Author Topic: QE2 Falklands War / Falklands Conflict  (Read 38844 times)

Offline Rod

Re: QE2 Falklands War / Falklands Conflict
« Reply #80 on: Apr 04, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Heres a link to a vid I was just given:

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #81 on: Apr 05, 2016, 10:58 AM »
Good that this video footage has survived all these years, must have brought back a lot of memories for you Rod.  Really strange to see the soldier with a gun on the open bridge wing and the soldier walking up the stair with his backpack doing his exercise round the deck. Quite different to the scene when passengers are onboard. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #82 on: Apr 05, 2016, 05:27 PM »
Hi Rod - This is an amazing video to have received and it must indeed bring back many memories.  To have this video, which can now be viewed as a documentary, is awe-inspiring !  Thank you very much for sharing it with us !  June
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2016, 09:39 AM »
I just listened to this "Witness" story on the BBC World Service (Escape from the South Atlantic) :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03sxn17

Wonderful co-starring role of the QE2 :) .

Online Andy Holloway

Re: Volunteers Required - Submit your QE2 Story for the website !
« Reply #84 on: Mar 22, 2017, 03:54 PM »
Is there anybody out there who was on the Trip to S/America and The Falkland Islands in 2003?

If so, do you remember the incident in Rio when the sewage barge capsized and departure was delayed for 5/6 hours! Or the Stewardess who was 'taken ill' during the night in Montevideo and gave birth to a baby girl at about 1000!

Sadly the call into Stanley, on Sunday 11th November - Remembrance Sunday, was cancelled due to rough weather preventing tendering operations taking place. Myself, ex Royal Marine and the Chief Officer, who had been a fisheries protection officer for the FI Government, were due to lay wreaths on behalf of Cunard & QE2. Much disappointment all round that day.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Falklands War
« Reply #85 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:46 PM »
I bet there aren't many of these around... a menu from 3rd June 1982. My parents got this from a good friend of the family, Bill Dart, who was Executive Chef on QE2.

Rupert Ballantyne has contacted us via the Admin mailbox, saying :

Quote from: Rupert Ballantyne
I have got a copy which I got signed by all the Captains of the 3 RN ships as well Captain Jackson and Captain James RN.

I think the wording of the menu was created by Vic Coward, the exec chef on the trip and Ron Kelly who was Hotel Manager.

A photo of the copy is attached below.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2017, 10:52 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #86 on: Nov 03, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Jane Nilsen has sent the attached QE2 Crews News that was issued on 31 May 1982, to crew who were on board a the time of the Falklands conflict. 

International News included updates on what was happening in the Falklands, including update on the Battle for Goose Green.  There was also information on the conflict between Irag and Iran and news that Spain had become the 16 member of NATO.

Interesting to know the films that were on for crew to see, such as Gregory's Girl and the Long Good Friday. 

Captain Jackson had agreed to give a lecture on Great Passengers Liners - I wonder how many crew had the opportunity to attend?

I hope this bring back memories to crew who were on the ship at the time of the Falklands. It certainly is an interesting piece of history.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #87 on: Nov 03, 2021, 06:49 PM »
That is an absolutely amazing snippet of this historic voyage, thanks for sharing.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #88 on: Nov 03, 2021, 07:23 PM »
That is an absolutely amazing snippet of this historic voyage, thanks for sharing.

It is a rather special item. 

Jane had also mentioned a charity knitting scarves for Falklands Veterans.  Rod may be interested in this and maybe pass on information to other veterans. 

I have also sent the scan to a group I am supporting, who are knitting and crocheting scarves in the colours of the medal ribbon for veterans, widows and family members. The group’s founder was an 11 year old Falkland Islander when the invasion took place and witnessed many of the scenes described in the news sheet. She wants to let veterans know how much their valour and sacrifice meant to the Islanders. QE2 crewmembers who hold the South Atlantic medal are eligible to bid for a scarf either for themselves or could nominate someone else. The group is called Scarves for Falklands Veterans...B Rgds, Jane

Information on Facebook Scarves for Falklands Veterans page:
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=scarves%20for%20falklands%20veterans

As some of you will know I am involved with a great Facebook group, Scarves for Falklands Veterans. Their aim is for crafters to make and distribute a scarf, in the colours of the Falklands campaign medal, to every Veteran, or surviving family member, who would like one in time for the 40th anniversary next year.

Here is a short explanation by the founder of the group Rachel Simons:
'For those who don't know,  I'm a Falkland Islander,  now living in Carlisle. In 1982 I was 11 years old. For the duration of the war I was living with my family in Stanley,  main town of the Falklands. It was noisy and frightening. Making scarves and giving them to SAM holders is my way of saying thank you for returning peace and freedom'
If anyone would like to help make the scarves or knows of a Falklands Veteran who would like one please either message me or send an e-mail to
Scarf4vets@gmail.com
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

« Reply #89 on: Nov 03, 2021, 11:31 PM »
I have heard of them. But, with so many people wanting them, I am going to wait a while. Being in Florida a scarf is almost a waste.
I have seen them though and they are beautiful.
But thanks for thinking of me.

Offline Rod

« Reply #90 on: Nov 03, 2021, 11:34 PM »
OH, by the way, the Ed Centre named in the newsletter was the Harrods shop.
 They nhad troops that were sitting exams the day before they disembarked.

Genealogy - Records of Military and conflict

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 2
Views: 1371
Last post Feb 18, 2018, 11:08 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 and the Falklands War

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard The 1980s

Replies: 161
Views: 73141
Last post Nov 22, 2021, 10:58 PM
by Trevor Casey