Author Topic: Vickers shipbuilders Barrow photo archive  (Read 6550 times)

Offline pete cain

Vickers shipbuilders Barrow photo archive
« on: Nov 23, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Can I interest anybody to look at the linked site,   http://www.dockmuseum.org.uk/http://   it contains a host of archive photographs of shipbuilding & the associated engineering in Barrow's proud past, I know other museums have photo archive sections , but have never seen such a comprehensive collection as this, to see the mold loft where all the complex hull shapes were brought to life (without computer aided design)is impressive.I mention this site because all ships were built like this untill very recently.The vessel names section, has an empty dialogue box , click on that & an alphebetical list of all ships & boats built are displayed, click on any name selected & dozens of images pertaining to that vessel are available ( I associate with the O section; Orcades, Oronsay, etc). That's how we did it in Barrow , bet it wasn't different anywhere else eh Rob?....

Offline Tyne Turbine

Re: Vickers shipbuilders Barrow photo archive
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2009, 09:51 PM »
It would appear that many of the vessels listed testify to the proud past of Vickers Armstrong Limited rather than to just their yard at Barrow-in-Furness. Several of the ships mentioned were built at Vickers Armstrongs shipyard at Walker on the Tyne. Vessels that immediately come to mind are HMS King George V and HMS Sheffield (the 6" gun cruiser, which is rather curiously featured with her Type 42 namesake which I believe was built at Barrow-in-Furness).

Memory also seems to suggest that the Monarch and Queen of Bermuda were also built on the Tyne, and I am sure that with more than just a cursory glance at the list there could well be other examples.

No matter where the vessels were built it is at least nice to know that such a tremendous resource has been retained.

Robert.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2009, 01:11 PM »
Dear Robert, it would appear that I have ruffled your feathers, I guess I should've been more explanitory with my intro,& should've emphasized more, my interest with the Orient & P&O liners built there, no offence to you tynesiders intended!. Just think however had the consortia up in the north east had been succesful with their bid to build what we now know as QE2, how different things might 've been...

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2009, 12:57 AM »
Hi Peter,

No need to worry - I hope that Geordies are not such sensitive souls as to take such offence, I am sorry to you if that was what my reply communicated. Being a simple soul I was just surprised if there was such inaccuracy in what could be used as an historical resource. It is possible that they were only intending to imply that certain machinery was built at the Barrow site. As I said the important thing is that such a wealth of material has been retained to everyones benefit.

The Orient Lines vessels in my earlier years were something which I only saw in the distance whilst making a very occasional trip across the Thames on the Gravesend to Tilbury car ferry, that is with the exception of the Orsova which I saw leaving the Tyne after being in the river for a refit. Towards the end of her career I did manage a rather good view of the Oriana at Southampton during a docks cruise.

P&O were more common wih fairly regular sightings of Arcadia, Iberia, Chusan & Himalaya, to say nothing of the Great White Whale which I had the good fortune of seeing at Gourock shortly after her completion at Belfast (as well as her final arrival at Southampton).. Fond memories indeed watching the luggage and passengers being loaded on to the DEPV Talisman from their special train at Gourock. Fate also smiled on me when I was able to see the great send off for the Canberra at Southampton on her first voyage after her return from the Falklands. I was also on board Waverley in 1994 when we accompanied the mini convoy of QE2, Vistafjord and Canberra to sea after the D Day 50th Anniversary Review - three fine liners reflecting the best of Clydebank, Tyneside and Belfast, just a shame Oriana was not still around to complete the hand as a representative of Barrow.

So certainly no offence taken, let us just rejoice in fine ships no matter where they were, or just possibly are, built.

Regards,

Robert.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2009, 11:15 AM »
Thanks Robert,proper ships eh!. regards pete....

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Definitely fine ships indeed Robert and Pete!

A fabulous resource - l'm very lucky to have it almost on my doorstep.
The archivists have been really helpful and at the moment I'm waiting for a few prints of some of the gems from their Oriana collection as a wee Christmas present to myself  ;D
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2009, 05:34 PM »
No doubt I have now upset my friends from Merseyside so I should add "and Windsor Castle" which I think was built at Cammell Lairds if I may trust my failing memory!

Robert.