Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Captain Ian McNaught  (Read 23838 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: Captain McNaught has resigned from Cunard
« Reply #80 on: Jun 03, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Is this Captain McNaught's ship?
It appears that he wasn't at the helm for this transit.
http://blog.seabourn.com/transiting-the-corinth-canal
(Somewhere that Queen Elizabeth won't be able to squeeze through,either...!)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Jeff Taylor

Re: Captain McNaught has resigned from Cunard
« Reply #81 on: Jun 03, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Ditto Chris's comments on Commodore Warner.  Bernie's a charming guy with a great sense of humor and very entertaining.  I was on his first QM2 cruise when he relieved Ron Warwick after the Ft. Lauderdale pilot crunched the pod leaving port--overall an awkward scene.  Was fortunate enough to have dinner at his table one evening and enjoyed it thoroughly.  He clearly understands the difference between Princesss and Cunard and takes to his new role.  Amazing memory for names and faces, although he did keep Ray Rouse close by in those early days.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Photos of QE2 Captain Ian McNaught
« Reply #82 on: Jul 26, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Does anyone have nice images of Captain McNaught on QE2 (not on QV) that we can use to illustrate the 'Ask the Captain' topic?

Thanks.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Photos of QE2 Captain Ian McNaught
« Reply #83 on: Jul 26, 2010, 10:44 PM »

Offline andy liney

« Reply #84 on: Jul 27, 2010, 09:33 AM »

Offline Andrew W

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #86 on: Aug 02, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Rob, will send original if you want.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: Captain McNaught - which ship is he on now?
« Reply #88 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Good news!

A very fitting appointment for a very professional man.

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #89 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:30 AM »
I am so pleased with this appointment for Captain McNaught.  He was my favourite captain on the QE2 as he was such an approachable person.  Congratulations to the Captain. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #90 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:30 PM »
Not just a wonderful mariner but a brilliant communicator, something which will serve him well in his new role.

A well deserved appointment in which I wish him every success.

Offline Chris Frame

QE2's Captain McNaught to take charge of UK's lighthouses
« Reply #91 on: Jan 28, 2011, 03:10 AM »
This is from Captain Greybeard's Facebook Page:

QE2's Captain McNaught to take charge of UK's lighthouses
by Captain Greybeard on Wednesday, 26 January 2011 at 23:47

Congratulations to Captain Ian McNaught, former master of Queen Elizabeth 2, who has found a new berth as Deputy Master of Trinity House, which looks after the lighthouses around the British coast.

After 40 years at sea, more than 20 of them with Cunard, he finally gets a home posting.

Captain McNaught, 56, a Wearsider from Washington, was in command of QE2 when it sailed off to retirement in Dubai in November 2009. He hosted a lunch for Prince Philip - who is Master of Trinity House - and made an emotional speech before the ship left Southampton for the last time.

He was also on the bridge when I crossed to New York aboard the liner earlier that year.

Last year he joined the Seabourn fleet - like Cunard, part of the Carnival comglomerate - where he was reunited with a former boss, Pamela Conover.

Trinity House is responsible for all the navigational aids in British waters - as well as lighthouses they include beacons, buoys and modern satellite technology

Captain McNaught said: "Having spent nearly 40 years at sea, my selection as Deputy Master of Trinity House is the pinnacle of a successful career as a Master Mariner. It provides me with an opportunity to lead the principal maritime fraternity and institution in the country for the benefit of Maritime Britain, the shipping industry, and all the seagoing community. There is, I believe, no greater opportunity than this to use all my maritime experience and expertise gathered during my career at sea."

In the position of Executive Chairman of Trinity House, Captain McNaught will lead the General Lighthouse Authority responsible for the safe navigation of some of the world's busiest shipping lanes and pioneers of research in to new technologies to improve the effectiveness and efficiencies of the aids to navigation it provides. As Deputy Master of the Corporation of Trinity House he will be responsible for the activities of the UK's largest endowed maritime charity.

Captain McNaught will join Trinity House in September, on the retirement of Rear Admiral Sir Jeremy de Halpert.

He'll have a new boss as Master of the Corporation by then, as well. The Princess Royal will be taking over the job from her father, who has held the position since 1969.

Source: http://captaingreybeard.com

Offline Jem

Re: QE2's Captain McNaught to take charge of UK's lighthouses
« Reply #92 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:34 AM »
I wish him all the very best in his next job. I'm sure he'll excel in it. :)

bobso

Re: Captain Ian McNaught
« Reply #93 on: Jul 02, 2011, 06:29 AM »
Here is a link to an interesting site with lots of pictures of the man himself.--- 8)

http://images.mitrasites.com/photo/captain-ian-mcnaught.html

bobso

Re: Captain McNaught
« Reply #94 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:40 PM »

Interesting link here about Captain Ian McNaught elected Deputy Master of the Corporation of Trinity House--

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9384494.Mariner_to_lead_safety_on_sea/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #95 on: Nov 26, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Interesting link here about Captain Ian McNaught elected Deputy Master of the Corporation of Trinity House--

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9384494.Mariner_to_lead_safety_on_sea/

What was his original role when he joined them earlier this year?

Offline Andy F

« Reply #96 on: Nov 26, 2011, 06:04 PM »
What was his original role when he joined them earlier this year?
IIRC he was initially sworn in as an Elder Brother back in January '11 prior to taking up this new post.
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2011, 07:16 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline riskygizmo

Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

Re: Captain Ian McNaught
« Reply #99 on: Jul 19, 2013, 10:04 PM »
Good for him...a really nice guy!