Author Topic: Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 Notes from the Navigator  (Read 1641 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 Notes from the Navigator
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2024, 10:35 AM »
QV World Cruise 2024 - Notes from the Navigator (sector 3)

8 February 2024
Having departed San Francisco yesterday evening, Queen Victoria passed under the Golden gate Bridge outbound, and subsequently transited the San Francisco traffic separation scheme on a south westerly course. Thereafter we began our crossing of the Pacific Ocean en route to Honolulu on Oahu island, in Hawaii. The approximate depth below Queen Victoria's keel today reaches 3,500 metres. Of note, the Tanay Seamounts are a chain of five underwater volcanoes that lie 180 nautical miles due west of San Francisco on the Pacific Tectonic Plate. They were formed about 26 million years ago near a mid-ocean ridge that is no longer actively spreading. They have thick deposits of fragmental volcanic debris on the flanks and very large, overlapping calderas.

9 February 2024
Queen Victoria will be maintaining her South Westerly course throughout the day across the Pacific Ocean. The Pacific Ocean is the largest of the Earth's oceanic divisions. It extends from the Arctic Ocean in the North to the Southern Ocean in the South. It is bounded by Asia and Australia in the west and the Americas in the east. At 165.25 million square kilometres (63.8 million square miles) in area, this largest division of the World Ocean and, in turn, the hydrosphere covers about 46% of the Earth's water surface and about one-third of its total surface area, making it larger than all the Earth's land area combined. The equator subdivides it into the North Pacific Ocean and South Pacific Ocean, with two exceptions: the Galápagos and Gilbert Islands, while straddling the equator, are deemed wholly within the South Pacific. The Mariana Trench in the western North Pacific is the deepest point in the world, reaching a depth of 10,911 metres (35,797ft).

Read from the top of topic plus World Cruise map
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2024, 09:28 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2024, 11:51 PM »
I am very much enjoying your navigational notes accompanied by very interesting commentary and photos ! I am really learning a lot as I follow your cruise ! Many thanks !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2024, 07:16 AM »
I am very much enjoying your navigational notes accompanied by very interesting commentary and photos ! I am really learning a lot as I follow your cruise ! Many thanks !

Thanks June, it is a rather interesting way to follow the World Cruise. 

Do we have any navigators on the forum? - it would be good to hear from them
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2024, 09:21 AM »
QV World Cruise 2024 - Notes from the Navigator (sector 3 contd.)

10 February 2024
Today Queen Victoria will continue her South Westerly course towards the Hawaiian Islands.  We are approximately 10/5 nautical miles off San Francisco and 997 nautical miles off Honolulu. Most Hawaiian species are found nowhere else on Earth, including over 800 plant species, 40 vertebrates, and nearly all its terrestrial native invertebrates. Haleakala or the East Maui Volcano, is a massive, active shield volcano that forms more than 75% of the Hawaiian Island of Maui.

The tallest peak of Haleakala at 10,023 feet is Pu'u 'Ula'ula. From the summit one looks down into a massive depression which is 11.25km across, 3.2km wide, and nearly 800m deep. The surrounding walls are steep and the interior mostly barren-looking with a scattering of volcanic cones. Mauis Mount Haleakala the largest dormant volcano in the World.

11 February 2024
Throughout the night Queen Victoria will set various headings, passing to the north of the Hawaiian Islands of Maui, Kahoolawe, Lanai and Moloka'i. We passed 22.5 nautical miles in between Honolulu and Moloka'i. Tomorrow morning Queen Victoria will alter to a north westerly heading and make her approach towards the harbour on a northerly course, where we will embark our local pilot and proceed through the Honolulu Harbour Channel before berthing by the Aloha Tower.

Time to unpack your grass skirts and Hawaii shirts!

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2024, 09:37 AM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2024, 09:46 AM »
Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 (sector 3 contd.)

12 February 2024
Weather: 25 degrees
Aloha Honolulu. Synonymous with lilting music and magnificent beaches, like world-famous Waikiki, it's also awash with shops, restaurants, and a multitude of historic, cultural and scenic attractions.

The wider island, Oahu, is a Pacific crossroads and a tapestry of cultural diversity, from Polynesian sensuality and Oriental mystique to American pragmatism.

13 February 2024
Weather: 23 degrees
Honolulu, on the island of Oahu's south shore, is capital of Hawaii and gateway to the U.S. island chain. The Waikiki neighbourhood is its centre for dining, nightlife and shopping, famed for its iconic crescent beach backed by palms and high-rise hotels, with volcanic Diamond Head crater looming in the distance. Sites relating to the World War II attack on Pearl Harbour include the USS Arizona Memorial.

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2024, 09:38 AM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #35 on: Jun 04, 2024, 09:27 AM »
Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 - Notes from the Navigator (Sector 3)

14 February 2024
Queen Victoria let go her lines and thrusted off the berth and exited the buoyage channel. Once we disembarked the local pilot we altered to a south south westly heading passing 37 nautical miles off Molokai on our port side. Molokai is the fifth most populated of the eight major islands that make up the Hawaiian Islands archipelago in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. It is 38 miles by 10 miles at its greatest length and width, making it the fifth-largest in size of the main Hawaiian Islands and the 27th largest island in the United States. Today marks a very special day called Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day or the Feast of Saint Valentine, is celebrated annually on February 14 and it has become a significant cultural, religious and commercial celebration of romance and love in many regions of the world.

15 February 2024
Queen Victoria will continue a south westly heading through the North Pacific Ocean. The Pacific Ocean is the largest and deepest of Earth's five oceanic divisions.

We will be passing 224 nautical miles off Teraina (Washington Island) on the port side. Teraina also known as Washington Island is a coral atoll in the central Pacific Ocean and part of the Northern Line Islands which belong to Kiribati. The island is located approximately 4.71° North latitude and 160.76° West longitude. Terai-na differs from most other atolls in the world in that it has a large freshwater lake (Washington Lake), an open lens, concealed within its luxuriant coconut palm forest; is the only permanent freshwater lake in the whole of Kiribati. There are nine villages on Teraina. Its population is increasing from 416 in 1978, to 1,000 by 2000.

www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #36 on: Jun 06, 2024, 09:37 AM »
Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 - Navigator Notes (sector 3 contd.)

16 February 2024
Today Queen Victoria will continue her south south westerly crossing of the Pacific Ocean, as we steam ever closer to the Equator.

Before being able to cross over from the Northern Hemisphere to the South, we need to ask for Neptune's permission, hence our Crossing the Line ceremony today.

The 'Crossing the Line' is an initiation rite within maritime folklore that commemorates a sailor's first crossing of the Equator. The tradition may have originated with ceremonies being held when passing headlands and became a "folly" sanctioned as a boost to morale; alternately created as a test for seasoned sailors to ensure their new shipmates were capable of handling long rough times at sea. Sailors who have already crossed the Equator are nicknamed (Trusty/Honoura-ble) Shellbacks, often referred to as Sons of Neptune; those who have not crossed are nick-named (Slimy) Pollywogs. (In 1832 the name Griffins was noted).

17 February 2024crossed international date line
Onboard ship went to bed on 16 February and next day was 18 February

18 February 2024
Yesterday, Queen Victoria crossed the International Date line which is an imaginary line that changes the position from West to East as the way we are traveling. The international date line, established in 1884, passes through the mid-Pacific Ocean and roughly follows a 180 degrees longitude north-south line on the Earth. It is located halfway around the world from the prime meridian - the 0 degrees longitude line in Greenwich, England. The international date line functions as a "line of demarcation" separating two consecutive calendar dates. Cross to the west and it's one day later; cross back and you've "gone back in time.

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2024, 10:51 AM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #37 on: Jun 08, 2024, 12:59 AM »
Great notes, Lynda ! I have cut a large number of tiny post it notes and am putting them on my globe as I follow your voyage !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #38 on: Jun 08, 2024, 10:40 AM »
Great notes, Lynda ! I have cut a large number of tiny post it notes and am putting them on my globe as I follow your voyage !

That's a brilliant idea, I should do the same by printing notes and adding to my atlas pages.  Even after the World Cruise has ended I am still finding interesting facts when posting the navigator notes.  This BBC bites page about Oceans of the World is intended for children, but in simple terms it gives you facts about the five oceans of the World. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zvy2xbk
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #39 on: Jun 09, 2024, 10:50 AM »
Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 - Notes from the Navigator (sector 3)

20 February 2024
Weather: 28 degrees
Apia is Samoa's wonderful capital, sitting on a natural harbour at the mouth of the Vaisigano River. It is praised widely for its luscious interiors, beautiful beaches, waterfalls and friendly locals.
Apia retains some of its wooden colonial buildings. It is also the burial place of writer Robert Louis Stevenson.

21 February 2024
Queen Victoria let go her lines and thrusted off the berth following the same reciprocal courses as our arrival into Apia. Altering to a Westerly heading passing 3.9 nautical miles in-between Apolima on the port side and Tafua-tai on the starboard side. Apolima is the smallest of the four inhabited islands of Samoa, in central South Pacific Ocean. It lies in the Apolima Strait, between the country's two largest islands. Apolima is the rim of an extinct volcanic crater with a maximum height of 165m. Its area is slightly less than one square kilometer. The only access to the island is by boat. As we make our approaches to Suva we alter to a south Westerly heading before embarking the local pilot and approaching the berth on a Northern approach.

www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #40 on: Jun 12, 2024, 09:51 AM »
Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 Notes from the Navigator (Sector 3)

22 February 2024
Weather: 27 degrees, sunny spells with showers

Suva may be Fiji's capital with 85,000 inhabitants, but Suva's laid-back atmosphere, spectacular scenery and village-style hospitality is something of an antidote to the typical perception of city life. Most of Suva's residents are indigenous Fijians and Indo-Fijians, but there are many minority cultures in the city, which gives it a multicultural feel. Visitors to Suva are welcomed heartily by Fijians, who are known for their friendly hospitality. Wandering around Suva's streets reveals an intriguing blend of colonial and modern architecture, painting a picture of the city's history. Government House was once the home of Fiji's colonial governors, but it is now the Presidential palace. Built in 1882, the building was destroyed by lightning in 1921 and was rebuilt seven years later.

"The ship's tour to a Fiji village was a fabulous experience with a warm welcome, snacks, a tour of the village and to finish a conga around the village hall. "

23 February 2024
Queen Victoria let go her lines, thrusted off the berth and departed Suva. Disembarking the local pilot and continuing a south westly heading. Passing 5.7 nautical miles off Lalati on our starboard side and 3.8 nautical miles off Talaulia on the port side before altering to a southernly heading. On our passage we will be Passing the Minerva Reef approximately 200 nautical miles on our port side. The Minerva reef is a group of two submerged atolls located in the Pacific Ocean between Fiji, Niue and Tonga.
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #41 on: Jun 13, 2024, 03:28 PM »
Great notes and photos, Lynda ! Many thanks !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #42 on: Jun 17, 2024, 10:06 AM »
Queen Victoria World Cruise 2024 Notes from the Navigator (sector 3 contd.)

24 February 2024
Today Queen Victoria maintains her Southerly course across the South Pacific Ocean towards Auckland. As the ship steams across the World you may find the ship rolling; to help reduce this motion we have the ship's stabilisers. These devices are incorporated in the construction of a ship to dampen down rolling in a seaway and provide a more comfortable passage.

As we make our approaches towards Auckland we pass 4.3 nautical miles off Te hauturu o toi/ Little Barrier Island and 7.2 nautical miles off Little Barrier Island, or Hauturu in Maorimlies off the north-eastern coast of New Zealand's North Island. Located 80 kilometres to the north of Auckland, the island is separated from the mainland to the west by the Jelli-coe Channel, and from the larger Great Barrier Island to the east by the Cradock Channel. The two aptly named islands shelter the Hauraki Gulf from many of the storms of the Pacific Ocean. We then begin our transit into Auckland, picking up the local pilot before transiting through the buoyage channel and coming alongside.

25 February 2024
Weather: 22 degrees with a little rain
In a nation where stunning scenery is a given, Auckland doesn't fail to deliver. A watery wonderland on New Zealand's North Island, with yachts meandering through its harbours and adjoining Hauraki Gulf, it's little wonder Auckland is known as the 'City of Sails.
It's also surrounded by more than 48 extinct volcanoes, set against a backdrop of wild and mountainous scenery,
the likes of which New Zealand is famed for. If you're hoping to snap the perfect holiday photographs here, you'll find no shortage of inspiring vistas vying for space in your camera roll.

Photos: view of Auckland and the tower; our Maori tour guide with traditional face tattoos (ta mono) he had this done when he was a teenager and the painful process took several hours in the one sitting.  Maori cultural group in the Royal Court Theatre.  Both tour guide and the cultural group gave a demonstration of the Haka. 

www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #43 on: Jun 18, 2024, 08:46 PM »
QV World Cruise 2024 - Notes from the Navigator
Sector 2: Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco

23 January 2024
Having completed all our departure formalities and let go of our lines, Queen Victoria has begun her voyage down deeper into the Caribbean Sea. Overnight Queen Victoria navigated the Straits of Florida where currents can reach up to 4 knots and is important as it is known as the start of the Gulf Stream, the main weather driver to what we experience back in the United Kingdom. We then proceed to sail along the north side of Cuba and through the Old Baha-man Channel. This passage at its narrowest spans only 12 miles wide and is enclosed by various coral reefs on either side that have challenged seafarers since 1500’s.

24 January 2024
For our second sea day Queen Victoria will steam a more southerly heading, having rounded the eastern edge of Cuba and through the Windward Passage. This is an area of sea that separates Cuba and Haiti, and is the direct shipping path between the Panama Canal and the eastern seaboard of the USA. Later we will alter to the southeast, having passed the islands of Jamaica and cleared the Haitian coast, as we cross the Caribbean Sea bound for Aruba.

I am still way back in the Caribbean and reading forward from time to time when I get the chance. I want to savour these notes.

Really interesting to read about the Caribbean sea. We think so often about the islands and the sea ports, but I had never thought about the sea in between them. These notes are fascinating.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 08:13 PM »
Great notes, commentary, and photos ! Many thanks, Lynda !

TheQE2Story at RMS Queen Mary : Jan 16th 2010

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 3470
Last post Jan 09, 2011, 01:38 PM
by 3QueensGirl
QUEEN ANNE Maiden Voyage - Part - 2

Started by shipnshoreBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 3
Views: 111
Last post Jun 11, 2024, 07:44 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 Launch - Celebration on Queen Mary

Started by CAPBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 1
Views: 2110
Last post Sep 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Steven Adler, QE2 Waiter, Queen's Grill 1981-1985

Started by adlerscBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 44
Views: 19609
Last post Jul 05, 2020, 04:05 PM
by Vincent Scriven
RMS Queen Elizabeth - Port Everglades - Florida - 1970

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 3
Views: 1022
Last post Dec 10, 2022, 06:15 PM
by Rod