Author Topic: RIP Les Royle (Hotel Officer)  (Read 576 times)

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
RIP Les Royle (Hotel Officer)
« on: Sep 30, 2022, 05:33 AM »
I am sorry to break the sad news that our shipmate, Les, crost the bar on 29 SEP 2022.
The funeral will be at Mortlake Crematorium, London TW9 4EN, at 1600 on 11 October.

I worked alongside Les for many years. He was a good chum.

I will raise an MGL to your memory tonight mate. Wishing you a fair wind and a following sea.

The photo below was taken in 2013 when we last caught up in London. I've also attached a couple of photos from his QE2 days.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2022, 08:30 AM by Boris »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: RIP Les Royle (Hotel Officer)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2022, 07:42 AM »
Thank you, Boris, for this sad news and for the memories you share. If anyone here has more photos and stories, they would be a fitting memory to your crew mate Les Royle.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2022, 09:28 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend Les  RIP.  I have added his name to the In Memoriam page on the forum. 

Thanks for posting the photos in remembrance of your friend. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2022, 11:29 PM »
That bar is getting too damn busy.
Obviously, it makes you think when people a lot older than you pass on. They are remembered. But because they were in a different department to you, you talked about him/her and moved on, maybe having a few private thoughts.
Then someone your age, but, different department, different working hours. You might have a drink or two with him but not very often.
Then someone your age, your department. What happened? Had a drink with him last night. He seemed great! Who is looking after the flowers to his family? Lets make it  big bunch, I liked him!
Then you go off to your cabin, with maybe one more drink than usual. Maybe one less drink than usual. but, it wont be the same! Never is, never!
Then you start thinking, he was a bit older than me.NO, I'm sure he was. Remember he came  here after doing some tine on the small ships. Yeah that it!How much did he smoke? Sure he smoked more than me. He would come in here after breakfast and get a pack. Wait he would also get a pack after work.Yeah, he smoked too much!! in your mind you are calculating YOUR longevity points, and, how you have squandered them. You look at your longevity balance book and it sends a message slowly going through your mind.
You think a bit, like pouring a thin stream of water on to a sheet of ice, going to go through some time, when?
I think that might get the message across, !! It's a message to all of us. Some people might have more longevity points than we do, some less. Sometimes you don't get to decide how they are going to be spent and when?
Hope I have made you think about longevity points ladies and gentlemen!
Have a good night!

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2022, 11:21 PM »
The Funeral Service for Les, at 16:00 BST on Tuesday 11th October, is available as a live webcast.
Please send me a Personal Message on this Forum if you would like further details of how to access the webcast.

QE2 Hotel Iftar 2019

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 5
Views: 819
Last post May 13, 2019, 09:53 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Photos of QE2 Hotel Dubai - Exteriors

Replies: 67
Views: 7774
Last post Mar 01, 2020, 06:20 PM
by June Ingram
Photos taken outside, on board QE2 Hotel Dubai

Replies: 13
Views: 848
Last post Apr 03, 2021, 11:36 PM
by Rod
Poll : Should The QE2 Story take a firm "Save the QE2 as a hotel" stance?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 25
Views: 7164
Last post Feb 20, 2016, 04:23 PM
by PaulInuk
Bob Venning (Security Officer)

Started by Stephen VenningBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 19
Views: 6866
Last post Dec 28, 2018, 08:55 PM
by Lynda Bradford