Author Topic: Queen Anne in Kirkwall  (Read 181 times)

Online cunardqueen

Queen Anne in Kirkwall
« on: May 28, 2024, 07:42 PM »
Given that it's my homeland, here's some pics of Queen Anne berthed at Hatston pier.
Interesting in that her previous port was South Queensferry then she spent a day at sea before berthing today. Due to leave 7pm tonight to go back down the coast to Invergordon tomorrow. 
The other ship at anchor I believe her sister. So imagine some six thousand folks being able to venture ashore. The locals I know most will have stayed away, being the number one cruise port in the UK does alas come with the fact that on busy port days your overrun with tourists.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Queen Anne in Kirkwall
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 09:14 AM »
Excellent picture, thanks for posting. 

I can understand the locals will have mixed feelings about the cruise ships.  On the one hand they could boost the local economy but on the other hand lots of tourists to contend with.

The both ship look almost the same apart from the funnel and Queen Anne may be a bit longer.  I think Rob said in a previous post that Queen Anne was a pinnacle class ship, like Holland America ships. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 02:08 PM »
They are excellent photos and a very good comparison of Queen Anne with one of the three HAL Pinnacle ships (Nieuw Statendam) from which her design has bee developed - at around 25 metres longer, 2 metres longer and 14,000 gross tonnes more the QA is effectively a 'Pinnacle Plus' in modern parlance.

It will be interesting to see if any vessels of QA's size follow in the future - there appear to be no ships for HAL currently on order and these are the only two Carnival brands with Pinnacle class vessels at the moment. The other possible recipient of such a ship might be P&O as a world cruise replacement in the long term for Arcadia (originally intended to be a HAL ship then Queen Victoria before reallocation) which is approaching 20 years old. Queen Anne will be the first Pinnacle class ship to do a world voyage ( if she gets under the Bridge of the Americas somehow next January!).

Gary

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2024, 05:13 PM »
Correction - 2 metres wider not longer plus a forward deck / taller mast higher !

Gary

TheQE2Story at RMS Queen Mary : Jan 16th 2010

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 3482
Last post Jan 09, 2011, 01:38 PM
by 3QueensGirl
3D Queen Mary "model" on Google Earth / Google Maps

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 3141
Last post Aug 03, 2016, 08:25 PM
by cunardqueen
The Queen at the Naming of Queen Mary 2

Started by Michael GallagherBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 8
Views: 3431
Last post Jun 15, 2018, 09:35 AM
by Andy Holloway
The last six months aboard the Queen Elizabeth

Started by Bryce FoundlingBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 5
Views: 3390
Last post Feb 01, 2015, 11:28 PM
by cunardqueen
QE2 Launch - Celebration on Queen Mary

Started by CAPBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 1
Views: 2127
Last post Sep 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
by Lynda Bradford