Author Topic: John Duffy  (Read 26299 times)

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
Re: John Duffy
« Reply #90 on: Jul 14, 2017, 06:26 PM »
With all due respect to the Americans on this forum, Cunard has not been Cunard since the management moved to the US. It is now no longer a luxury shipping company but purely a business.

Well, to be fair to the Americans, I would say that Cunard has not been 'Cunard' since their shipping and resort business was taken over in 1971 by Trafalgar House Investments: the engineering, construction, property development conglomerate. And although THI was a British company, it was certainly not Cunard in its management style, ethos or culture.

There would be many that would say if you didn't sail on the QE2 prior to 1971, you weren't truly a Cunarder; no matter it may have been operating under that brand name when you sailed.

But I would agree that things have slipped further since the take over by Carnivore.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2017, 03:25 AM by Boris »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #91 on: Jul 14, 2017, 09:42 PM »
Anne Bright? 

She had the World club named after her, in the early days about she only had a couple of thousand members,, and a fee of i think £20 a year,  the World club tie,l only ever spotted someone else with one ! bag tags a regular newsy letter and group sailings. The present World club, is l think a bit of a joke, Im a Diamond member and (oh here we go again) the Famous year book they have yet to send out (had it not been for a friend l would never have had any copies) try and get through to them and reservations intercept your call (a paid call l hasten to add) and the Newsletter, well its more a sales promotion, it seems to be reduced to being sent out once a year. Ok l havent sailed since 2008 but that really isnt the point !! Her letters during the refit in 86/87 were a source of much news and interest, and she ran a competition to rename the Double Room to its present name.

Anne Bright ran her club like a family,when you booked a cruise you called the club number, she knew who you were, you chatted, you booked and you felt appreciated . l remember one cruise l was travelling down with  another member in a Stretch Merc, we collected Anne, luggage in the boot and off we set from London to the Polygon. packed sandwiches and a bottle of fiz, for the club lunch, we were arriving early, too early for Annes liking and the order went out, round again driver. As an impressionable teenager,l was in the company of Royality !She gave out onboard credit and you were delighted with whatever she gave you and the world club gifts.Back then you felt appreciated and that was 1988 but times change. Cunards changed  >:(

Given how much Anne was admired and respected by her fans, it was ironic how she passed away.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline GJ

« Reply #92 on: Jul 17, 2017, 01:19 AM »
 Having spoken to  marie  ( mrs duffy ) it is her  wish that any one thinking of  sending condolences  or flowers could you please   Make a donation to THE ROYAL  SOCIETY FOR GUIDE DOGS FOR THE BLIND.    ,   JOHN JNR AND MARIE THANK EVERY ONE FOR THEIR KINDNESS    . 

Online Michael Gallagher

A message from John Duffy's wife and son
« Reply #93 on: Jul 17, 2017, 09:45 AM »
A message from John Duffy's wife and son:

John Duffy

Marie and Johnny Duffy would like to thank all of those Cunard passengers and crew members (both current and former) who have sent messages of love and support to them at this difficult time.
They have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of affection expressed for John, which has helped them deal with their grief as a result of his untimely passing.

Marie and Johnny hope that all will respect and appreciate their wish to hold a private family funeral for John.

It is the family's intention to arrange a memorial service to celebrate John's life at a later date.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 09:29 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Chris

« Reply #94 on: Jul 26, 2017, 12:46 AM »
Thank you for passing on the message Michael.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline GJ

« Reply #95 on: Jul 27, 2017, 08:11 PM »
I was  privileged to attend johns sevice today     Conducted by the QE2 chaplin  farther dave  john would have been proud     I wont  go in to any details as it was a private  afair except to say.  WHITE STAR / CUNARD SERVICE  TO THE END  RIP  JOHN E DUFFY 

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #96 on: Aug 01, 2017, 03:07 PM »
John Duffy's portrait can be found among David Smith's drawings :

Number 12 John Duffy!

John Duffy's portrait here.

It would be lovely if we could get this to his family :) . Ideas welcome!
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2017, 03:09 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #97 on: Oct 30, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Is there any news on a Memorial Service for John yet?  Or have i missed it!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #98 on: Nov 26, 2017, 05:49 PM »
A photo of John, out of uniform, when he was doing the General Manager role, at the front of his favourite ship, with all the officers and crew October 1986 in San Juan. Happy days.

It was nice that QE did that recognition in Liverpool.

Weeks before her re-engining!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

kevinh

« Reply #99 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:25 PM »
I may not have known John Duffy, but I know well enough that death is a sad thing. I am so sorry to hear about his passing. :'( At least he now has a wonderful place and life in Heaven; THAT we can't be sad about. :)

R.I.P. Sir

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #100 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:25 PM »
Great man, only one fault, he supported Everton. Nobody's perfect. ;-)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #101 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Great man, only one fault, he supported Everton. Nobody's perfect. ;-)

Hello Willum
The cushions on the deck chairs of QE2 were dark green, if memory serves correctly.
Have you been on board QM2?  The cushions there are...Everton Blue, no less!

Mr Duffy left a great legacy, not just in terms of upholstery either - the superb standard of hotel service on board all three Cunarders is something he carried over from QE2 to QM2, as well as via Jaquie Hodgson to QV and later to QE.