Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Captain Ian McNaught  (Read 23840 times)

Online cunardqueen

Re: Captain McNaught has resigned
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:11 AM »
IF this is true, Im sorry to hear it. I do wonder if those at Carnival realise what a loss he will be, Perhaps they just didnt like the constant references to QE2.
 Imagine if he came aboard here, the stories he could tell..... Then again maybe hes one of the many many guests that visit.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:41 AM »
This news is reminiscent to me of how I felt when I saw the news that Cunard sold QE2; hoping it was a joke or unconfirmed rumor, but gut wrenching to find out it was quite true.  I thank Captain McNaught for 17 magical days onboard QE2 with him at the command.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Andrew W

« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:59 AM »
Maybe he got a new, better job - like Captain of QE2 ???!!

(I assume, by the way, that like the newly opened and renamed "Burgh Khalifa", QE2 will now be renamed for one of Dubai's other big creditors ... the MV King Abdullah etc.?)

Offline MiamiCunarder

Re: Captain McNaught has resigned *update*
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:50 AM »
Well, according to Cunard Captain McNaught has completed his services with Cunard and is switching over to Seabourn.

Ron

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:20 AM »
Reuniting with Pam Conover! Now there was a fantastic CEO for Cunard!
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2010, 02:07 AM by Chris »

Offline andy liney

« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Once, when crossing the Atlantic, I asked him what a Rhum Line course was (he had mentioned in his noon address that we were switching to one from a Great Circle course). Not only did he take the time to answer the question, he took me to an actual chart and spent over an hour explaining the difference in detail. Wonderful!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:34 AM »

Maybe i can understand his reasons..............,maybe its the some reasons like i had when leaving the QE2. ( of course we had different positions lol ).

Louis

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Once, when crossing the Atlantic, I asked him what a Rhum Line course was (he had mentioned in his noon address that we were switching to one from a Great Circle course). Not only did he take the time to answer the question, he took me to an actual chart and spent over an hour explaining the difference in detail. Wonderful!

(Image removed from quote.)

forgive the quick off topic question but who is the non uniformed person on the bridge wing - security ??

Back on topic if he has gone to seaborne then that's great in one way as they smaller more intimate ships allowing more contact with officers and crew. But, bad news as meeting him moves up a notch financially!!!
Jdl

Jdl

KEV

« Reply #48 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:31 PM »
"forgive the quick off topic question but who is the non uniformed person on the bridge wing - security ??"

Could be Marty from Randall and Hopkirk-something definately seems to be going on in another world now

Good Luck to Capt McNaught

By the Way Happy New Year everybody

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2010, 01:33 PM by Kev »

Offline andy liney

« Reply #49 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:31 PM »
The non-uniformed person was the pilot, we were just leaving Quebec.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #50 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:28 PM »
What am I going to do??, only just booked a voyage, sorry (cruise) on wet nose vikki,  I know what you're all thinking,     but really , I  needed a rail to lean on, & Twynkle says it's not that bad if you just look out to sea at all times, so went for it. However, was going to take me favourite QE2 book with me in the hope I could get him to sign it, in return I've bought a couple of I heart QE2 badges which I was going to quietly put in his pocket, Seabourne are well out of range , so guess I'll just have to wear them with pride one on each lapel, how about I heart Mc Naught badges, a true gent!! I wish him all the best, another link to dear old QE2 gone though.....

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #51 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:44 PM »
So technically, isn't Captain McNaught still with Carnival?  Isn't the Yachts of Seabourn part of the vast Carnival empire?

Offline MiamiCunarder

Re: Captain McNaught has resigned from Cunard
« Reply #52 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:14 PM »

Indeed it is. And their offices are still at 6100 Blue Lagoon Dr Ste: 400, in Miami. This is where Cunard operated alongside Seabourn from '97 to '04 with Larry Pimentel and later Pam Conover at the helm. I joined Cunard just as Larry was leaving in 01. Nice to know the offices are still being used.

Ron

richc1977

« Reply #53 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Can we invite him as guest of honour at our forum meet in April 2010?

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #54 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:48 PM »
I am still finding the verb "resigns" a bit puzzling in this context. I wonder what it means...

Ian McNaught was such a memorable captain of QE2. His love of QE2 shone out, and at the same time he also had all those human qualities which made it easy and delightful to interact with him. When we checked in for our last cruise, I asked the lady at the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal which captain we would have. "The young one, the good-looking one", she winked. I am sure that many of us felt this was so true!

I hope he will find a new home at sea for himself on another ship, and wish him well for his future career!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #55 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:00 PM »
This is not really surprising news...I think Capt Macnaught has been very frustrated with Cunard for a very long time.

Now QE2 has gone....Cunard aren't really interested in anything gone by whether  passengers ,crew, ship ,or whatever....so now the senior crew are leaving Cunard too???

Says it all really........the glory days of true Ocean Liner Cruising is well and truly over...its a mass market package holiday.

He was always charming, polite and great fun.. we have many wonderful memories of him on board,.and he  had a great sense of pride in his wonderful QE2..the true pinnacle of his career...he appeared to be very fair and stood no nonsense....so I think very respected too...

Ian I wish  you well.....and hope our.paths cross again one day.....

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #56 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:04 PM »
As far as I can now tell he did resign, from Cunard, and this site was the one that broke the news, by some margin.  Thank you to my source.

Cunard were forced to admit this on Facebook when 'MiamiCunarder' Ron asked them to confirm the news :-

Quote from: Ron Acosta on Facebook
Can Cunard confirm Captain Ian McNaught's resignation from the Line?

Quote from: CUNARD on Facebook
Yes. Captain McNaught is completing his service with Cunard and will begin service with our sister-company Seabourn at the end of this month.

We thank him for his many years of dedicated service to Cunard Line and wish him all the best.

I think its a shame that Cunard didn't take the lead with this, and post a nice tribute to him, rather than it having to come out by the back door.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #57 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Will he be Master of the new classy Seabourn ship??  looooooks real nice!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #58 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:51 PM »
So this news actually is not as dire as perhaps originally thought.  Perhaps a break from Cunard for awhile until they assign someone else to manage the line is not a bad idea for him.  Perhaps he just needs a break, but I suspect that even on Seabourn, people will ask him about his favorite ship.  But then again, by that time, all memories of QE2 will have been systematically removed.  :'(

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Will he be Master of the new classy Seabourn ship??  looooooks real nice!

I was just about to post that an 'invite' (read marketing invitation for the inaugural cruise) for Seabourn Sojourn that launches in June 2010 landed on my doorstep this morning. 

For my money this is where Captain Mcnaught is going, a few months supervising the last months of the handover and then a brand new ship to command - It's certainly a very tempeting offer and one he was denied by Cunard when they gave away the new QE to someone else.

I'm not convinced with Sojourn's looks  though, she isn't that bad, but, the twin rear funnel stacks and what looks like a viewing area infront of the bridge just don't look right in my book.

jdl