Author Topic: QE2 - British Royal Family visits & reviews  (Read 26008 times)

Offline Twynkle

QE2 - British Royal Family visits & reviews
« on: Sep 26, 2009, 12:23 AM »
Captain Woodhall refers to taking Her Majesty The Queen aboard QE2
from Spithead to Southampton as a proud moment...
It's curious - from doing a bit of research,  there seem to be formal records,
yet very  few images etc from individuals who may have been there.
Does anyone have pictures, memories, stories?

1953   Spithead (Coronation)
1965   Clyde      (Partial review)
1969   Spithead (NATO review)
1969   Torbay    (Colour Presentation)
1977   Spithead   (Silver Jubilee)
1990   Spithead   (Cunard 150th)
2003   Plymouth  (Colour Presentation)
2005   Spithead    (International Fleet Review  - Trafalgar commemoration)

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2020, 07:19 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: QE2 and 'Trafalgar 200' - Spithead 2005
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2009, 07:14 AM »

The Spithead was on the 27th July 1990 during the 150 anniversary of Cunard.Are you talking about this one Rosie ?

Louis

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: QE2 and the Spithead reviews
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2009, 08:18 AM »
Rosie you forgot the Royal Review in 1990.

Louis
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2020, 07:18 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2009, 08:22 AM »
Louis - Thank you.
That's interesting; sorry, as it got missed out!

Note: link to Cunard page removed as it is inactive

The dates above were all royal reviews too,
these dates came from the Royal Naval Museum at Portsmouth
http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheets_fleet_reviews.htm

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2020, 09:07 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2009, 08:40 AM »
Note from the Forum Administrator - this text below may not be used outwith this forum without permission.

Here is a list of Royal Visits and Reviews. No other ship....

14 July: HRH The Duke of Edinburgh toured the uncompleted liner and lunched with Cunard Chairman and John Brown Chairman.

20 September: Launched by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in the presence of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh and HRH Princess Margaret.

20 February: HRH Princess Margaret opened the QE2 Exhibition at the Design Centre in London.

19 November: HRH Prince Charles sailed on board from the shipyard in Clydebank to drydock in Greenock.

1 May: HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh visited in Southampton continuing the tradition set by Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.

16 May: While outward bound through Spithead on her second westbound voyage QE2 passed through the assembled multi-national fleet of NATO which HM The Queen was reviewing from the Royal Yacht Britannia. QE2 blew a loyal greeting as she drew abreast of the Royal Yacht. Captain Warwick signaled: “Captain Warwick and the ship’s company of Queen Elizabeth 2 with their humble duty send their best wishes and hope Her Majesty will have an enjoyable day reviewing the NATO fleet. Her Majesty replied: “I am grateful for your signal. I send you and all
            on board my best wishes. Bon Voyage. Elizabeth R.”

29 May: HRH The Duke of Edinburgh again visited and toured the ship in Southampton while presenting the 1969 Council of Industrial Design Awards.

5 March: HRH Princess Margaret paid an informal visit in Barbados. Accompanied by Lord Snowden and a party of 13 she toured all the public rooms, lunched in the Grill Room and enjoyed refreshments in the Captains Cabin and Midships Bar.

May: For QE2’s tenth anniversary, HM The Queen sent a message to QE2’s Captain which read: “I wish her God speed and you and your officers and crew every success in adding to the one million five hundred thousand miles already sailed”.

11 June: Welcomed home in Southampton by HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother on board Royal Yacht Britannia.

2 December: HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother lunched on board in Southampton and unveiled a Falklands Plaque.

3 May: HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother lunched on board in Southampton to mark the 50th anniversary of the Queen Mary’s maiden voyage in 1936.

29 April: HRH The Princess of Wales attended a children’s party on board, and Concorde made a special flypast, to mark the ship’s successful re-engining.

14 December: HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother lunched on board to celebrate the 50th anniversary of her launching the Queen Elizabeth in 1938.

27 July: Royal review of Cunard and Royal Navy ships at Spithead by HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh on board Royal Yacht Britannia. The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh transferred to QE2 by Royal Barge. The Queen then became the first reigning monarch to sail on a commercial liner with passengers.

15 June: HRH The Duke of Edinburgh and HRH Prince Edward attended a Royal Ball on board in Southampton.

12 June: HRH Prince Edward lunched on board to celebrate 40th anniversary of the Queen’s accession.

5 August: HM The Queen and HRH Prince Andrew visited Southampton to join the 175th anniversary of the British Sailor’s Society. After the service Her Majesty boarded the Royal Yacht Britannia and, accompanied by HMS York and Patricia, she reviewed various units of the Merchant Fleet, including QE2.

4 June: HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh reviewed QE2 from the Royal Yacht Britannia as part of the 50th Anniversary of ‘D Day’ Commemorations. Also on board Britannia for the review:

HM The Queen Mother
HRH Princess Margaret
HM Princess Anne
President (and Mrs) Bill Clinton
Prime Minister John Major
The King of Norway
Prince Bernard of the Netherlands
The Presidents of Poland, The Czech Republic and
   Slovakia
The Prime Ministers of Canada, Australia and
New Zealand

17 December: HRH Prince Andrew was guest of honour at lunch on board in Southampton to mark return to service after her major refit.

17 July: HRH Princess Anne lunched on board in Edinburgh prior to QE2 leading the Tall Ships out of the Firth of Forth.

28 September: HRH Prince Edward attended a Royal Ball on board in Southampton.

1 May: On the day that QE2 handed over flagship status to QM2, Buckingham Palace sent the following message:
“The Queen was grateful for your message of loyal greetings sent on behalf of Cunard Line and the Ship’s Company of Queen Elizabeth 2 on the occasion of the reception to mark the transfer of the transatlantic role to Queen Mary 2 which is being held on board QE2 today and followed by a lunch on board QM2. Her Majesty and The Duke of Edinburgh remember with pleasure their many visits to the ship and send their best wishes to you for a memorable event”.

28 July: HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh reviewed QE2 from HMS Endurance as part of the Trafalgar 200 Celebrations off Spithead.

2 June: HM The Queen lunched on board as part of her farewell visit.

11 November: HRH The Duke of Edinburgh lunched on board as part of his farewell visit.
?

Boarded / Visited

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh x 7
HM The Queen x 4
HM The Queen Mother x 3   
HRH Prince Edward x 3
HRH Princess Margaret x 1
HRH Prince Charles x 1
HRH Princess Anne x 1
HRH Prince Andrew x 1
HRH Princess Diana x 1

Number of times reviewed during Sailpast

HM The Queen x 4
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh x 3 (all with HM The Queen)
HM The Queen Mother x 2
HRH Princess Margaret x 1
HRH Princess Anne x 1
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2020, 04:18 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Royal (non-British) visits and reviews
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2009, 09:17 AM »
Another wonderful collection for our QE2 History, flagship! Thank you.

I notice that all these royal visits and reviews are from British Royals, though sometimes with non British royal guests.

Visits by foreign royals were presumably fewer, yet probably more than a handful in the course of the forty plus years?
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2010, 09:47 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Twynkle

Re: QE2 royal visits and reviews
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2009, 09:23 AM »
'No other ship...'
Thank you for the list too!

Isabelle - your question about members of other Royal families
Mightn't this also have depended on 'in which capacity?' that any visits were made?

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2009, 09:39 AM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Royal (non-British) visits and reviews
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Visits by foreign royals were presumably fewer, yet probably more than a handful in the course of the forty plus years?

Click here for the topic discussing visits by members of non-British Royal families
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

Re: British Royal Family visits & reviews
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2011, 03:35 PM »
QE 2 also took part in a review in NY harbor while Ronald Reagan was President. QE 2 was chartered for 3 days by Chrysler/Lee Iaccoca as a reward for his top Execs. We were parked next to HMS Ark Royal, loaned some of our launches to her. 2 Harriers from the Ark did a salute to the Statue of Liberty. On their return to the Ark one flew VERY slowly down the port side boat deck with the pilot waving to the passengers! I watched the fireworks from a gun platform on the Ark.
Reagan sailed through the international fleet on the USS New Jersey.

bobso

« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Link here to an interesting feature that i found. Credit to Cunard as that is where i found the photo.Scroll down to the bottom of the list to see a picture of "Her Majesty" --the Queen--on board the Queen Elizabeth 2 posing with past captains---I am also enclosing a bigger picture of the event.

Thanks also to Lynda for her help in posting this link.

http://www.qe2.org.uk/news.html
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2011, 11:14 AM by bobso »

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2011, 05:12 PM »
That was a great day. I was standing next to the photographer. Meeting The Queen in the Queens Room was the highlight of my time at Cunard.

Pat Curry

« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:19 PM »
That was a great day. I was standing next to the photographer. Meeting The Queen in the Queens Room was the highlight of my time at Cunard.
Wow ... I should say so.
Can you identify them?  I can do Captains McNaught and Perkins, and I think Heath.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:03 PM »
That's Cdr Warwick on the right in the bow tie isn't it?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Yes it is -- and I think that is Nick Bates under the smoke of the Mauretania funnels.

Pat Curry

« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Yes it is -- and I think that is Nick Bates under the smoke of the Mauretania funnels.

Yes agreed, Cdr Warwick and Captain Bates.  Nice to get the others identified.  Flagship can you help?

Princess Cruises new Royal Princess.

Started by CruisemarshBoard Ships

Replies: 4
Views: 1824
Last post Mar 17, 2011, 04:16 PM
by Cruisemarsh
Poll for the June 2018 competition QE2 for Family and Children

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 10
Views: 2693
Last post Aug 01, 2018, 01:37 AM
by June Ingram
Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 0
Views: 411
Last post Jul 16, 2020, 12:15 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Royal Yacht Britannia moves to Dry Dock

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The Royal Yacht Britannia