Author Topic: Clydebank Fitting out Basin to be filled in  (Read 22994 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Clydebank Fitting out Basin to be filled in
« on: Aug 25, 2011, 10:21 PM »
I received this message this evening which was greatly concerned me -

There is an article in this weeks Clydebank Post regarding the redevelopment of the former John Brown's shipyard.
I was shocked to see that they are planning to fill in or partially fill in the fitting out basin adjacent to the Titan Crane.
I think this would be an act of vandalism considering the history of the site, and also would ruin the setting of the Grade A listed Titan Crane.
I was a surprised that the fitting out basin was not a listed structure.

The Dawn Group/ Clydeside Regeneration are holding a public consultation prior to their planning application, they have an exhibition at Cart Street Clydebank on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd September 12:00-20:00 on Thursday, 13:00-19:00 on Friday and 10:00 to 12:00 on Saturday.

Do you think some of the people on the QE2 story website would be interested in trying to change the proposals?

Also I see on the Historic Scotland website it is possible to propose a building/ structure to be listed, perhaps that is what is needed to prevent this atrocity.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2011, 12:31 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Fitting out Basin to be filled in
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2011, 10:25 PM »
Ubelievable! :o

On what grounds do the powers that be propose to carry out this act of cultural vandalism?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2011, 10:33 PM »
I'm going to go along next week to find out more.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2011, 10:34 PM »
Hmmm... I'm sure with a bit of imagination they could make the basin a centrepiece that would enhance the development rather than fill it in.  For a start they talk about leiure and waterfront; I can think of several possibilities for the basin that would combine the two and probably increase the return on their investment, and I'm sure I'm not the only one...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2011, 10:43 PM »
They've been far too keen in Glasgow to fill in all the docks. Docks which nowadays we could never afford to construct.

If they do anything at all to alter the shape of that dock, one of the last intact bits of the shipyard, it will be a disgrace.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2011, 10:51 PM »
My first thoughts are that it would be an ideal point from which tourist sightseeing boats could arrive and depart ( I am thinking more of the sort of vessel that is used on the Thames in London, but have to ask is it possible to get Waverley in there or has the water silted up too much over the years?? ).

Then again, given the length and width of it, it should be possible to make a few uniquely histprical berths available for private yachts to ties up to - given the history of the area and the location if the full scale of the development goes ahead, then they could probably justifiably charge a premium for a mooring there.

Putting one of those waterfront restaurants at the very end of it, with the dining room windows facing down the length of the basin, would create a dramatic view; this could be tied in with one of the hotel proposals - have the restaurant on the ground floor, open to non residents, and build the hotel above making sure that the premium suites face out across the basin; they could have the best suite possibly at the exact height of, and just a few feet in front of, where the bow points of all three Great Queens would have been during fitting out.

And that's just the immediate three ideas...

Offline Rod

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Maybe they could fit the QE2 in it and then fill it in?

Offline Sea Pigeon

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2011, 11:12 PM »
That would be a great idea, that would create jobs and encourage visitors to the town  ;)

Graeme

Online Bob C.

« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2011, 12:08 AM »
A travesty at a minimum. QM, QE, QE2 and others: such history that will be vandalized by the mere plackard marking the spot rather than the actual basin. This history rich location deserves much much more recognition. Do we cherish nothing anymore?

Online No 736

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2011, 12:20 AM »
The fitting out basin is every bit as important as the Titan crane, the Glasgow school of art, the Hillhouse etc. etc.
This must not happen, there is no requirement for more supermarkets and the like. What are these people thinking about?

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2011, 02:53 AM »

The article says "significant public realm work around the Titan Crane." but I'm curious as to where the specific information on filling in or partially filling in the fitting out basin comes from.

Is there another source for this information?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2011, 07:23 AM »

The article says "significant public realm work around the Titan Crane." but I'm curious as to where the specific information on filling in or partially filling in the fitting out basin comes from.

Is there another source for this information?

the map that was in the clydebank post print edition showed the basin partly or fully filled in. I'll try to get an image, and will also find out more when I go to look at the planning application.

Offline Alistair

« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2011, 07:48 AM »
They might as well bulldoze the whole town into the basin and walk away. As an ex Bankie I'm at a loss as to why they want to remove what precious little is left of the town's past. They should be trying to put a ship into the basin. Any ship that was built at Brown's would do but I have my own preference of course! The ship could be a focal point for other developments as suggested on this thread already.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2011, 09:44 AM »
I thinks its disgrace that they should even consider filing in the fitting out basin

And when you consider this little extension bit and what it means as part of the Queens history to even think to fill in this bit is a national disgrace, However to joe public, its probably only a space.... 

I am right in saying this was added for the fitting out of the original Queens and the bow would fit in this place here...

<dead link removed>
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2022, 06:14 PM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!