Author Topic: My QE2 website (http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/qe2/)  (Read 6016 times)

richc1977

My QE2 website (http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/qe2/)
« on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I thought some of you might be interested to view my QE2 website

http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/qe2/

I've previously posted a link to my Queen Mary site (http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/queenmary/) and I had some nice feedback.

My QE2 site has taken a bit longer than I hoped, I've been working on it on and off for a year!  I finally finished it a few weeks ago.  There are a few different elements to it, including a Virtual Tour.  There are some instructions that explain all about it.

I've tested in Windows, Linux and on Mac so hopefully you should have no problems.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2009, 12:46 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: My QE2 website
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:03 PM »
I would like to be first to post a rave review of this site.

Absolutely, completely superb.  And genuinely made me tearful.  It brings QE2 alive again - especially the wonderful virtual tour.  It made me want to book another QE2 cruise...  The quality of the photography is very high too.

a great way to remember and treasure our ship.

Thank you Richard for creating it, and sharing it with us.  All the best with it.

- Rob.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009, 08:43 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Absolutly beautiful, the beauty of the site echos that of the ship.

Well done and thank you for making the site and sharing it with us!

Cheers  8)
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Absolutely wonderful and fantastic - particularly the virtual tour - have tears in my eyes - so many happy memories.

Thank you so very much Richard for sharing this.
Gill

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:29 PM »

Really wonderfull site.

Louis

Offline Jem

« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2009, 09:42 PM »
What a fantastic site! I've got as far as the boat deck on the virtual tour and although I never made it aboard, I wish I had more than ever now! What a 'cosy' feel the photo's evoke. Just brilliant ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:00 PM »

Your site is simply superb!
It will be a treat to explore a little bit further every day...
Thank you. :)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

richc1977

« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2009, 11:20 PM »
Thank you for the positive feedback on my site.  It means a lot when it comes from people with a special interest in the QE2.

There are 104 different panoramic photographs in the Virtual Tour so I hope I captured most of the public areas of the ship.  I have another 40 I haven't put in the tour yet, so I'll try and get round to that some time.

I think my favourite are of the two panoramas of Midship Lobby on Two Deck as it was my favourite area on the ship.  i'm most pleased with the second of those as the panorama shows all four panels on the walls in chronological order.

Offline citrail

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Yep, the first picture you see just says "come on in" excellent.

One question though, there are 7 (I think) tall rectangular windows, starboard side on two deck, can anyone tell me when these were cut in and what are they for. To me they look like they don't belong. ???

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2009, 09:19 PM »
The windows were cut when the Aquitania and Carinthia Suites were created during the 1999 refit.

richc1977

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2009, 06:09 PM »
If you go on Deck Two of the Virtual Tour on the site you can see the Carinthia Suite.  I was lucky enough to meet some people who let me come and take some pictures of the Suite.  On the first and second panoramas you can see the two of the large vertical windows in the "living area", the other two were in the bedroom but you can't really see that on the panoramas.

Scott

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2009, 02:45 AM »
I love the lay out, the look - so clean!, just fantastic and much there to explore. Great work!

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2009, 05:47 AM »
Wow!

What an absolutely magnificent website.

It is superb, absolutely superb.

Your photography is also brilliant. Thank you very much for sharing!

(It makes me wonder if my website is long overdue for an overhaul!)

Chris.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Your photos - especially of the public rooms are simply stunning. I have just lost myself for over an hour looing through your virtual tour and reliving so many great memories of time on board. How I miss the Princess Grill Bar. Thank you so much for putting together this site. Michael

Online pete cain

anybody seen this site?
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Once again sorry if this has been posted before (don't think it has ) but a really interesting site I found following a post by Madam Concorde   c/o Airliners.net  really worth a look , thanks to her for that link  pete cain....p s . leave plenty of time to appreciate the virtual tour..
http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/qe2
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2009, 02:17 PM by Rob Lightbody »

k.sailaway

« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2009, 05:39 PM »
Quite superb - thank you, Richard! I'm now going to sit back and enjoy every one of your beautiful pictures.

k.

Offline MiamiCunarder

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2009, 05:23 AM »
 Fantastic site, Rich! Love it.

richc1977

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Thanks, i'm really happy how positively my site has been received by everyone.  I'm glad people enjoy the Virtual Tour, when I get round to adding some more panoramas I'll let you all know.

Offline luzparis

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2009, 10:18 PM »
i love the design the pictures of your web site i'am wouahh!!

Offline Andy F

Re: My QE2 website (http://maritime.elettra.co.uk/qe2/)
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2009, 01:52 AM »
Congratulations on a superb site Richard
Start every day with a smile and get it over with