Author Topic: QE2 Falklands War / Falklands Conflict  (Read 61906 times)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: WANTED - QE2 Crew from Falklands Conflict
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Some great replies already to the email appeal sent out earlier, I've spent the last hour or so replying and forwarding emails. Keep them coming please!

I do hope the programme gets made.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

starbug

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2013, 09:50 PM »
There is a Facebook group for Ex-QE2 crew here if you wanted to get in touch:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ex.qe2crew/

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2013, 10:40 PM »
There is a Facebook group for Ex-QE2 crew here if you wanted to get in touch:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ex.qe2crew/

Thanks for the suggestion. As part of this, though, I'm trying to encourage the memories and stories to end up here on the forum where they'll be open to all, searchable and fully indexed by all the search engines for future researchers, unlike Facebook where memories seem to be shared for a moment, then lost.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2013, 11:55 AM »
More fantastic emails arriving today, I will be talking to the BBC people later, and hope that I can encourage at least some of the material to be added to the already excellent information we have here.

It would be a shame if these historic memories weren't preserved.

Sent from my phone.

Offline Rod

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Got an e-mail from the "Beeb" today. They want to call me up for a preliminary talk and explain the series etc!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Got an e-mail from the "Beeb" today. They want to call me up for a preliminary talk and explain the series etc!

That's great, Rod!

I spoke to them earlier, they're very pleased with our response so far and will be speaking to others soon.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2013, 06:46 PM »
That's great, Rod!

I spoke to them earlier, they're very pleased with our response so far and will be speaking to others soon.

It was good to see the fantastic response to your email Rob. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Dave H Houlden

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Do the Beeb only want to hear from the Civilian Crew during the Falklands War ?

I was one of the Royal Navy Flight Deck Firefighting Crew.

Regards,

Dave "H" Houlden.

I'm the one kneeling, wearing a white compressed wool firesuit and red T shirt underneath.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Welcome on board, Dave!

Now, if you had told us that you were a group of astronauts practising for a moon landing, I would have believed you (except of course for the "photographed on board" title of the picture...)...

Do tell us more -- I am not sure that I have the faintest notion of what you were doing there!

Did you return by QE2 as well -- presumably not?

Did you ever set foot on QE2 again after the Falklands run? I hope you got to see and enjoy her during more normal times...

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2013, 11:13 PM »
Do the Beeb only want to hear from the Civilian Crew during the Falklands War ?

I was one of the Royal Navy Flight Deck Firefighting Crew.

Regards,

Dave "H" Houlden.

I'm the one kneeling, wearing a white compressed wool firesuit and red T shirt underneath.

Fantastic! And amazing that the standard on board photographic template was used even in such drastically changed circumstances. Can't wait to hear more!

Dave H Houlden

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2013, 11:22 PM »
Hello Isabelle.

The picture is of the Starboard Watch of the Flight Deck Crew for the journey South and back home again.

The gentlemen in yellow tops are the Boss in the middle, Jim Ahern to his right and Scouse ????? to his left.
The guys in brown tops are the Seaking aircraft engineers.
The three of us in white were there to put out any fires during aircraft engine start-up/shutdown, or, heaven
forbid, they crashed on landing/take-off.

There were 2 flight decks ( not 3 as has been misreported over the years ) but we had 3 helicopter spots.

I cant recall the date the photograph was taken.

There are several other photographs that I took. Including some of the QE2 crew shooting at gash bags
from the stern.

I can recall a crew bar that we were invited to. It was accessed via one of the childrens play areas.
There were 4 of us in a cabin, starboard side ( have a photo ) for the journey South and just the 2
of us on the way back.

I did several watches on the port bridge wing during the journey through the icebergs.
I watched one roll over as we passed.

We were kept busy with a variety of tasks when not at Flying Stations, including painting the underside
of the aft flight decks...being very careful not to spill paint in the swimming pool.

There was someone with an industrial hand steered power sander that was trying to keep the wooden
decks clean. Lots of blue barrels to do with making fresh water from salt water.

I wasn't invited to return to the QE2 after the war. ( That would have been nice )

I did write to CUNARD asking if they were going to marking the 25th Anniversary of the Falklands War and
was told "No".

Dave H.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Dave, I am interested to know, as the photo was presumably taken by QE2 staff, were the same inflated prices charged to military personnel as ordinary passengers, or did you get a discount?

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Welcome back to the world of QE2 H.

I'm guessing you came from one of the Air Stations. Were you on the aft or the forward flight deck?
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Dave, I am interested to know, as the photo was presumably taken by QE2 staff, were the same inflated prices charged to military personnel as ordinary passengers, or did you get a discount?

Hi Bruce
Back in 1982 the cost to passengers of a photograph taken on board was just $3.75, hardly inflated or extortionate by any standards, less than the cost of a couple of drinks at the bar. As I recall, the price to crew was $2.50 but more often than not there was no charge at all.

For the Falklands voyage there was, as far as I know, just one ships photographer on board, I had transferred to the Countess by then so don't know the details of what services were offered to the military personnel or charges involved. I am in the process of trying to track the whereabouts of the photographer who went on the trip to let him know about the BBC interest so maybe I can introduce him to the forum.

The problem in later years was that the shipping companies got very greedy (hard to believe I know) and kept demanding more and more revenue from the concessionaires. In the early 80's Cunard were taking 40% of the total revenue from the photography concession on QE2 and they were pushing hard for more. Granted we were provided with 'bed and board' as part of that deal but Cunard did quite well from it too.

I don't know what they charge for photographs these days on board ships but if it is anything like Disneyland prices then I would have to agree about the inflated prices. Just don't blame the photographers.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Hi Alan
We recently went with P&O where they were charging £10 for one photo so perhaps this has affected my comments. I must admit I can't remember what we paid on QE2 20 years ago. We bought several so on reflection it probably was not that bad.

Genealogy - Records of Military and conflict

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 2
Views: 1975
Last post Feb 18, 2018, 11:08 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 and the Falklands War

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard The 1980s

Replies: 167
Views: 112157
Last post Feb 27, 2024, 10:10 PM
by Peter Mugridge