Author Topic: Hello from Ed, Ab Ovo  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Ab Ovo

Hello from Ed, Ab Ovo
« on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:10 PM »
One night the phone rang.

The QE2 had been going up and down the Hudson River, not five blocks away, for 13 years. Sometimes I saw her, most times I did not. She was another big ship in the river and I had no special interest in her.  I never thought to book.  I wanted five days IN a country instead of GETTING to it!

I answered the phone.

An ex-neighbor from the back apartment was out in a bar, on a toot, with a pamphlet. Another five-minute idea! Pilots got really special rates on QE2, could go many places at cost.

"Book it" I said.

"What?"

"Book it, I'll go!" He hurrumphed and hurromphed, kerbiddled and kerbobbled and muttered some vague "yeah."

Three months later the phone rang again. Another bar, another toot, same pilot: " I am excited, August 29th mother and I will sail on QE2."

"Mother!!?? What happened to me!!??"

"Aw, kiddo, I can get those low supplier-rates any time, there'll be lots of trips I can go on. You can too."

The next day I was still thinking. I made a few calls. I then called my best friend.

"Do you know what Bill has done now?"  Now, in friendships, quite often one knows a great deal about things, yet another can know quite more, and not speak of it. I told the late night phone calls/QE2 story, and said my ad agency also handled Cunard Hotels and I could get Supplier's Rate, too. I phoned and did not care about the space and booked the cheapest rate I could get. "Wanna" go?" My friend was in the midst of a divorce and glad to get out of town.

The morning of departure, Bill and mother in town, I had him meet me for breakfast at five in the morning so we could go down to the river. "The first time ever you sail on QE2 you really should get up early and see her arrive and sail upriver." He did, we saw. Through the morning midst she came, just after 6 a.m. Larger and larger, then broadside, flashbulbs popping. There was a quiet hush .... yes, I could hear the hush. It was magical! Then we took a cab to 50th Street and saw her dock, milled about the pier and watched the turn-around begin. In those days, 1982, she did it under six hours. Then he headed off for mother and lunch, I said my goodbyes, Bon Voyage!

I went home, got my bags, went back to the pier and met my cabin-mate. An arch of red,blue& white balloons begun the journey; I was all smiles, ear to ear! We were on by one o'clock.

In the Upper Deck restaurant, then called Tables of the World, we checked our table and here along comes Bill and mother. I hid behind a potted palm.

Later, just before departure, music playing and the lights of New York City coming on, I looked out from Quarter Deck down to One Deck, where where Bill and mother. Now! "Oh sir, would you look up here, we'd like a photo."

You talk about surprised! Later in the bar I pulled mother aside and explained her son had not conned her into the trip so she'd pay and he could go run off and play with his buddies.

This was a cruise to Canada, the ship painted n that odd green/gray, just after the Faulklands, August, 1982.

Into the dining room for the first meal. Richard and Thomas attending. Myself and friend Tom seated with two older, larger, librarians. It was great fun. I hadn't been seated half an hour when I looked around a bit more, and it hit me: I Had Come Home To My People!

In years to come I would be on QE2 many more times, in many dining rooms and cabins; I would always have the same feeling, "I am home", and always be glad to be on again; but, oh, what a sweet trip was that first!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: Hello from Ed, Ab Ovo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:47 AM »

Welcome,nice story and hope to hear more you.

Louis

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Welcome, Ed!

Your story makes for fascinating reading, and I hope there will be many more instalments to come!

It is amazing how many people were completely captivated by QE2, once they had set foot on her for the first time. I am delighted that you have found your way here -- enjoy the memories and the details about our favourite ship.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:37 PM »
Hello Ed, Ab Ovo
and Welcome aboard!

It looks as if you may have found the right place!
Enjoy the Forum!
You will find many wonderful memories here
And if you are willing, it will be good to look forward
to hearing more about your experiences on board QE2...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Welcome Aboard Ed!  Great start to your QE2 Story journey with us, hope you enjoy it!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2011, 02:22 PM »
The magic of this forum is it does not matter how long you have been a member of the Forum you still come across a post you have not read before even although it was written a while ago.  I so enjoyed reading this introduction from Ed which made me laugh. 

The feeling of "coming home" when onboard the QE2 is one that is shared by many passengers. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

bobso

Re: Hello from Ed, Ab Ovo and gb
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2011, 10:53 AM »
May i welcome you, Ed --you have joined the best QE2 site there is.Full of lovely people all willing to help you get started in posting your messages. We would welcome more of your stories you may like to tell us of your experiences on board this great liner. Please read through the posts--add your own posts when you can--and above all else--ENJOY YOURSELF.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2011, 12:24 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2019, 10:46 AM »
At the top of this thread is one of those great introductions that, after reading, have you smiling for the rest of the day :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=1576.msg16959#msg16959

Come back, Ed, and tell us some more of your QE2 stories! Between you and your friend the late Stowaway2k, you must have experienced many happy and many amusing moments on board our favourite ship.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2019, 10:59 AM »
At the top of this thread is one of those great introductions that, after reading, have you smiling for the rest of the day :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=1576.msg16959#msg16959

Come back, Ed, and tell us some more of your QE2 stories! Between you and your friend the late Stowaway2k, you must have experienced many happy and many amusing moments on board our favourite ship.

Thanks for reminding us about Ed's introductory post, which is a joy to read.  But also describes how many of us feel about QE2.

"The first time ever you sail on QE2 you really should get up early and see her arrive and sail upriver." He did, we saw. Through the morning midst she came, just after 6 a.m. Larger and larger, then broadside, flashbulbs popping. There was a quiet hush .... yes, I could hear the hush. It was magical!

Welcome back Ed and hope you post lots more memories.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2019, 11:10 AM »
Ed (Ab Ovo) sent us an enjoyable correspondence on the Admin mailbox, in response to the most recent Newsletter :

Quote from: Ed (Ab Ovo)
Back in the day, seeing several of the same people on QE2 trips again, in conversations I heard cruisecritic.com often mentioned.   A computer virgin then, I lurked cruisecritic a year and later joined, my first venture into the Internet world.    Screen names were the thing then.  Ab Ovo, "from the egg to the apples,"  penned by the Roman poet Horace, had to do with ancient Roman banquets began with eggs, finished with fruit, apples.  But for me, no intellectual pretension intended, I thought "from the egg" appropriate, for my initials are .E.G.G.    So the few times I've used it since, I'm Ab Ovo.  I'd like to stay so on QE2 Story and Forum, but will look into adding my real name, or just add Edward to Ab in the signature, not wanting Ab to die off.  I knew back in the day all knew Ed was Ab.  I even had little tins of M&M's imprinted.   

Many in that Cunard bunch have died out. As did interest in cc.   I realized this when finding my original forum introductory post.  It is how we all felt back in the day,   I did tell someone today I could post it again, after seven years I'd be new to many.   It is highly flattering you may draw attention to it in the Forum. If you do, do source my name, Edward Galligan.  I don't mind.  As well, I did look and update the post some.  Here it is.  Do with it as you wish.

Through 2010 on it has been a joy to see the Forum grow.  Rob and you all do such nice work.  I'm glad to see it again. 

Sincerely,

Edward Galligan
Ab Ovo

Updated introductory …

One late New York City night the telephone rang.

Cunard's QE2 had been going up and down the Hudson River, not five blocks away, for 13 years. Sometimes I saw her, most times I did not. She was just another big ship in the river and I had no special interest in her.  I never thought to book.  I wanted five days IN a country instead of GETTING to it!

I answered the phone.

An ex-neighbor from the back apartment, known to be a ship-nut,  was out in a bar, on a toot, had a pamphlet.  Uh-oh, another one of Bill's, R.I.P., five-minute ideas!  "Pilots get really special rates on QE2, can go many places at cost."

"Book it" I said.

"What?"

"Book it, I'll go!" He hurrumphed and hurromphed, kerbiddled and kerbobbled and muttered some vague "ok, yeah."

Three months later the phone rang again. Another bar, another toot, same pilot: "I am excited, August 29th mother and I will sail on QE2."

"Mother!!?? What happened to me!!??"

"Aw, kiddo, I can get low supplier-rates through Inter-Line any time, there'll be lots of trips I can go on. You can too."

The next day I was still thinking. I made a few calls. I then called my best friend.

"Do you know what that Bill has done now?"

Now, in friendships, quite often one knows a great deal about things, yet another can know quite more and still not speak of it. I told the late night phone calls/QE2 story, and said my ad agency also handled Cunard Hotels and through them I could get a Supplier's Rate, too.  So I had phoned and did not care about the space and booked the cheapest rate I could get. A NY/NY cruise to Canada.  "Wanna" go?" My friend was in the midst of a divorce and glad to get out of town.

The day of departure, Bill and mother in town for the sailing, I had him meet me down in the Village for breakfast at five in the morning so we could go down to the 10th Street pier in the river. "The first time ever you sail on QE2 you really should get up early and see her arrive and sail upriver." He did, we saw. Through the morning midst she came, just after 6 a.m.  Small, she grew to large then larger to huge, then was broadside, flashbulbs popping. There was a quiet hush .... yes, I could hear the hush. It was magical! Then we took a cab up to 50th Street and saw her dock, milled about the pier and watched the turn-around begin. In those days, 1982, she did it under six hours. Then he headed off for mother and lunch, I said my goodbyes, Bon Voyage!

I went home, got my bags, went back to the pier to meet my cabin-mate. An arch of red, blue & white balloons begun the journey; I was all smiles, ear to ear! We were on by one o'clock.

The cabin was a double, L-Grade, down in the depths of Five Deck and triangular!  Bunks!  Luggage arrived and set in the cabin, when standing up in the available floor space, we found all very tight, very close.  Oops, we were not that kind of friends.   Even in those days, the Purser's Desk had a small sign to the effect of Sorry, we are fully-booked, unable to accommodate cabin changes.  When they found out it was two in the cabin rather than one, they very nicely and easily put us Inside/Starboard on Four Deck, beds on the floor.

In the Upper Deck restaurant, then called Tables of the World, we checked our table and here along comes Bill and mother. I hid behind a potted palm.

Later, just before departure, music playing and the lights of New York City coming on, I looked out from Quarter Deck down to One  Deck, where were Bill and mother.  I was ready with my new Nikon.  Now!  "Oh sir, would you look up here, we'd like a photo."

You talk about surprised! The photo is one of my cherished items.  Later in the bar I pulled mother aside and explained her son had not conned her into the trip so she'd pay and he could go run off and play with his buddies.

This was a cruise to Canada, the ship painted in that light odd green/gray, just after the Falklands, August, 1982.  Her first westbound after the war.

In the dining room for the first meal. Richard and Thomas attended.  Myself and friend Tom were seated with two older, large, librarian ladies. It was great fun. I hadn't been seated half an hour when I looked around a bit more, and then it hit me, this wonderful, strong feeling of contentment:  "I Have Come Home To My People!"

In years to come I would be on QE2 many more times, in many dining rooms and cabins.  She became the destination.  I would always be glad to be back on, would always have the same feeling "I am home" … but, oh, what a sweet trip was that first!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2024, 08:40 AM »
My three favorite cabins:  3156, compact inside single; 1049, original First Class double with one of 11 large oval windows; and for the life of me cannot find it, but on last NY departure to retirement in Dubai, I had Bea Muller's original inside double.  Could see why she liked it.

It is great, Ed, to welcome you back to the QE2 Story after a while! I look forward to your sharing many more memories and stories. This one, starting the topic above, is a great story, and you are probably smiling each time you remember how you schemed to surprise your friend and his Mum!