Author Topic: QE2 article in The Mirror  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
QE2 article in The Mirror
« on: Sep 12, 2017, 02:25 PM »
The Mirror today with article about QE2 with a title that makes no sense.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/qe2-scrapped-cruise-liner-marks-11039817#comments-section

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: QE2 article in The Mirror
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2017, 03:38 PM »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/qe2-scrapped-cruise-liner-marks-11039817#comments-section

I think this is a title to grab attention.  When QE2's owners in Dubai start giving out information hopefully we will get better headlines for QE2.  Plans and timescales would be good news.

The journalist had been in contact for QE2 photos and was given the link to the Press Release information for the conference, which she was able to use for much of the article.  However, I have pointed out to her that there are some errors in her article, including the date for the maiden voyage in the first paragraph.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2017, 03:48 PM »
The Forum is far-outdoing Cunard when it comes to getting the anniversary coverage!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2017, 03:50 PM »
The Forum is far-outdoing Cunard when it comes to getting the anniversary coverage!

Let's hope we get lots more articles on QE2 and get her in the news.

The Mirror journalist has responded to say she will change the inaccuracies I identified. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2017, 04:08 PM »

Although it's not accurate to say she's abandoned, and i certainly didn't say it to the reporter, there's no question that nearly 9 years after arriving there, she's still not open in any form, and there's no known opening date. 

I think, overall, it's a good article. I especially love Bob's old photos, go Bob!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2017, 05:19 PM »

But really... is it even right for Cunard to "boast" about QE2 when they no longer own her?

I feel a bit cynical about the QE themed cruise as well -- Cunard cashing in on the reputation of a ship they sold years ago (I am not arguing the rights and wrongs of the sale here, just wondering whether QE2 is entitled to "celebrate" her anniversary).

But maybe any publicity is good publicity and keeps QE2 in the public eye...

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2017, 08:46 PM »
Thats probably one good thing about the news. It shows that QE2 hasn't been forgotten.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2017, 08:59 PM »
But really... is it even right for Cunard to "boast" about QE2 when they no longer own her? 

Yes and No the trouble is with Cunard they treat QE2 like your favourite dotty Aunt, when it suits to mention her  they wheel her out, hope she doesnt do anything to embarress you and then you wheel her in mighty quickly, but you know deep down she will always steal the show.  Im sure the big wigs at Carnival towers love the fact a 50 year old ship still outflanks their youngest fleet at sea.

As for the Anniversary themed cruise, throw in a couple of QE2 lectures, some QE2 themed menus and some other QE2 bits and bobs, coincide it with a (any) cruise and the public will buy anything. Remind us what links do the ports have to do with QE2 anniversarys.

Perhaps we should be thankful Cunard havent done another rendering of The  Three Queens meeting to celebrate QE2 or send them over the pond to meet in some shape or form or other. Mindyou isnt another Three Queens debunkle due to be wheeled out  to celebrate some sort of celebration or other     

As for the present day state of QE2 and her future plans, Dubai as we know are a bunch of laying cheats who have promised the earth before and failed to deliver, failed to deliver on all that has been mentioned, even now they say nothing, with the 50th Anniversary looming, you would have thought NOW would be in ideal chance to show what they are doing, allow some light onto their project, instead we are dependant on an ex crew member to learn of what is maybe happening under the mighty hull.

But you must admit its a great newspaper story, Trouble is its in The Daily Mirror and who on earth reads that :o :o

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:02 PM »

As for the present day state of QE2 and her future plans, Dubai as we know are a bunch of laying cheats who have promised the earth before and failed to deliver, failed to deliver on all that has been mentioned, even now they say nothing, with the 50th Anniversary looming, you would have thought NOW would be in ideal chance to show what they are doing, allow some light onto their project, instead we are dependant on an ex crew member to learn of what is maybe happening under the mighty hull.

Sorry if I cant deliver more

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:51 PM »
  Sorry if I cant deliver more 
If we didnt have you there would be nothing !!!
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:35 PM »
If we didnt have you there would be nothing !!!

Err, maybe not quite nothing...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:44 PM »
Tabloids use eye opening articles to get your attention. Use snopes.com (For those who don't know). Snopes usually finds out whether a article is fake or real.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2017, 10:23 AM »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2017, 06:27 PM »
I think, overall, it's a good article. I especially love Bob's old photos, go Bob!!

When the reporter asked me to send some memories and photos I expected a brief mention at most so I sent in a selection of things to choose from; looks like I got a whole lot more.  I think the article is very good from the standpoint that it shows that QE2 has a distinct history from national service to celebrity recognition as well as a piece that reaches down to a very personal level.  She was many things to many people and deserves better.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2017, 06:29 PM by Bob C. »

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2017, 10:22 PM »
just found this article on cruise industry news

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17749-second-cruise-terminal-planned-for-dubai.html
Interesting find, Roy. We'll have to see if this ever gets built.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Great LIFE article on QE's lay-up in Florida circa 1970

Started by RyanZBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 12
Views: 5341
Last post Jan 30, 2014, 03:12 PM
by June Ingram
Daily telegraph article

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 1
Views: 1363
Last post Feb 06, 2015, 05:08 PM
by June Ingram
QE2 Starboard High Pressure Turbine Pattern- article by Scottish Maritime Museum

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 0
Views: 634
Last post Aug 10, 2018, 04:53 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Conde Nast Traveller Article on QE2

Started by Trevor HarrisBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 7
Views: 654
Last post Aug 29, 2021, 03:41 PM
by Rod
BBC Article - Keeping Britain’s paddle steamers afloat