Author Topic: QE2 and the Falklands War  (Read 104264 times)

Offline Rod

Re: QE2 and the Falklands War
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Congratulations, Rod!

Looks like great fun was had by all.

Are these all British expats settled in Florida? Presumably this was not a QE2-related meeting, so that not all who were there had actually travelled to or from the Falklands by QE2.
Isabelle....No it was not QE2 related. In one of the pics you will see a gentleman wearing my hat...he is a former QE2 electrician that, like me, married an American and settled here. He lives in new Jersey. Havent seen him since my wedding 25 years ago! One of the former Royal Marines, lives in San Fran, one of the Paras lives in Canada, One gentleman and his wife saw it on the internet and asked if they could come as they were going to be here on their hols. The Maj Gen. Chip Chapman who was a Lieutenant/platoon commander with 2 para in the Falklands is the Senior British Officer at Centcom at McDill AFB in Tampa. He is also heavily involved in the security for the London Olympics. Note the CB around his neck that he got in the new years Honours List. One of the guys there is a survivor from Coventyr that we brought back. Another gentleman in one of the pics is a survivor from Dunkirk in WW2. he was 16 at Dunkirk! Lied about his age! Another guy there from the Paras turned 18 on the Norland on his way down.

Dan Smith

« Reply #76 on: Feb 24, 2013, 03:17 PM »
i found a nice article from the DailyMail showing some nice photos from onboard and a nice backstory of the photographer :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2128733/Queen-went-war-Amazing-pictures-QE2-sailed-Falklands.html

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #77 on: Mar 27, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Here are some powerful images of QE2 arriving back from the Falklands in 1982

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevardmedia/sets/72157633100311907/

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #78 on: Mar 27, 2013, 10:20 PM »
I honestly cannot describe how proud I was of my country at that time.
Right or wrong. The UK was given a challenge and we met it!
Both the military and civilian forces. Did the UK a great service.
I was, and still am extremely proud to have been a part of it.
Sacrifice yes, danger yes, but no more than our troops are doing now and have done for a very long time.
God Bless them!

Offline CAP

« Reply #79 on: Apr 03, 2013, 09:07 AM »
No wishing to distract from Rod's fine epitaph but I was wondering does anyone know the date the ship was actually relinquished from Government service?  Lynda's timeline above indicates when Cunard was informed of the requisition but not the actual, formal return to them.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2013, 09:48 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #80 on: Apr 10, 2013, 10:09 AM »
We received an email in the Admin mail box this morning from the son of Nigel Broackes Chairman of the Trafalgar House company.  It was lovely to hear his pride in the fact that his father was referred to as the owner of QE2. But the real reason for writing to us was with the passing of Margaret Thatcher he remembered this story linking Margaret Thatcher, the Falklands and the QE2. 

Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I did this morning. 

my father wasn't the captain of the qe2! he was the chairman of the company... which owned the company... which owned the company... which owned cunard...

i grew up in a world where people referred to my dad as OWNING the qe2! this wasn't completely true, but i was still incredibly proud, and i hope those that love her will understand why i make no apology for that pride.

one small anecdote, which you might like to publish to your readers, is about early 1982...

i was at a fairly well known school, near slough, and i had been caught smoking. the policy was "honour amongst thieves", so this wasn't reported to your parents... YOU were expected to tell them yourself.

it was about 8pm, and i remember shaking with fear as i held the 2p against the slot on the payphone... and it being engaged. i tried again, and again... but it was still engaged. i knew that my parents were not fans of evening phone chat, so i was quite bemused...

i kept on trying, and eventually there was a ringing tone - my mother answered. it was definitely better that SHE had answered, so i got straight to the point and blurted out my admission, my regret,  and my apologies... before she could hand the phone to my father!!

i remember my mother 'pausing', and the saying "well you ARE a lucky b*gger... the reason the line was engaged was because your father had margaret thatcher on the phone - she was asking to borrow the qe2 and the atlantic conveyor for the falklands!"

please do feel free to post this - i hope it might raise a smile or two
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline ship pro

« Reply #81 on: Apr 10, 2013, 01:45 PM »
Thanks for posting this a very interesting story!

I had met Sir Nigel and Sir Victor Mathews,Managing Director Trafalgar house, on several occassions, infact it was Sir Victor, as chairman of the Daily Express, who arranged a Ball on HMS Hermes after the Falklands, where all participants of the campaign were represented by 800 guests. I was chosen to represent Cunard and arrived in Southampton on QE2 from New York at 5.30 pm and I was HMS Hermes in Portsmouth at 7pm, several Admirals at the table mentioned how they had arrived by helicopter however, they said my mode of transport was somewhat more impressive!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #82 on: Apr 10, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Thanks for posting this, it just shows how far reaching this forum is.

Anyone who watched the Whickers World on QE2 all those years ago and l was one, will remember Nigel Broackes being interviewed by Alan in the famous penthouse suite and that long sofa and his phrase "We couldnt buy QE2 we had to buy Cunard" and the shots of him on the bridge as QE2 sailed into Auckland.

Perhaps at some later date when time permits lm sure the rest of us on hear would love to hear more of your own personal thoughts of QE2 & as the son of the owner of QE2  ;) and were you on that world cruise ?
Thanks again
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #83 on: Apr 16, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Apparently, after the Falklands, Thatcher made a visit to QE2 and landed on the heli deck in the Trafalgar House helicopter to meet Nigel Broackes in Southampton.  Does anyone have the photo of this historic occasion?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #84 on: Apr 16, 2013, 08:22 PM »
I've never come across such a visit Rob and it surely would have even documented.

In the three visits she did make to the ship we made sure the band struck up 'Isn't She Lovely' as she entered the Queens Room. Carol later told me Lady T was touched by that and Carol also told me that a painting of QE2 we had specially-commissioned of QE2 (by Robert Lloyd) for Lady T took pride of place in Lady T's Belgravia home.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #85 on: Apr 16, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Iv seen some where a photo with the Trafalgar House helicopter on the deck, but for the life of me lord knows where at..

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #86 on: Apr 16, 2013, 08:57 PM »
It was used all the time Myles for Trafalgar House Execs to drop in, for press to join the ship of for VVIP passengers to join. Perhaps the most use it received in one week was the 150th Anniversary Voyage in July 1990.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #87 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Iv seen some where a photo with the Trafalgar House helicopter on the deck, but for the life of me lord knows where at..

A quick simple search for the word helicopter brings up your dedicated topic  :-)

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2285.0.html

Offline ship pro

« Reply #88 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:56 PM »
With reference to Margaret Thatcher, I believe there was a photo on the front cover of one of the Trafalgar house monthly house magazines showing her getting off a helicopter on the heli deck for lunch around 1983, from memory it was an informal visit.

Online cunardqueen

A Queen is called up
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2013, 06:28 PM »
From a Falklands Magazine..

QE2 Falklands War / Falklands Conflict

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 117
Views: 58278
Last post Nov 22, 2022, 11:00 PM
by Rod
11 June 1982 - QEII arrives at Southampton with Falklands survivors (QE2)

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1980s

Replies: 5
Views: 2550
Last post Jun 13, 2018, 01:05 PM
by Rod
QE2 documentary from after the Falklands War but before her re-engining

Started by Thomas HypherBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 7
Views: 1237
Last post Oct 06, 2020, 11:20 PM
by Andy Holloway
Modifying QE2 for the Falklands Conflict