Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 by Dr Stephen M Payne RDI ("Haynes Manual")  (Read 2870 times)

Offline pete cain

Just found out  c/o Amazon, pre order for Haynes QE2 Owners Manual isn't available, they won't even put it on back order, good luck to any body who is lucky enough to be opening it on Christmas morning  :'(
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2016, 09:12 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline pete cain

Re: CANCEL CHRISTMAS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Had a reply overnight from the bookshop on Amazon, they have a waitlist of 72 for this book!!!, I wonder how many they've already sold & how many have been printed in total?.
Goes to show that the 'old girl' still has a hold on folk, if only they would find their way here..

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:08 AM »
That is not good news for people who ordered the book expecting to get it for Christmas. But even if it is not available for Christmas I am sure it is worth waiting for.  Could be the publishers who are at fault, as you would think that Amazon would have ordered enough to meet pre-orders.

It was on my Santa list so here's hoping it is in my Christmas stocking.   ;D
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2016, 12:06 PM »
Just had a message saying mine will be delivered tomorrow...

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2016, 07:12 PM »
Don't always Believe Amazon

Hayes have the book on there site with free delivery At £17-24
I have not not checked the Amazon Price

https://haynes.com/en-gb/rms-queen-elizabeth-2-manual

Offline pete cain

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2016, 07:42 PM »
Thanks Roy , on it now! pete

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:11 AM »
Don't always Believe Amazon

Hayes have the book on there site with free delivery At £17-24
I have not not checked the Amazon Price

https://haynes.com/en-gb/rms-queen-elizabeth-2-manual

Thanks!  I've asked for mine from Santa!

The title of the book annoys me so much though. It's wrong. Stephen knows it's wrong too. But they've done it that way so it's a companion to his Queen Mary 2 book.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: CANCEL CHRISTMAS (Stephen Payne's new QE2 book and Amazon)
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2016, 04:40 PM »
I have asked Santa for a copy; hope he can get it !   ;D
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2016, 07:34 AM »
Book arrived yesterday...

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:59 AM »
Book arrived yesterday...

Awesome! I hope it sells well.  Should we send a copy to Dubai?

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2016, 10:01 AM »

It was on my Santa list so here's hoping it is in my Christmas stocking.   ;D

A parcel arrived from Amazon yesterday that looks like a book.  Santa must have arranged for it to be delivered to my address.  It was probably too late to deliver to the North Pole.   ;D :-* 

Can't wait until Christmas Day.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline skilly56

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2016, 10:36 AM »
I'm going to have to stop reading these expectant posts - I don't get off the ship till mid-January next year, and the Xmas mail will probably delay delivery to NZ by another month as well :(

Skilly

Offline pete cain

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Oh Skilly , what to say, hope you get everything on your Christmas list, let us know when you reach safe anchorage, Pete..

Offline Twynkle

RMS Queen ELIZABETH 2, (1967 - 2008)  Owners Workshop Manual
by Stephen Payne
Published 2016 by Haynes Publishing, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset

Dr Payne has explored in great detail very many aspects of the ship.
From his acknowledgements and through to a comprehensive index, he shows both a depth and breadth of knowledge - much of which can also be found here on The QE2 Story Forum!
From his own collection, together with those of Michael Gallagher,  Tony and Blair Skilton, and Rob Lightbody (and his website) these are amongst many who have contributed a considerable amount of historical information as well as superb photographs.
The only query that remains, is the reason why Dr Payne was able to grant her RMS status!   

This is a masterful text, and love of the ship shines all the way through the well-written and informative manual.
A 'Classic', like the ship herself - hopefully this book will be 'in print' for a very long time.

« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2016, 12:46 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Lynda Bradford

Clever Santa gave me a copy of the Stephen Payne book, which I am looking forward to reading.   :)
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
I am very much looking forward to obtaining my copy !

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I got my copy from Santa and opened it yesterday.  Its fantastic, and I've already seen lots of pics and info I've not seen before.

I know I sound like a broken record... but... he has added a note about the "RMS thing" in his intro, but I feel he has missed the point.   He misses the point that factually, she was never an RMS.  When referred to as such, it was incorrect.

I have added this wonderful book to our "QE2 Shop" - a small cut from each sale ordered there comes to forum funds, but it doesn't cost you any extra.

https://www.theqe2story.com/QE2Shop.php

Offline pete cain

Got mine in the end, sneaky Santa gave it my wife without me knowing it had been found elsewhere, am limiting myself to 1/2doz pages a day,  sad or what :-\

Offline Pete Hamill

Having read Rob's comment about the book being added to the forum shop it finally gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get it ordered.

I ordered it at 11:45 on Thursday 29th December with Free delivery option between 4th and 6th January (I never pay for expedited delivery from Amazon - probably a Scottish thing) and the doorbell rang on Friday 30th December just after lunch time and it was here!

I find that Amazon's free delivery options usually arrive well before they say, but of course, that is OK if you just want something and don't mind when it arrives, but I've always been pleasantly surprised.

I guess its the "must have it for Christmas" that puts so much pressure on every part of the chain.

Having had it delivered so quickly, with work rotas, I haven't actually been able to read it yet, so that is also why I wasn't in a great hurry. Hopefully I'll get a chance shortly before heading out to work again later today.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Haynes have published an interview with the author here

https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/how-queen-elizabeth-2-was-designed-and-tested-rigours-sea

10 points if you can spot the obvious error on that page...

Offline Lynda Bradford

https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/how-queen-elizabeth-2-was-designed-and-tested-rigours-sea

Rather a glaring error
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2017, 07:46 PM by Lynda Bradford »
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

Oh! That Is a No NO!
Subtract  10 points from the proof-reader, too

Speaking of "points" Rob, in CHAT - Upgrading "then and now"
Please! May we have extra Seating on TQS that is outside the Lido, on the Quarter Deck?
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2017, 08:10 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Oh dear...  :-X

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Can't believe they did that !

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...

I took me, oh.... 2 seconds(!)  :o
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline skilly56

Haven't got home or received our copies yet, but I can see the insertion of an appropriate photo with a little glue stick adhesive will soon solve the problem! But, we shouldn't have to do that should we.

Skilly

Offline Tony

Just ordered mine. $17.00 plus $3.00 shipping and here in a few days

Offline Pete Hamill

Must be missing something  :o

Offline skilly56

Pete,

The thing at the top of the page is 20,000 tonnes bigger than it should be!!!!

Skilly

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Having just seen a post on 'All Things Maritime' on F.B. where someone claims that QE2 is now called Queen Elizabeth and they have just been on a cruise on her I can believe anything!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Interestingly, when I do a Google search of just QE2, the first four entries are for Cunard's Queen Elizabeth cruises !!   ::)

Offline Roy Warrender

Hi and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all
Just done a search for QE2 on Duck Duck happy to say the first hit was QE2 Story, bit worried about the second headlined QE2 to SAIL  AGAIN
after I checked the date it was a report dated 2013

Offline Twynkle

Hi Rob,
About the error, mentioned above - Was the interview with Stephen Payne only published online?
Curiously - the error photograph with an interview doesn't seem to be in my copy of the book...?
Rosie

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Hi Rob,
About the error, mentioned above - Was the interview with Stephen Payne only published online?
Curiously - the error photograph with an interview doesn't seem to be in my copy of the book...?
Rosie

Yes, it's only online. It's to promote the book.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
There is something wrapped up for me for my imminent birthday which is the shape, size and weight of a typical non-car Haynes Manual....   :)

I will report back later this week as to whether it is or is not, but I am 99.999999999999999999999etc% certain it is.  :D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Sounds exciting !   :D

Offline MiamiCunarder

By chance, I ran into Steve Payne, on QM2, on the December 8th eastbound out of NY. It was bitterly cold and I was one of just a few on the observation platform, braving the elements, for QM2's departure. I then noticed a group of women, giggling with excitement as they posed for pictures with a gentleman. I overheard them say "thank you Mr Payne" and I immediately shot my attention over to the assembled group and blurted out "Mr. Stephen Payne?" He smiled and acknowledged. I introduced myself and in the course of our brief chat, he asked me if I knew of his new book on QE2. I hadn't yet heard and appreciated him letting me know it would be out soon.

I then let the man be (he was with his mother), waiting for the ship's whistles to sound as she eased herself away from Red Hook. Finally they sounded, and to my surprise and total geeky delight, there was the ship's chief naval architect, looking at me, with a huge smile. I replied with a giant grin and two thumbs up. :D

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
By chance, I ran into Steve Payne, on QM2, on the December 8th eastbound out of NY. It was bitterly cold and I was one of just a few on the observation platform, braving the elements, for QM2's departure. I then noticed a group of women, giggling with excitement as they posed for pictures with a gentleman. I overheard them say "thank you Mr Payne" and I immediately shot my attention over to the assembled group and blurted out "Mr. Stephen Payne?" He smiled and acknowledged. I introduced myself and in the course of our brief chat, he asked me if I knew of his new book on QE2. I hadn't yet heard and appreciated him letting me know it would be out soon.

I then let the man be (he was with his mother), waiting for the ship's whistles to sound as she eased herself away from Red Hook. Finally they sounded, and to my surprise and total geeky delight, there was the ship's chief naval architect, looking at me, with a huge smile. I replied with a giant grin and two thumbs up. :D

What a fantastic moment for you!

We've a lot to thank Stephen for, not least for coming to our conference in September!!

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
There is something wrapped up for me for my imminent birthday which is the shape, size and weight of a typical non-car Haynes Manual....   :)

I will report back later this week as to whether it is or is not, but I am 99.999999999999999999999etc% certain it is.  :D

Well... today was unwrapping day and YES!!!  It is indeed what I thought it would be.  ;D

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Happy Birthday ! and Happy Reading !   :)