Author Topic: QE2 Poetry & Poems  (Read 5221 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: QE2 Poetry & Poems
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 05:11 PM »
This is beautiful, Lynda !  Today more than ever, our beloved QE2 needs a Prince to set her free.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Poem written and recited by me to open the QE2 Story 50 Year conference in Clydebank in September 2017 celebrating 50 years since the launch of the ship at John Brown's shipyard. 

The girl with the camera and me
By Lynda Bradford

I sit restrained by these chains, watching waiting for what is to be.

The shipyard stands still, yet out of the shadows a girl steps forward, a camera in her hand
She looks at me and I at her, a connection of what is to be!

I want to break free, but must wait for the ceremony that will give me a name and a place on the sea.  I want to break free!

I see her looking, admiring me.  What is the connection?  Why is that girl looking at me?

I’ve been formed by steel, a design icon, shaped by the men that built me.  My keel was laid and from that grew a ship, waiting for her launch, waiting to break free.

But why is that girl looking at me?

She is leaving now and with one last glance, smiles and waves, knowing I want to break free.

In fifty years from now where will we be…..where will we be?
The girl with the camera and me.

On 19 September 1967 the John Brown’s shipyard in Clydebank, did indeed stand still.  The final preparations had been made for the launch of the 736 and the ship sat in the stocks, restrained waiting and watching.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:07 PM »
And this is the prize-winning picture that the girl with the camera took that day :

Now gracing the cover page of the 2019 QE2Story Calendar :) .

https://theqe2story.com/2019Calendar/

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Not bad, is it?  ;)

That photo is an absolute belter. To be standing there shortly before history is made and capture a picture that cannot ever be re-captured - priceless!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Poem written and recited by me to open the QE2 Story 50 Year conference in Clydebank in September 2017 celebrating 50 years since the launch of the ship at John Brown's shipyard. 

The girl with the camera and me
By Lynda Bradford

I sit restrained by these chains, watching waiting for what is to be.

The shipyard stands still, yet out of the shadows a girl steps forward, a camera in her hand
She looks at me and I at her, a connection of what is to be!

I want to break free, but must wait for the ceremony that will give me a name and a place on the sea.  I want to break free!

I see her looking, admiring me.  What is the connection?  Why is that girl looking at me?

I’ve been formed by steel, a design icon, shaped by the men that built me.  My keel was laid and from that grew a ship, waiting for her launch, waiting to break free.

But why is that girl looking at me?

She is leaving now and with one last glance, smiles and waves, knowing I want to break free.

In fifty years from now where will we be…..where will we be?
The girl with the camera and me.

On 19 September 1967 the John Brown’s shipyard in Clydebank, did indeed stand still.  The final preparations had been made for the launch of the 736 and the ship sat in the stocks, restrained waiting and watching.

Awesome poem, Lynda !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !