Author Topic: Port Pollution: Cruise Ship Ban  (Read 626 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Port Pollution: Cruise Ship Ban
« on: Jul 21, 2023, 09:42 AM »
Amsterdam are planning to ban cruise ships in an effort to improve air quality. 
BBC News report

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Tony

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
  • Photog, 1976 and 1987
Re: Port Pollution: Cruise Ship Ban
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2023, 01:46 AM »
I think many ports are waking up to the fact that 4000 people landing at the same time is just overwhelming. Its not just the pollution from the ship itself anymore, they have got cleaner over the years. Just imagine the trash it generates ashore, the wear and tear on a small town is just too much. I think the push back from Venice, Amsterdam and more will only increase.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2023, 10:23 AM »
I think many ports are waking up to the fact that 4000 people landing at the same time is just overwhelming. Its not just the pollution from the ship itself anymore, they have got cleaner over the years. Just imagine the trash it generates ashore, the wear and tear on a small town is just too much. I think the push back from Venice, Amsterdam and more will only increase.

As you say there is much to be considered in relation to the economic benefits to ports versus the inconvenience to people living there and the hidden costs.  With more and bigger cruise ships the concerns will increase in the future. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Tony

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
  • Photog, 1976 and 1987
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2023, 04:14 AM »
I remember arriving in St Thomas one day on the Norway. That and 6 other ships meant downtown was just a mess of trash, people and long lines for anything. The taxi to megans bay took ages.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Christ follower, liner lover, and Okie.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2024, 09:40 PM »

My love of older ships has always made me feel a little guilt for the pollution aspect. It seems unavoidable with most forms of transportation.
The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

SS United States forever.

Poll for January 2024 : QE2 in Hamburg or Another European Port

Started by June IngramBoard Archived Topics (2025 Calendar)

Replies: 18
Views: 1429
Last post Mar 01, 2024, 09:02 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Best Port Visit

Started by Andy FBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 36
Views: 12517
Last post Jul 30, 2023, 01:58 PM
by Chris Thompson
Long Beach port webcam

Started by Thomas HypherBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 3
Views: 4879
Last post Aug 30, 2011, 08:50 PM
by cunardqueen
'Endeavour' new Cunard inspired sculpture in Port Glasgow

Started by TwynkleBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 8
Views: 4294
Last post Apr 02, 2012, 11:33 PM
by Rod
Port Rashid area news topic.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 11
Views: 3803
Last post Jun 02, 2016, 10:07 AM
by Lynda Bradford