Author Topic: QE2 Falklands War / Falklands Conflict  (Read 61901 times)

DeVeres. Folly

Re: CREW LIST, FALKLANDS 1982.
« Reply #30 on: Apr 15, 2011, 01:54 AM »
Thank you for the info Rob, spent somtime in the Queens Grill Kictchen when i was there one of the cooks was promoted to "black trouser" staff.
 If the facebook is the same one out there on the internet well im not too keen on that as there can be problems &  there's too mutch info out there on me anyway!!.Regards Jon

Offline Rod

Re: Falklands War
« Reply #31 on: Jul 23, 2011, 05:24 PM »
I bet there aren't many of these around... a menu from 3rd June 1982. My parents got this from a good friend of the family, Bill Dart, who was Executive Chef on QE2.

Whats Billy doing now?

Offline Rod

« Reply #32 on: Jul 23, 2011, 05:26 PM »
"8 to 12 watch, going back home"

Bob Cobain, Colin Dawkins, Willy Grey, Eddie Cropps are the ones I remember. Bottom right. a navigator...really nice guy, just cant remember his name.

Offline Rod

« Reply #33 on: Jul 23, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Very historic images. They do indeed send a chill down my spine...

Would John Chillingworth be prepared to tell us a bit more what it was like, what it felt like to be crew on board QE2 at the time? Two very different journeys -- the outward journey full of exercising soldiers, and then for the homeward journey there was that amazing dash back to Southampton, after the refuelling exercise in the pictures above -- the longest non stop run ever made by QE2 herself, and perhaps by any merchant navy ship ever?

We are very lucky that we did not already lose QE2 at that time...! Very lucky that we have been able to see her, years later, gleaming and looking her very best, despite the trauma she had been through...

I would love to hear some more from John if he is willing to tell his story...

My experience at the beginning was: Ok lets go there and sort this thing out....To be honest we were All asked if we would go down there and there would be no repurcussions if you said no...I said yes.
As the trip progressed it became less of a "Lets go UK thing" as we had more interaction with the Seniors, we made friends, got info. The troops shot off more live ammo on the trip down than they would have in a year back in UK.
Then we found out that an Argentinian sub was missing. Problem was the subs were sold to the Argentinians from the US and the UK subs had a problem identifying them as their signatures were of allies.
Then I was told the news in confidence, that Gen Galteri had issued the order to get the QE 2 at all costs. The reason being was that UK public would take the loss of Canberra at 29 mil but not the QE2, with the name and cost. Now it becomes scary. The only armament we had on the way down was what the troops provided and that left us at South Georgia. Then when they were so desparate to get us the Argentines sent out a C-130 and pushed bombs out the ramp at the back to try and sink a ship they thought was us...MOD said time to go. Turned out to be a BP tanker.
If anyone has any questions..PM me or ask them in the forum
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2011, 09:53 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Carl Davies

The Falklands
« Reply #34 on: Apr 09, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Hi all,
Seeing as it nears the Anniversary of the Falklands, i have attached letters sent by Cunard to Families of the crew that went with QE2. Enjoy the reading.
Regards
Carl
Regards
Carl

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: The Falklands
« Reply #35 on: Apr 09, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Fantastic Carl, thanks!  I can only imagine what the families of the crew must have felt, as QE2 unexpectedly became a military ship in a danger zone.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Carl Davies

Re: The Falklands
« Reply #36 on: Apr 10, 2012, 12:08 AM »
Hi Guys,
I have just come across this badge in the large box of goodies my mother gave me, Does anyone know if it was just given to crew that went or was it available from souvenir shop onboard?

Regards
Carl
Regards
Carl

Offline Rod

« Reply #37 on: Apr 10, 2012, 09:16 AM »
These were made for the crew by a gentleman (pax) from Philadelphia called Andy Tabas. They were not for sale. I have just been given 2 of them by my brother who recently visited. Andy also had them made for other occasions, first world cruise, 180 club in darts etc. They were given to us free!

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #38 on: Apr 10, 2012, 10:45 AM »
You might remember this Rod. I got a copy of this menu cover from Billy Dart who very proudly showed us his Falklands medal after returning to the UK.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Rod

« Reply #39 on: Apr 10, 2012, 10:32 PM »
Yes I do vaguely remember it. I cant enlarge it though.
Yes I do. Managed to enlarge it. Going to try and print it to take to my Falklands reunion next month. On of our "guests" from Coventry will be there again!
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2012, 10:37 PM by Rod »

Offline Rod

« Reply #40 on: Apr 10, 2012, 10:40 PM »
"When i get chance i will list out a few aspects of the trip, like we nearly blacked out in south georgia because the 12 to 4 watch were to busy polishing the harpoon heads they picked up from the whaling station to see that they had lost the control compressed air and all the fuel valves shut."

Every year at the local middle school I drag MY harpoon head there to do a show and tell to the days classes as they do a history of whaling. Gets heavier every year!

bobso

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #42 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Thanks Bobso

We also have some ongoing discussion on QE2 in the Falklands War in this topic board:

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,127.0.html
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

« Reply #43 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:32 PM »
Regarding the Daily Mail article:
I thought I had posted this before but here it is again..
In the first pic saying it was the return voyage...too many army troops.
Mentions wooden planking...masonite or hardboard depending on where you are from.
Steel plating added...NO just what we were blessed with from John Browns/UCS.
Magneti coil fitted...not that also was from John Browns/UCS, called degaussing gear for use mostly in the North Sea area where there are still a lot of magnetic mines.
Pic of the "anti aircraft gun" well its actually a .50 caliber browning machine gun loaned from one of the Regiments we took down. It left the ship along with its companions at South Georgia. The platform was built by Harries Pye Marine who travelled with us.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
WANTED - QE2 Crew from Falklands Conflict
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 05:57 PM »
The BBC Want to talk to you!

Contact admin@theqe2story.com for more information!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Genealogy - Records of Military and conflict

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 2
Views: 1975
Last post Feb 18, 2018, 11:08 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 and the Falklands War

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard The 1980s

Replies: 167
Views: 112157
Last post Feb 27, 2024, 10:10 PM
by Peter Mugridge