Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Wardroom  (Read 22294 times)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: The Wardroom
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2012, 12:43 PM »
Hello.

Can anyone advise me if they think this is real? I've seen it in a local antique centre. Thanks.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2012, 01:08 PM »
Could be a good find, Rob!
Did you get an opportunity to look at the back of the plaque - might it have been presented in honour of her first Worldie?

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2012, 01:11 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Rob,
It's a real one. Same as the one my dad gave to me in the early 80's.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Definately real.
That was design #2 by Martin Harrison I believe!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Thanks! I bought it :)

Where was it, what was it for?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2012, 09:50 PM »
They are very much real, l bought one years ago, wrongly listed,  and later resold it for a profit of over £100, Its half way round the world now next to a QE2 Captains chair..
You did well to get it at that price  ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #26 on: Apr 22, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Rob they were bought by the Wardroom to be presented to ships/people that gave us a plaque or similar. They were also available for sale to members. I believe mine was seven pounds when I bought it!

Offline Rod

« Reply #27 on: Apr 22, 2012, 10:13 PM »
The "Original" Wardy plaque was a silhouette of the funnel. It was called the "Hoover" plaque for obvious reason if you saw it. It was, like the ship, very 60's ish. Wardy wanted to get a bit more class later and Marting came up with that design that was approved.

Offline patchandler

« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:19 AM »
I know I come late into this topic, but the Wardroom plaque is definately genuine, as I have one about 3 feet from where I am sitting typing this into my computer.
The Wardroom also used to have a cocktail party each crossing in the 1970's where we would invite notable passengers who were making the trip. The one who really stood out in my memory was Ronnie Barker, who was as funny in real life as he was on the TV. He leant on the bar giving an ad-lib performance that had nearly everyone in stitches. It was so good that no-one wanted to leave, much to the irritation of the Wardroom restaurant Steward who was waiting to serve dinner.
I seem to remember that there was a Committee that ran the Wardroom, and made the rules, but having said that it was a very democratic place, and had the finest view on the ship (except possibly compared with the Bridge, some two decks higher up)

Offline skilly56

« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:31 PM »
On the final voyage to Dubai there were a number of special items for wardroom members to commemorate the trip.
The Southampton 'Final Lift-Off' plaque shown below is number 42 of 64 that were presented to wardroom members.

And the final plaque at the bottom was to commemorate her life with Cunard.

The last photo shows the glass trophy that I believe was presented to all crew members on the last trip. The 3D image of the ship is laser-etched inside the glass block, and the block isn't light! About 300 mm long.

Somewhere I heard a story that the first shipment of the glass blocks were 'purloined in transit' whilst enroute to Southampton, and another requisition had to be actioned. Can anyone confirm this?

These items were presented to my son (3rd officer) on arrival in Dubai.
Skilly
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2013, 04:57 PM by skilly56 »

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:43 PM »
A rather fine collection your son has there Skilly.

Something I had, but lost (had stolen  >:() was a Wardroom Zippo lighter. It was etched with the old QE2 monogram filled with Cunard Red enamel with etched script filled in black describing a circle surrounding this, RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 above and Wardroom below. It was my constant companion and trusty friend for many years. Now I just have to get by with a plain, unadorned Zippo.

I do look out for another one on Ebay and have seen a few QE2 Zippos, but never a Wardy one.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:26 AM »
I have a QE 2 Falklands zippo. Not used any more but stored!

Offline Graham Taylor

The Wardroom
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:39 AM »
I have a QE 2 Falklands zippo. Not used any more but stored!

Yes I've got one of those too. Bought from the PO's Club during one of my invites into there. Dropped at at some point and chipped a bit of the green enamel which was a pity.
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK

Offline PaulInuk

• passenger and crew at sametime
  • Mauretania Diner (Late Sitting)
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:47 PM »
i only have memories ::)
paul

Offline skilly56

« Reply #34 on: Feb 14, 2013, 12:54 AM »
I've only just looked at the 'Glass Block QE2" again and realised what is wrong with it. The ship is 'rudderless!". Definitely not a good look for the 'manufacturer' who couldn't follow the drawings properly.

Rosie, mail coming shortly - just arrived home from Dampier, and the Indian Ocean, where we experienced steel aft deck temperatures of 80.2 degrees C, my 8 foot high by 4 foot wide wheelhouse window exploded outwards, and the ship's engine room and accommodation lighting circuits kept tripping out because of the heat. Daytime ambient temperatures between 43 & 45 degrees C were getting to be the norm, and we had one man on deck just hosing the A.C. and refrigeration air-cooled condensers just to stop the units from tripping out!
Cheers
From a much cooler Skilly, now back in Auckland.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:22 PM »
I've only just looked at the 'Glass Block QE2" again and realised what is wrong with it. The ship is 'rudderless!". Definitely not a good look for the 'manufacturer' who couldn't follow the drawings properly.

Perhaps an apt metaphor for The Ship in her current condition though.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2013, 04:28 PM »
"My dear Arnott,
                          I am writing to thank you and the members of your Mess for your kindness and hospitality to me. I must say your Wardroom Mess is one of the finest layouts I have ever seen in any ship."

An extract from a letter sent by Lord Louis, Earl Mountbatten to Bob Arnott after a trip aboard in 1969, quoted in Captain of the Queen p. 155.

The photo below shows neither Captain Bob nor the former Viceroy.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2013, 04:41 PM by riskygizmo »
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:15 PM »
"My dear Arnott,
                          I am writing to thank you and the members of your Mess for your kindness and hospitality to me. I must say your Wardroom Mess is one of the finest layouts I have ever seen in any ship."

An extract from a letter sent by Lord Louis, Earl Mountbatten to Bob Arnott after a trip aboard in 1969, quoted in Captain of the Queen p. 155.

The photo below shows neither Captain Bob nor the former Viceroy.

At the risk of being banned!!!!

You little ****!!!!  How dare you show a pic of an unnamed Engineer with hair!!!! AND Sideburns!!!!!
I expect a copy in my inbox!!!!!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #38 on: Mar 27, 2013, 01:58 PM »

The Night Hotel Officer would lock up the bar at 1am and in general the system worked well.  However, it was thought that a small minority abused the trust placed in them (and perhaps the company realised it could profit too) and eventually a barman and higher prices were introduced.

Lock the bar? At 1am? What did the 12-4 do for breakfast?
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Matron

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
« Reply #39 on: Mar 28, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Previously stashed tinnies - obviously!
2000-2007