Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: New Years Eve on Queen Mary 2011-2012  (Read 7194 times)

Offline cunardqueen

New Years Eve on Queen Mary 2011-2012
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:14 AM »

The mini suite had been booked, for what its worth you couldn't book online for this night so l had to call Queen Mary to book it, probably the easiest way anyway, while the Queen Mary suite, which l had occupied on the previous trip, earlier that year was simply stunning l knew it would be out of my reach, but no harm in asking, with a rate of over $800 it was crazy to even think of it, so l settled on what they called a full mini suite with King and pull out sofa. My cousin who l was staying with in Whittier California, l was going to invite along as well to celebrate, the mini suites as it happened l really wanted one with two bedrooms (one each of us) and the lady said she would mark on the booking my request and also a view over Long Beach, the price l considered reasonable $579, well it was New Year and everywhere hikes their rates up, and it needed to be prepaid.the confirmation came through right away. And so it came to be......

Today was going to be  a very special day, and as soon as l awoke with a slight fuzzy head, the sleep was wonderful and today was going to be the day l rang in 2012 from a very special location, No working for me, no pulling pints behind the bar, no going round the guests with champagne before midnight, in fact for once l was to be on the guest side of things. For tonight l was several thousands of miles away on glorious Long Beach on the Hotel Queen Mary about to welcome in 2012 in style, and really l couldn't quite believe it.

Up with the larks to get showered and ready for breakfast in the Promenade cafe. a lovely venue, and this time as well as having the menu for breakfast there was also the buffet option at a very reasonable $12.95 serve yourself, choices choices, but it was going to be the buffet for me. The lovely orange juice (how come it always tastes better on holidays) umpteen refills of coffee along with pastries,rolls and the usual cooked stuff scrambled eggs, lovely bacon, sausages,maple syrup all in a lovely section. and as usual a great bargain. Nice to see some of the familiar staff from the previous visit, my onion ring man, from yesterday, as l called him was on duty, always nice to see him, bearing in mind l probably wouldn't  see him again this visit it seemed to right thing to do to give him a little note and wish him all the best for New Year.

The promenade cafe always reminded me somewhat of the dear old lido on QE2 with the light green napkins, that's as close as it got, and l guess in reality nothing like the lido. The Starboard bakery,situated next to the Cafe seemed to be doing a brisk trade in takeaways, perhaps if they had more seating or tables more might sit and eat rather than wonder round with those cardboard cups, and the lids l find never seem to fit on properly.

Back to the cabin to get all packed up and as l was changing cabins l would vacate it earlier than later, housekeeping would probably be rushed of their feet anyway, left the cases with the bell boy and went to check at reception if my new room was ready, as suspected it wasn't but had some banter with the lady.

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline cunardqueen

Re: New Years Eve on Queen Mary 2011-2012
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:17 AM »
Away then to take some air and see more of the Queen Mary. ended up down at the engine room entering from the rear entrance near the prop box, fascinating  to see her machinery and the rudder controls and generally just exploring the area. Somehow l found an area called the Exhibit Area, a vast expanse of  three decks all linked by stairs and escalators, heaps of Xmas decorations scattered over the place and empty boxes, it really was a shame that on tonight of all nights a use couldn't be found for this area, perhaps its unsuitable for a dining area but given the location and size install some mobile bars and host a big disco or something. Given the right pricing you could have avoided paying the $99 fee they were asking for the ticket for seven parties and had a reasonable ticket price and maybe attracted a heap more folks, bums on seats do bring in revenue & probably given the location it would have kept it separate from the rest of the events. . Heck here was me thinking about work again.

The place was deserted other than some action  further away, l decided to explore further and opened a door and found myself in a deep space of empty ness, it was pretty dark and l discovered a small notice saying No 3 Boiler room....Gosh deep in the heart of  Mary !To be honest it looked as though they had started work on something and then stopped, there was a platform installed and really it was so dark you couldn't see anything, one half decided stop and go back and the other half decided carry on and go forward, not that you could go a great distance, but you could explore a bit more, which l did, along a rickety walkway. common sense told me it was daylight and no ghosts, but the mind does play wonderful games and l really felt enough was enough, l didn't really fancy the idea of falling and breaking my neck and not being discovered so l retreated and went back to the Exhibit area, took a few more pics and then one of the workers setting up next door, very kindly pointed if l was lost here was an exit, which l thanked him for and took. This took me out at the Early Cruise check in which appeared to be set for a function, but nothing was mentioned on the list of events for that night, anyway out l came right at the Anchor on display next to the Queen Mary storyboard. down the gangway and bright daylight again.                     

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:31 AM »

A glorious start to the day at the end of 2011

The prop box

The Exhibit Hall

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:49 AM »

The Queen Mary Exhibit Hall

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:02 AM »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:26 AM »
No 3 Boiler room

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2012, 03:07 AM by Cunardqueen »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:42 AM »
Back on shore side l was meeting my cousin at about 2pm which was still several hours away so it seemed as good a chance to take a peek and see how the venues were coming along for tonights various parties onboard. Signs had already been in place.The dueling pianos already had their signs up outside the Queens Saloon.. (as it happens they were playing in Vegas later that week !!)

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:45 AM »
The 70s &  80s disco in the Royal Saloon seemed well under way as well. The entertainment in the Grand Salon The Mini Driver band 9pm - Midnight was well planned in the sense that the Grand Dinner Buffet was taking place from 6-9pm then it was assumed most if not everyone would head out on decks for one of two fireworks display at 9pm and again at midnight, so it would be an easy set up and really the tables could be left in place for the brunch buffet the next day. The VIP party on the the bow area was a separate ticket charge and included a complimentary bar.
The other venus had DJ Nimrod  (Dance )on the Sports deck 10pm-2am, DJ Groovy Top 40 on the verandah deck 10pm-2am DJ Jazz observation bar 6pm - 2am, Pianist in the starboard lounge 6pm - 2am 
Not to forget the various eating places Hollywood deli was open 10am- 2am, Starboard Bakery 6.30am - 2am The Midnight buffet breakfast was being served from Midnight in the Promenade Cafe. these were open for all the guests, The other options were 2 sittings in Sir Winstons and  the Chelsea Chowder 
So all in all there was something for everyone.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:50 AM »
It seemed a good chance to checkup on my new room, the reception lady was very helpful, as it was noon but they hadn't checked out yet, even though check in wasn't officially till 4pm accepting this and as it was quiet we spoke for a while, told her l was in the industry so knew what it was like, with that she was even more obliging, l was about to leave and gave her a "tip" call it what you like, We both thought of it as an incentive and laughed as means of a thanks for what she had done. right away she was on the phone to one of the housekeeping staff to chase things up as she put it. she already had the mobile number and would call as soon as it was ready.
Now seemed a good a time as any to go shopping, and Stacks was the place, honestly they do have a wide range of top quality merchandise for sale at a very realistic price, and lm not just saying that because Everette is a throughly nice guy, But its true !!!! Mercifully he wasn't there so l probably  bought more than l would have, what with polo shirts, Mugs, badges, books fridge magnets, pens and of course the famous Funnel socks !!! Now if only he could be persuaded to do mail order...... ;) ;)

Conscious of what l had for breakfast lunch wasn't going to be much but l found myself in the Promenade cafe where the food really is delicious and a look upstairs to the New York Deli, perhaps not the best venue onboard, but a little ice cream wouldn't go amiss, with that the mobile phone rang, My Mini suite was ready and it was only 1pm. New Year was getting closer...

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2012, 02:58 AM »
Down to the reception desk and all was ready, as it had been prepaid all l needed to collect was the lovely free gift from the Queen Mary, along with the information pack for tonights events and of course the room cards, the luggage was already on its way and l wasn't far behind. The bell boy was great filled up the ice bucket and explained some of the fixings. I checked with the room attendant about the pull out sofa and she said oh that will be done when your at dinner, but if not call reception and they will do it. picked up some extra stuff from her.... and went to unpack.

The mini suite was again a delightful set up. B424 two large rooms mine had the King bed, bathroom and living area and the other room contained the pull down sofa and other bathroom. Again opening all the doors and drawers each cabin has its own character and charm, it was going to be a great way to spend New Year. My cousin called to say he had been picked up and was already on his way, he would call when they got to the gates so l could meet him.      

The Bell boy...

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2012, 07:09 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Myles,

Absolutely lovely stuff!  Thank you and keep it coming!!

I've said this before and I'll say it again - the connections between QE2 and QM are so profound.  Having known QE2 so well, you must see the things that are the same, and the things that they improved (or tried to).  To me the similarities betwen QM and QE2 are far greater than they are between QE2 and QM2.  Things like the portholes, passenger decks, promenades etc., even the general profile of the ship. 
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:09 PM »
The prop box

Yuck!  Whats going on there?  Is that scum on top of the water in the box?  I'm amazed that box has lasted so long...  what is done to stop the water being disgusting - is it changed and filtered like a swimming pool?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Pat Curry

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:32 PM »
 Wonderful photos Myles.

Yes Rob I agree the synergie between QM and QE2 is astounding.

And, agreed, there is truly very little between QE2 and QM2 and frankly nilch between QE2 and the QV/QE barges.

I MUST visit QM b****r the cost.

I just LOVE the carpets in your pics Myles and of course the art deco woodwork.  More photos please.

Sacrilege but is QM more gorgeous than QE2?
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2012, 08:41 PM by Queet-two »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:57 PM »

Welcome Aboard letter

Room key,Party entrance ticket,Brunch voucher & guide

The room key and booklet when you check in

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:14 PM »
Quote from: Cunardqueen on Today at 12:31:49 AM
The prop box

Yuck!  Whats going on there?  Is that scum on top of the water in the box?  I'm amazed that box has lasted so long...  what is done to stop the water being disgusting - is it changed and filtered like a swimming pool? 
Rob
 No idea how the prop box water is cleaned, l guess they skim the surface or something, doubt very much its filtered.. but compare these photos taken 12 month appart. the last visit it really looked like someone had just scattered sand/dust on top

Above Jan 2011

and Jan 2012 a year on

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:43 PM »
The Mini suite B424 was a lovely suite, as soon as you open the doors the history seems to grab you, l did my usual and just spent some time looking round, opening drawers and the like before unpacking.
The cabin  overlooked the dockside, which didn't bother me, and the portholes could be opened.
Having quickly unpacked (heck l was only going to be one night) but it seemed a shame not to use the wardrobes l then headed back and went outside to meet my cousin. He lives in Whittier and has always enjoyed his brunch visits to Queen Mary, with his perhaps exocentric cousin, but this was going to be different this was New Years eve, and thoughts of The Poseidon Adventure (the original) were somewhere at the back of my mind.

Time seemed to be against us as we headed of on a very quick  tour of QM, down to B deck to drop of his  overnight bag and then a brisk walk round the decks,  Sir Winstons was where my parents went many years ago with my cousin and his mother for Dinner and they left with a plate as a souvenir of the meal, my cousin still remarks on the fact that it must have been the tip at the end that allowed such a request to be granted. Plate collecting from ships followed me and my years onboard QE2, but as we know that's another story..

The warm afternoon on deck (its still winter in my mind) seemed strange to me being so far away from the cold that l associate with New Year the lobby was busy with guests checking in, a stand had been set up beside there for you to collect the party hats, blowers etc for the overnight guests.
The Observation bar enroute seemed  the ideal place to stop for a drink.With the time passing 4pm and various texts were coming from friends and family back home in the UK, gosh it was already New year with them, It was of course much to soon to return the greetings to them, heck l still had 8 hours of 2011 left and to be in this location, half way round the world was still a unique experience. with that we both sat ordered drinks and began to reminisce of past years, suddenly a QE2 bag appeared from behind one of the pillars, and lo and behold appeared a face from QE2 final crossing, the same guy who l bumped into onboard last visit as well, as fate would have it, and this floored everyone, that during the conversation it dawned on him that my cousin who was a teacher, actually taught him at school, perhaps more years ago that anyone cares to remember, and as it happened only stays a few streets away. Of all the places in all the world, QE2 does indeed reunite the world. and what a small world it is. One of the rare times lv seen my cousin lost for words.

The Grand Salon Dinner buffet was starting at 6pm and would end at 9pm, and right now it didn't leave a great deal of time to get changed, but back to our cabin to get changed and get ready for 2011 New Years Eve aboard The Queen Mary.   

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Really enjoying your story, Myles! It makes the whole adventure so real :)

And I love the sense of enjoyment you express, the way you lived every minute to the full!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:19 PM »
The Guide to New Year onboard Queen Mary

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2012, 01:38 AM »
** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img35/9751/usa2012part1716.jpg[/img]
Up the golden stairs to the Dinner Buffet

Lights, camera and ticket check, not forgetting to collect your free party blower, and hat
and of course the red carpet for a Queen  ;)

Meet n greet with The Captain, the trainers, and said party hat ???
QE2 was having her own New Years party. As always she was suitably advertised with tie and pins..  
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2012, 08:14 PM by Cunardqueen »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2012, 01:54 AM »

Entry to the Grand Salon.Portable bars on the right side.

Note the prefilled chilled water and one knife ::)

The venue !! and that iconic map

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:46 AM »
The venue for tonight's Grand New Years Eve Dinner Buffet was the Grand Salon. The same venue where the famous Champagne Sunday brunch is served.If you've been to the Brunch then you will know just what a vast range of items are there and just what a set up they do put on. Tonight was slightly different, the Buffet display was underneath the map of the Atlantic and while the choice and range wasn't anywhere near the same as the brunch (that is by no means a criticism!) it was still an amazing display.

Buffets l always think, and more so in America really should come with a warning, l always end up with my first plate heaped full, but this time l sought common sense and little and often was the routine, but heck even that takes will power. What limited will power l have doesn't last long at Buffets anyway. A vast array of cold starters and the hot buffet carving station where the chefs were only to pleased to carve up the choice of hot meats, my eyes of course caught the dessert section and knew l would have to save space for that.
The service during the buffet was as always perfect, you left your seat, and they cleared the plate, the water was topped up when you were there. Plenty of staff on duty, the service at some buffets can be a hit or a miss in that sometimes your previous plate can be still on your table when you return, ok its only a tiny niggle.but these things do add up. The servers were all as usual polite friendly and happy to chat, my only thing which l don't like (and it seems to be an American thing) is this one knife lark throughout. You can even leave it on the plate and the servers will very kindly place it back on your table rather than give you a clean one.
 But then when your out dining in America Iv noticed the different eating habits compared to the UK, of course the Americans notice our eating habits and quite probably think we are equally strange, it took me some time to realise that my toast at breakfast times was already buttered and l was putting butter on the unbuttered side.Im probably best to shut up about eating habits....well really who checks the underside of toast anyway..

The portable bars were doing a brisk trade, and given the size, they appeared to have nearly every drink you could think of. The price was l must say very reasonable and very quick service, though the ice bucket on top full of dollar bills is of course a gentle reminder that "they accept tips" and given the service, in general l found it was always a pleasure to do so. The uk is sadly lacking in this customer service. Again its the small things but when the bartender remembers what you had the last time, its always a big plus in my book. Working in the bar trade lm more aware that when your out and about, buy the barman a drink at the start and chances are you wont really have a long wait the next time your at the bar, and if your lucky maybe a tad extra.

The Grand Salon wasn't full by any means, but it was certainly very busy. When dessert time came, again a nice choice of items, and in true QE2 fashion the little fruit tartlets,  synonymous with her Afternoon Teas, it was of course appropriate to raise a glass to dear old QE2 and thinking about how her New year party went. It would have been nice to attend l thought, BUT given the limited information and seemingly last minute planning l was perfectly happy where l was, and the more you read, the more you wonder if it might have been a disappointment what with security guards and portaloos....

They had scheduled the two firework displays for 9pm and Midnight, the earlier one was of course a great way of ensuring that most if not everyone would be away and on deck by 9pm so they could ready the place for the evening entertainment, that was to stop at midnight and then the poor staff would have to reset and get the place organised for the following days brunch..and that would probably take several hours!

« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2012, 02:17 PM by Cunardqueen »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:12 AM »
Some pictures from the Buffet....

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:25 AM »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:44 AM »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:49 AM »

The little fruit tartlets were a reminder of the Afternoon teas on QE2.....

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2012, 02:00 AM »
With just over three hours of 2011 left we both left the Buffet and headed out on deck to see the Firework display, it was also a good way of ensuring that everyone was out of the Grand Salon and up on deck. To be in Long Beach (and it was winter!) that last thing l expected was fog, and it wasn't just any old fog but thick fog.If you've ever visited Long Beach you will be aware of just how bright a place it is at night, well we couldn't see anything! the firework show started and we could hear the bangs, but heck we couldn't see anything.
 Its fair to say most folks were out on deck, and it was really nice to see the ship alive with passengers, in fact given the weather you would have thought we were mid Atlantic.

The forward bow area had their vip party (extra charge) well under way but it was fun to mingle with some of the other guests, and inspite of the fog, the firework display continued on. A general walk round the ship was enough to realise that the rest of the parties were in full swing, the bars were doing a good trade and everyone was in good spirits, and during the whole evening l couldn't say l saw anyone who was obviously drunk, had this been Scotland, l dare say some might not have even made it to midnight.

We settled on the Dueling Pianos in the Queens Salon, Given the choice of venues there and the Observation Bar seemed the place to be. The Pianists were very good, with a lot of audience participation and great music and every seat taken, and many more standing. (turns out they were in Vegas the next week) Even with the crowds the bar service was pretty quick, but l had a special bottle of Vintage Veuve 2002 which was already in the cabin in the ice bucket, and now seemed as good a chance to go and get it, which l did, the bottle cover was an extra touch & it kept it cold,plastic glasses for safety sake and with that made my way back to the Queens Salon to get my cousin and we would move to the Observation Bar.

Passing through the Main Hall Everette and Greg were on duty in their finery, giving out directions,alas they were working and had to decline a glass of fizz, but on my next visit l will make up for that..

The Observation Bar was as expected busy with the Jazz band and New Year 2011 was quickly slipping away, l never really cared for New years Eve, the end of one year and lord knows what the next one would hold, and if that wasn't enough l was usually working, but this time, even with the different location the emotions do run a bit high, and l still couldn't get the Poseidon Adventure out of my mind, corny l know.

The champagne was popped and duly  sampled, the atmosphere was nothing short of amazing, here was little old me half way round the world with my cousin, both of us from the same Island in Orkney, and yet now he lived some 40 km away from here and together onboard the magnificent Hotel Queen Mary this New Years Eve. l could scarcely believe l was here, But here l was,now seemed as good a time to charge the glasses, the Band were starting the countdown New Year 2011 was going out in style....
HAPPY NEW YEAR
2012 came in with a resounding Cheer as  Happy New Year was shouted out and the blowers were blown, heaven knows if the whistle sounded,we wouldn't have heard it anyway but time to wish those nearby a Happy New Year, the champagne tasted even better this time round, a toast with my cousin to 2012 and absent friends, a fleeting thought of SS Posiedon, the atmosphere really was quite something else, nothing like the New Year back home with the pipes etc, this New Year was just so different in every way, A quick phone call to the family back home,no blocked lines as is normally the case and it was shortly after 8am with them so l could wish them a proper Happy New Year.            
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2012, 02:05 AM by Cunardqueen »

Pat Curry

« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:36 PM »
I am sooo enjoying your reports.  It's all mouthwatering Myles. And I don't just mean the food.

I love the aged chef bottom pic reply #22.  I presume the on board galley(s) are operational for day to day hotel restaurant cooking.  

Dominque said " what a dapper young man" (in bottom pic #18).  I replied "yes and Myles looks good too"  

Seems to me you were at the best Queen party of them all ( inc new QE, Q Vic, QM2 and the beloved QE2.  Amazing to think they were all at it on that night.

How does QM rate as a hotel? Please give a professional inspector's report.

And how much was a night on board QM for NYE?

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:24 PM »
  And how much was a night on board QM for NYE?     

To me given the fact l was half way round the world,l wasn't working over the festive season, there was no way l couldn't spend this time any where else other than onboard Queen Mary. So from my way of thinking l honestly didn't consider what l paid as being expensive, plus l was onboard, to me,a  very special and unique ship, and what price can you put on that?
Given that most hotels do jack their rates up for this time of year, having said all that to give an idea the Mini suite New Years Eve package was $599 normally its around  $180 a night The Full blown suites were quoted at over $800 The Queen Mary Suite l had last year is normally around the $450, but when your up in that price league you do have a certain amount of perhaps luck in obtaining a lower rate.  (l did pay somewhat less than that ) The buffet was $88 a head.Ok l could have had a cheaper cabin but l wanted separate rooms.
Given that the package rate also included  two tickets for upto 8 party venues, it included the Champagne Sunday Brunch for two which is normally around $50 each.The VIP party on the bow was an extra charge.The nice gift as well was an added touch.
For people who wanted to party and were not spending the night, there was also the General Admission price that they had to pay ontop of any Dinner tickets

The night before l had a nice cabin a Deluxe King size for $144. The night after New years Eve they had promotions for rooms where you could stay on in the same cabin for $70 (That's a great incentive to fill rooms on probably the quietest night of the year) and probably most would have had breakfast as well which is extra...

To Joe Blogs in the street yes its expensive.But consider how much Edinburgh or London charge for the same period, theres no way you would have had the same size room for that rate.
  The Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego for the same time was charging much more for less, that would have been my second choice, it is a lovely hotel....
Sure in general terms when your booking the Queen Mary there are various discounts,general tips and things that can be done that might ensure your paying the lowest rate for the grade your in, but when your dealing with Christmas/New year your are paying a premium for that alone

Seems to me you were at the best Queen party of them all ( inc new QE, Q Vic, QM2 and the beloved QE2.  Amazing to think they were all at it on that night.

And what Queen doesnt enjoy a good party.... ;)