Author Topic: QE2 Portholes - low down/underwater  (Read 19534 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: QE2 Portholes - low down/underwater
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:00 PM »
If the 'hole' on the starboard side was for viewing the props, cavitation and their condition etc - wouldn't there be one on both sides of the hull?

Bruce Peter et al's QE2 - Britain's Greatest Liner - under Power and propulsion - p65, foot of first column,
'Sea water was taken in through two raked 900mm (3ft) diameter intake pipes, passing through the ships double bottom, beneath the engine room....'
There's no picture of these 'inlet' pipes, I wonder where they might be situated?

Rob - do you know whether there's a cutaway diagram of the lower half of QE2's hull from bow to stern?
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 10:00 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline highlander0108

Re: Shore mains supplies
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Are there more of the 2003 drydock photos?  I'd love to see them and most likely everyone else would too.  Post a link if one exists - thanks!

I have a couple saved, but I apparently did not save the link.  It was on a site that had crew members posting their stories and photos.  I have an interesting one of the props I'll post separately.

Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:49 PM »
No, they only put a viewing porthole on the one side.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:00 AM »
Forgive me, But with the viewing porthole, would you actually be able to see anything worth while?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I can't be certain, but looking at the photo of the underwater 'porthole' it looks as though you would have viewed the propellor from the steering gear compartment. From memory, this was on 7 deck as far aft as you could get. I seem to remember gaining access from 6 deck aft, up the crew stair to 5 deck then along and down to 7 deck.
As with the bow thruster compartment, this compartment was kept locked.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:48 PM »
While not a washing machine view, here's some video of our 5 deck porthole view on a calm day; one of the few days the deadlight was allowed to be opened, on the Farewell to the UK cruise.  You really get the sense of speed at this level and we were making 22 knots at best.  I can't tell you how long I just sat there staring out the porthole!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Taken on the World Cruise 2002 somewhere in the Indian Ocean - the side of the ship became so warm in such waters that individual air conditioners had been fitted in the cabins. They made such a noise, but that didn't matter - we were on the QE2!

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:17 AM »
While not a washing machine view, here's some video of our 5 deck porthole view on a calm day; one of the few days the deadlight was allowed to be opened, on the Farewell to the UK cruise.  You really get the sense of speed at this level and we were making 22 knots at best.  I can't tell you how long I just sat there staring out the porthole!

Thanks for posting, what a relaxing, beautiful view - looks like you had at least one day of decent (or acceptable!) weather!

jdl
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010, 12:17 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rod

« Reply #28 on: Aug 07, 2011, 08:32 PM »
The first set of Grimm wheels worked well they say. We broke at least 2 blades off in NY harbor. They extended way past the bottom of the hull.
What most people do not realize is that the Grimm wheels are not powered. They are just free to rotate with the the movement of the water around them.

As far as the full speed backwards business, this is a requirement from the DoT. They time the length of time it takes to go from MAX full ahead.....to the vessel actually moving astern. Then they keep it going to see how fast it will actually go and see if the vessel will sink or fall apart. This is all in the name of safety. Same as the hard left hard right etc etc...all done on sea trials for a "new" vessel...After re-engining QE2 was considered a new vessel.

Offline Stephen Ballantine

« Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:42 PM »
Likewise, I can’t imagine the “porthole” above the starboard prop would allow any useful observations. At sea, it would be pitch black down there and a propellor moving at those speeds wouldn’t be observable, surely?
Looks more like a discharge or intake to me. And why only on one side?
Question,. What’s a Grimm Wheel and it’s use, please?

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #30 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Grimm Wheel = a kind of experimental high-efficiency propellor system, but it didn't really work.  There's a topic on here somewhere about them.  I'll have a look later and link it, unless someone else beats me to it.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rod

« Reply #31 on: Apr 25, 2019, 02:38 PM »
http://marinewiki.org/index.php/Vane_Wheels

And what does Wiki give us?????
 A Rob Lightbody picture. Way to go Rob!!