Author Topic: QM2 problems  (Read 785 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QM2 problems
« on: Jun 15, 2024, 12:02 AM »
Reports that QM2 was adrift yesterday for about 8 or 9 hours while they "reset her power systems" which seems to have happened a number of times recently.

Further reports that she then wasn't able to make up time due to a gas turbine being out of service... 25 knots seemed to be all that was available.

Anyone know any more?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QM2 problems
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2024, 09:21 PM »
I've heard lots of reports recently of problems with QM2.  Two things that come up are staff problems due to them moving too many to QA, and cost cutting particularly in the food quality.

Ben and David (massively popular YouTubers) have just crossed the Atlantic with her and absolutely loved the ship, but were disappointed with everything else.  I have to say, I'm concerned, as we have a very expensive crossing booked for later this year.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2024, 09:56 PM »
Cost cutting on a basic service like food doesn't sound good to me - especially when we're talking about what should be right at the top of the market... hopefully this will all be resolved before your trip; it's enough time for the fresh crew to have learned the ropes as well.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2024, 10:32 AM »
- especially when we're talking about what should be right at the top of the market...

What market?  Cunard is an ordinary, mainstream cruise line nowadays as far as I can see, it just happens to be charge more for it.  Those reviewers don't even think it's a very good mainstream cruise line...  Not sure how long they'll get away with it.  My previous experiences combined with being lucky enough to try silversea recently, has changed my view of things considerably.

But I adore big Mary, as they did. She, and her special transatlantic route, are incredibly special and needs to be treated by her operators very carefully indeed. It should be a unique experience.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2024, 10:51 AM »
I would take with a pinch of salt the review in the video you have posted.  You have sailed on QM2 before, you like the ship and I am sure you will have a wonderful transatlantic crossing.

The reviewers mentioned problems with the air conditioning and light bulbs needing replaced.  Our experience on this year's WC on QV - problem with air conditioning phone purser office, problems solved.  I cannot believe those two commented on the lighting when they only needed to report to the purser's office or mention to the cabin steward and the bulbs would be replaced. 

Not a very full review that cut to adverts after the guy mentioned the demographics on the ship being of the older variety.  Not sure if they reviewed any more of the ship.  Basically I don't think Cunard cruises would be the right choice for the two reviewers.

They mentioned Princess and P&O cruises several times, which makes me think they wanted to promote these cruise lines.  I regret watching the video as they probably get paid every time the video is viewed and I have contributed. 

I do agree about the satellite connection for TV cutting out, which needs to be fixed.

Cunard have made a mistake introducing the new Queen Anne to the market at a time when they were recovering from loss of crew after Covid, so training new staff will take time. 
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2024, 11:18 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2024, 04:02 PM »
I agree about not believing everything you see on YouTube, the trouble is it sounds uncannily like the experience of someone I know from a couple of months ago, in fact he's just told me that he thought they were being generous in the video...

COVID has clearly had an enormous impact across the industry.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2024, 05:23 PM »
Recurring themes here

Ship is beautiful
Service awful
Food average at best
Drinks very expensive
Not understanding in what way it's a premium line.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2024, 11:00 AM »
I got bored listening to these two moaning about everything.  They got a four night cruise for £299 pp and they even moaned about the price. 

One moan was about the dietary requirements.  I am pescatarian and have found that the Head Waiter gives attention to people with dietary requirements.  Some understanding has to given that on the first evening they are particularly busy but always I have been given the next evening's menu to ensure there is something I like, plus I am given vegan and vegetarian menus.

They like P&O cruises so perhaps they should cruise with them. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2024, 11:25 AM »
They seemed very impressed with Mary herself - nobody is disappointed in her it seems, Stephen Payne's design continues to wow 20 years on which is great, and they enjoyed the entertainment.  They're correct about the drinks pricing (in my opinion) so that really just leaves the service that they're moaning about.  I think the ship must just be short-staffed just now.

A friend-of-a-friend is boarding today for the transatlantic crossing, we'll see what they have to say! 

I think the advertising is part of the issue for Cunard though.  The advertising (on telly just now frequently) shows Cunard as very luxurious, and I think it just raises expectations too high.  A similar trap that QE2 Dubai is falling into I think.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2024, 01:23 PM »
That per night cruise price caught my attention, I'm sorry they were disappointed but 75 Pounds per night is not bad at all.
Our Cruise on Celebrity last year was $400 per night with a discount, by the way we were delighted by everything on that trip :D

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2024, 06:33 PM »
That per night cruise price caught my attention, I'm sorry they were disappointed but 75 Pounds per night is not bad at all.
Our Cruise on Celebrity last year was $400 per night with a discount, by the way we were delighted by everything on that trip :D

Booking 2 weeks before seemed to be the main source of the bargain, lucky them . If you live fairly close to Southampton and you're retired, last minute bookings would be great, I'd love that.  Some of us unfortunates have to book it in a year in advance and schedule it in with other commitments!

I did like their parking tip too.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2024, 06:44 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2024, 02:55 PM »
in terms of any delays QM2 left for New York on time yesterday with Queen Anne following her down Southampton Water on a beautiful evening looking at Solent Ships webcam footage. It is interesting to see the two ships in one shot as QA is so angular compared to QM2 - which was accused of the same thing in 2004 compared to the truly curvy QE2!

As this one of her unusual six night crossings she was doing 26 Knots down the English Channel later that evening  so should arrive on schedule on 29th June if can maintain that speed as 24 knots needed overall. .

I have not had the chance to view video yet in this thread but the drop off in Cunard service levels has been a staple of dinner table conversations amongst regular Cunarders ever since my first QE2 trip in 2003. I am booked on QM2 for a return crossing in October - first trip since 175th anniversary crossings in 2015 so will be interesting to note any significant changes since then.

I have also been led to believe that service on short cruises such as 4 days as in case featured here can be more rushed / lower than on longer perhaps more relaxed itineraries so such first timers may get a misleading impression.

Gary

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2024, 04:28 PM »
in terms of any delays QM2 left for New York on time yesterday with Queen Anne following her down Southampton Water on a beautiful evening looking at Solent Ships webcam footage. It is interesting to see the two ships in one shot as QA is so angular compared to QM2 - which was accused of the same thing in 2004 compared to the truly curvy QE2!

As this one of her unusual six night crossings she was doing 26 Knots down the English Channel later that evening  so should arrive on schedule on 29th June if can maintain that speed as 24 knots needed overall. .

I have not had the chance to view video yet in this thread but the drop off in Cunard service levels has been a staple of dinner table conversations amongst regular Cunarders ever since my first QE2 trip in 2003. I am booked on QM2 for a return crossing in October - first trip since 175th anniversary crossings in 2015 so will be interesting to note any significant changes since then.

I have also been led to believe that service on short cruises such as 4 days as in case featured here can be more rushed / lower than on longer perhaps more relaxed itineraries so such first timers may get a misleading impression.

Gary

A 6 night crossing!!  I'd have absolutely loved that!!  Lucky passengers (but how many of them on board know or even care...!).

Can you please come back and give a bit of a review of your crossing?  Cunard QM2 crossings are, after all, still a direct link back to QE2.  I'm assuming its all just teething problems due to the crew moving around the newly expanded fleet.

My first trip on QE2 as an adult, was a 2 night party cruise, where I remember... boarding and going straight into a lovely afternoon tea, exceptional service in the BG restaurant (it was this that made me really realise what I'd been missing all those years...)  and amazing cocktails - rather too many...  she wowed me with her service from her happy crew the moment we stepped on board.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2024, 03:58 PM »
  I have not had the chance to view video yet in this thread but the drop off in Cunard service levels has been a staple of dinner table conversations amongst regular Cunarders ever since my first QE2 trip in 2003.   

If recent postings on various sites are anything to go by then the presentation of meals on plates and the quantity are leaving a  lot to be desired.   However with these new ships there are so many more venues and those seated on larger tables do you ever get the whole 8 sitting together for Dinner.

Part of my reasoning for not wanting to sail Cunard again is the fact walking down the gangway feeling disappointed is something l would hate. And perhaps the feeling on QE2 we never had it so good..and didn't probably realise it .

A 6 night crossing!!  I'd have absolutely loved that!!  Lucky passengers (but how many of them on board know or even care...!). 

l was just thinking back 38 years ago today l was disembarking after 5 night crossing. Most of my crossing were 5 nights. On the farewell crossings in 2008 we slowed down to 6 nights and often late at night on deck you felt you could have walked faster. Now l believe its taking a week to pop over the pond ,     

My first trip on QE2 as an adult, was a 2 night party cruise, where I remember...   
Ah Rob..... the glory days we remember them well
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #14 on: Jun 26, 2024, 01:47 PM »
Having full tables for fixed dining has been an issue for a number of years - even on QE2 voyages in 2005 and 2007 I remember as well as on QM2 and was a major issue on the Zaandam last year.

It strikes me that are people just saying they want a fixed when asked by their travel agent on booking when they have no intention / commitment of doing so which with the rise in popularity of flexible dining and alternative restaurants is understandable - there will inevitably be a dwindling number of people who continue to prefer the fixed option over time.

It would be helpful if once on board and it becomes clear how many people actually want a fixed table, these  could then be reallocated /concentrated on tables that are full rather than spread thinner over a larger number of tables. This might mean some extra time and effort from Maître D's but should be possible - on voyages of a reasonable length - if they truly want to provide the best possible dining experience.

This is an issue I will be interested in on the October crossings on QM2 plus QA's maiden in January - which has more alternative dining options available so in theory should be more affected particularly as a new ship which many will not have sailed on before.

Gary

1968/69 problems which delayed Cunard acceptance of QE2

Started by WaverleyBoard QE2 Build

Replies: 8
Views: 6848
Last post Apr 06, 2010, 08:50 AM
by Mauretania1907
I thought QE 2 occasionaly had problems

Started by RodBoard Ships

Replies: 7
Views: 1453
Last post May 09, 2018, 08:13 AM
by Peter Mugridge
Anchoring Problems

Started by Bruce NichollsBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 6
Views: 2894
Last post Nov 07, 2012, 10:08 PM
by Rod
US Coast Guard fails ship (problems with QE2 after 1994 Refit)

Started by Louis De SousaBoard The 1990s

Replies: 9
Views: 4952
Last post Jan 23, 2018, 02:44 PM
by Trevor Harris
Boiler problems on leaving Southampton for the Falklands

Started by Thomas HypherBoard The 1980s

Replies: 3
Views: 1425
Last post Aug 03, 2017, 12:31 PM
by Rod