Southampton to New York) - aged 17 - with a group of other school boys, without any teachers - they were exchange students going to stay in the US for a year - he's never forgotten the high jinks - escaping into first class,  being chased by Officers as he spent the entire voyage in pursuit of girls! - Alas I wasn't even on the scene then!
He says he has a kept his diary
I've had a peep - it's about a very rough crossing!
Cheers
Twynkle
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2009, 07:57 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Wonderful. That was 20 minutes really well spent -- watching!

Seems to me that those are the very same cranes that are still part of the scene in Southampton -- and still working too.

Queen Elizabeth was a splendid act to follow -- and QE2 followed her splendidly.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:55 AM »

He says he has a diary, if anyone is interested
Cheers
Twynkle

Absolutely!  That's just the sort of thing I'd enjoy

Online Twynkle

« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:42 PM »

Hi Stowaway2k
He's away at the moment, I will ask him when he gets back - I remember him saying that the diary was boring!
Maybe he didn't want me to see what he'd been up to!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Rosie has already posted this link in another context, but it is also part of Queen Elizabeth :

http://www.bi-me.com/main.php?id=31939&t=1&c=129&cg=4&mset=1011

Queen Elizabeth memorabilia left to Dubai... it will be good, of course, to see them in a public space... but whether this is the right public space really depends on the QE2 heritage museum going ahead...

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2009, 04:17 PM »
According to David J Hutchings 'RMS Queen Elizabth - From Victory to Valhalla' The ship was in John Browns hands for approx 3 months for this refot, from sometime in December 1965 until March 1966, the book states the ship left the drydock on 9th March it does not say when it entered the drydock. Hope this helps!

The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Rosie has already posted this link in another context, but it is also part of Queen Elizabeth :

Queen Elizabeth memorabilia left to Dubai... it will be good, of course, to see them in a public space... but whether this is the right public space really depends on the QE2 heritage museum going ahead...

Thanks for posting this.
Interesting...
It certainly is good for these items to be on public display.  I wonder though if there is a business connection between the Moldts and Nakheel...   ;) as their venue of choice simply does not yet exhist and its future is in some doubt. 

Not wanting to cast a shadow, but here I go...  Glasgow, Liverpool, Cydebank, and Southampton all have well-established museums with strong ties to Cunard....
But, it's their china and blanket to do with as they please.   ::)

The article says

"The Moldts' father, Edward M. Moldt, was one of a group of Philadelphia businessmen who purchased the Queen Elizabeth from Cunard in 1968 before reselling the vessel to a Hong Kong investor in 1970".

But doesn't say that this is nothing to brag about, as the Philadelphia scheme was a total failure,  that Cunard cancelled the sale,   and that  Philly never had posession of her and she was never theirs to "resell".  QE was sold directly by Cunard to C.Y. Tung.

ok, I'm done.   ;D
but, thanks again for posting this!   :)
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2009, 07:23 PM by stowaway2k »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2009, 07:34 PM »
According to David J Hutchings 'RMS Queen Elizabth - From Victory to Valhalla' The ship was in John Browns hands for approx 3 months for this refot, from sometime in December 1965 until March 1966, the book states the ship left the drydock on 9th March it does not say when it entered the drydock. Hope this helps!

Saturday, 11 December   ;D

Ocean Liner Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2009, 07:44 PM »

I really should not complain but oh what the heck.This memorabilia really should have gone to either the QM2 since she is the flagship of the Cunard Line or to the new Queen Elizabeth which will be entering service next year.And according to what stowaway2k wrote it could be that the Moldts are not really the legal owners of the memorabilia anyway since their father never did have legal ownership of the first Queen Elizabeth.If the QE2 were to or hopefully in the future becomes a floating hotel,museum and conference center in Southampton or elsewhere in the U.K. then I think that it would be o.k. to donate that memorabilia to the QE2.But if the QE2 stays in Dubai what good is it when a lot of people who have interest in Maritime memorabilia from previous Cunard Ships can not get to Dubai. Regards,Jerry

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2009, 12:01 AM »
In the Los Angeles, in front of former offices of C.Y. Tung, can be found an anchor and bow letters Q and E from RMS Queen Elizabeth

The other bow Q and E until recently could be found encased in a sidewalk in downtown New York.  They're now MIA, probably removed because of construction.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570548951AkGfsJ

Inscribed within the "Q" is copied the letter sent on behalf of HM Queen
Elizabeth the Queen Mother to C.Y. Tung, purchaser from Cunard of QE and owner
of Seawise University, expressing her distress upon learning of the disaster
that befell the great ship that bore her name.

Inscribed with upper portion of the "E" is a similar letter from Kurt Waldheim,
Secretary General of the United Nations, and within the lower portion a letter
from California Governor Brown upon the dedication of the QE monument.

Above the letters is inscribed a short history of QE/Seawise, with the slight
error that she was a Blue-Ribband holder.  She could have been, probably, but wasn't... 

Also in album are images of Seawise University brochures.
The ship was within a few months of her maiden voyage cruise from Los Angeles
when she was destroyed by arson.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2009, 09:27 PM »
Referring back to my first photo, I have found another one. Can anyone confirm if Andy's answer on Jan28th is correct and the ship was at Greenock in 1966?  Thanks. 
Robert

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Referring back to my first photo, I have found another one. Can anyone confirm if Andy's answer on Jan28th is correct and the ship was at Greenock in 1966?  Thanks. 

Another gorgeous photo, thanks.

Yes, I found the date I posted earlier of entering dryock on Dec. 11 1965 in a google news search, and departing drydock in March 1966 is also confirmed by googling...

Offline caledonia

snowbow DVD
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2009, 12:26 PM »
I recently purchased the snowbow DVD - The Great Cunarders ( Part 4 of the series) and it really is superb alot of the footage appears to be Cunard publicity material but the old Queens are in it, the Green Godess, and numerous other Cunarders. Ther is wonderful footage of the Caronia undertaking a world cruise in the 50's and a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Elizabet from the same period ( with a wonderful shot of the Queen Mary passing her mid atlantic) As a bonus the last couple of minutes are of the QE2 departing Southampton and New York - wonderful memories.
WEBSITE - www.snowbow.co.uk

Offline Waverley

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2009, 08:56 PM »
The end - January 1972

[attachment deleted by admin because its too large]
Robert