Author Topic: The Wardroom  (Read 33592 times)

Offline riskygizmo

Re: The Wardroom
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:43 PM »
A rather fine collection your son has there Skilly.

Something I had, but lost (had stolen  >:() was a Wardroom Zippo lighter. It was etched with the old QE2 monogram filled with Cunard Red enamel with etched script filled in black describing a circle surrounding this, RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 above and Wardroom below. It was my constant companion and trusty friend for many years. Now I just have to get by with a plain, unadorned Zippo.

I do look out for another one on Ebay and have seen a few QE2 Zippos, but never a Wardy one.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:26 AM »
I have a QE 2 Falklands zippo. Not used any more but stored!

Offline Graham Taylor

The Wardroom
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:39 AM »
I have a QE 2 Falklands zippo. Not used any more but stored!

Yes I've got one of those too. Bought from the PO's Club during one of my invites into there. Dropped at at some point and chipped a bit of the green enamel which was a pity.
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:47 PM »
i only have memories ::)
paul

Offline skilly56

« Reply #34 on: Feb 14, 2013, 12:54 AM »
I've only just looked at the 'Glass Block QE2" again and realised what is wrong with it. The ship is 'rudderless!". Definitely not a good look for the 'manufacturer' who couldn't follow the drawings properly.

Rosie, mail coming shortly - just arrived home from Dampier, and the Indian Ocean, where we experienced steel aft deck temperatures of 80.2 degrees C, my 8 foot high by 4 foot wide wheelhouse window exploded outwards, and the ship's engine room and accommodation lighting circuits kept tripping out because of the heat. Daytime ambient temperatures between 43 & 45 degrees C were getting to be the norm, and we had one man on deck just hosing the A.C. and refrigeration air-cooled condensers just to stop the units from tripping out!
Cheers
From a much cooler Skilly, now back in Auckland.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:22 PM »
I've only just looked at the 'Glass Block QE2" again and realised what is wrong with it. The ship is 'rudderless!". Definitely not a good look for the 'manufacturer' who couldn't follow the drawings properly.

Perhaps an apt metaphor for The Ship in her current condition though.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2013, 04:28 PM »
"My dear Arnott,
                          I am writing to thank you and the members of your Mess for your kindness and hospitality to me. I must say your Wardroom Mess is one of the finest layouts I have ever seen in any ship."

An extract from a letter sent by Lord Louis, Earl Mountbatten to Bob Arnott after a trip aboard in 1969, quoted in Captain of the Queen p. 155.

The photo below shows neither Captain Bob nor the former Viceroy.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2013, 04:41 PM by riskygizmo »
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:15 PM »
"My dear Arnott,
                          I am writing to thank you and the members of your Mess for your kindness and hospitality to me. I must say your Wardroom Mess is one of the finest layouts I have ever seen in any ship."

An extract from a letter sent by Lord Louis, Earl Mountbatten to Bob Arnott after a trip aboard in 1969, quoted in Captain of the Queen p. 155.

The photo below shows neither Captain Bob nor the former Viceroy.

At the risk of being banned!!!!

You little ****!!!!  How dare you show a pic of an unnamed Engineer with hair!!!! AND Sideburns!!!!!
I expect a copy in my inbox!!!!!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #38 on: Mar 27, 2013, 01:58 PM »

The Night Hotel Officer would lock up the bar at 1am and in general the system worked well.  However, it was thought that a small minority abused the trust placed in them (and perhaps the company realised it could profit too) and eventually a barman and higher prices were introduced.

Lock the bar? At 1am? What did the 12-4 do for breakfast?
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Matron

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
« Reply #39 on: Mar 28, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Previously stashed tinnies - obviously!
2000-2007

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #40 on: Mar 28, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Previously stashed tinnies - obviously!

Of course. To paraphrase Mel Gibson in that film wot he done

"They may take our bar but they'll never take our LAGER!" :)
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #41 on: Mar 28, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Actually what used to happen was the keys were kept on the bridge. 12-4 mate would bring them down, or somebody would go and get them. If the NHO didn't take them up there a search party was sent out!

Offline Matron

• QE2 Crew member
« Reply #42 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:46 PM »
They kept that one quiet...
2000-2007

Offline Rod

« Reply #43 on: Mar 28, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Actually Matron, the front shutters of the bar could be opened with a table knife! The side door if the bolts were not properly secured could also be opened with relative ease!

"They may take our bar but they'll never take our LAGER!" :)

Offline Matron

• QE2 Crew member
« Reply #44 on: Mar 31, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Well it did seem a bit OTT for things to be forcibly shut at 1am, so I'm glad that the appropriate people knew the way around the system!  Of course being a very conscientious and responsible nurse (like each and every one of my colleagues of course), I would never have needed a table knife ;D

But it was still a very sad day when the DIY service and tally sheets were replaced with a barman and hiked prices....
2000-2007

QE2 Wardroom logo

Started by firstgencunarderBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 7
Views: 3341
Last post Aug 07, 2013, 12:38 PM
by riskygizmo
Wardroom Memorabilia

Started by JonBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 12
Views: 5724
Last post Feb 15, 2014, 11:50 AM
by Jim Bennett
The Former Officers' Wardroom, now the new Queens Grill Lounge

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 13
Views: 707
Last post Feb 24, 2020, 11:38 PM
by Peter Mugridge