Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens  (Read 36997 times)

Offline cunarder1212

QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:56 PM »
While doing the full world cruise on Queen Victoria the QE2 looked very good in Dubai espesialy at night with all her lights on.
    I got some very good pictures sailing out when both ships sounded their horns.
   An officer told me that ths Queens bust from Queens room,the ships bell in its wooden frame,the silver ships model from the midships lounge and the painting from above the jigsaws have been removed for fittiing to the new Queen Elizabeth.
   You can see me and my wife on Alisdairs blog im the 1st Feb and the 1st of April editions.
                                                                                                     Cunarder1212
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2018, 11:55 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline highlander0108

Re: QE2 memorabilia
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:36 AM »
   An officer told me that ths Queens bust from Queens room,the ships bell in its wooden frame,the silver ships model from the midships lounge and the painting from above the jigsaws have been removed for fittiing to the new Queen Elizabeth.

I unfortunately am skeptical of this information, the key bit that we know for a fact that ss incorrect is the Mauritania painting which was removed on the Farewell to the UK trip.  I might agree that having a few items from QE2 on her "replacement" might be nice, but on second thought, it might be a painful reminder to see.  Perhaps we can get some confirmation eventually on the Cunard blog or from Flagship.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:54 AM »
It would be ironic if Nakheel were to sell Cunard their heritage back.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Hello Cunarder 1212,

You'll find something definite about what happened to the picture of Mauritania that used to live above the jigsaw puzzle
in Post #6 here:
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1638.0.html

There was also a question regarding the picture of HM The Queen and HRH Prince Philip that lived on the main staircase.
There was a rumour that this had been returned to the royal collection.
Maybe we'll never know what's happened to any of these works of art, until they turn up in different places -I wonder whether they could have been included in a confidential part of the Contract of Sale! 

To find the bronze bust of The Queen that was cast by Oscar Nemon (?specifically for that position on QE2), being used to decorate another "Queen's" Room would seem downright inappropriate!

(PS Hopefully someone will correct these facts if they aren't correct! :)  )

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:31 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:20 PM »
There was also a question regarding the picture of HM The Queen and HRH Prince Philip that lived on the main staircase.
There was a rumour that this had been returned to the royal collection.

On the in port day between the Round UK and the West Bound crossing l passed the staircase and there was a film crew taking a great deal of interest in that pictures, well l assume it was a film crew... 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Stowaway2k

QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2010, 07:58 PM »
QE2 does have a presence on board QV in the Cunardia museumette and elsewhere.
She is sure to have one on QE as well.

The comparison to QE2/QM-QE in the late '60's is fair.  Cunard wanted to distance themselves from the old Queens and celebrate their new "spaceship" and look toward the future.
QM and QE were by then, though still beloved by many,  seen as frumpy, dowdy, outdated, old fashioned and stuffy.  After all, Cunard themselves said "Ships have been boring long enough".   The passenger numbers on the old Queens were pathetic by the mid-sixties and they were each losing millions annually.

In a way, well more than just in a way, it's very ironic now as Cunard very openly market themselves as the standard bearer of maritime heritage and tradition.  This was a major part of marketing QE2 in her later years, but now Cunard seem to be somewhat skipping over her and going straight to Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth time and again.

With the re-use of the Yacht Club name on QE, I wonder how much of a presence QE2 will have in the decor?  Cunard claim to be "recreating" the Yacht Club on QE, which IMO is exaggeration, they're simply using the name.... but with all the drum-beating they're doing about art-deco liner influences on QE, they can't very well do much "recreating" of the Yacht Club without the contemporary modern decor that was the Yacht Club on QE2.  Have they released any rendering of QE's Yacht Club?

Too bad that when Cunard announced they are "recreating" the Midships Bar on QE, because QM and QE each had a Midships Bar, they neglected to mention that QE2 also had a Midships Bar.   The one on Queen Mary was a post-war addition, in answer to the great success that QE's Midships Bar was enjoying.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2010, 09:02 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Michael Gallagher

Re: QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Without giving anything away - you will be delighted with what you will find in the Yacht Club. Well, I hope you will. And the flags will make a statement that will underline QE2's importance. Not long to wait for now! ;)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Without giving anything away - you will be delighted with what you will find in the Yacht Club. Well, I hope you will. 

Well you know what a hard bunch us old timers are to please.... ;) Of course if your wrong you will never hear the end of it,
Then again if its too close, we might find that upsetting... lol

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Without giving anything away - you will be delighted with what you will find in the Yacht Club. Well, I hope you will. And the flags will make a statement that will underline QE2's importance. Not long to wait for now! ;)

Sounds great!  I'm looking forward to seeing this space especially.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2010, 08:56 PM »
 I know what it is of course!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2010, 05:07 AM »

Queen Mary's lost piano last seen on QE2 would be a nice sight!   ;);D

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Isnt the piano so fragile that to move it would cause untold damge.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Just about anything onboard QE2's Heritage Trail would make a nice addition to the new cruise ship.  ;)  Perhap it will be Thomas!  ;D

richc1977

« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2010, 07:49 PM »
A large model (perhaps a builders model) of the QE2 perhaps? :)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Hi Richard
There's a large model of QE2 at the entrance to either Hemispheres or the Commodore Club on Queen Victoria
It was lent / donated? by Princess cruise line, I think
I wonder whether that might be the one that you have in mind?

Hopefully it'll have all those wonderful white sails and the same carpet....please, Cunard!
S'pose asking for real wood panelling might be a dream too far.....
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Hi Richard
S'pose asking for real wood panelling might be a dream too far.....

If there is a will, there is a way.....It is possible to achieve the flame/smoke ratings on extremely thin veneers over fire resistant backings.  This company (link below) bonds thin veneers to various substrates such as aluminum, PVC, fiberglass, or even fire treated plywood.  This company does this work for the building trades which have similar stringent codes for life safety. 

Judging from the finishes I saw on QM2 recently, they could very well be employing this technology to achieve the look of full thickness wood joinery and paneling.  We are using this company to achieve a fire/smoke rating for tons of wood panelling in rated stair enclosures where it is typically limited to only 10% of the wall area of the room.
http://www.contactind.com/Top/HOME/tabid/96/Default.aspx

Magic Pipe

« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2010, 12:51 AM »
If there is a will, there is a way.....It is possible to achieve the flame/smoke ratings on extremely thin veneers over fire resistant backings.  This company (link below) bonds thin veneers to various substrates such as aluminum, PVC, fiberglass, or even fire treated plywood.  This company does this work for the building trades which have similar stringent codes for life safety. 

Judging from the finishes I saw on QM2 recently, they could very well be employing this technology to achieve the look of full thickness wood joinery and paneling.  We are using this company to achieve a fire/smoke rating for tons of wood panelling in rated stair enclosures where it is typically limited to only 10% of the wall area of the room.
http://www.contactind.com/Top/HOME/tabid/96/Default.aspx

Right.  Alot of the wood seen on newer ships actually is wood (in public spaces at least).  Maritime fire regulations allow combustible finishes as long as it does not exceed a set amount of potential energy per unit of area, and provided it is bonded to a non-combustible backing.

Actually, wood grain pattern plastic laminate as an alternative to wood does not offer an improvement with respect to combustibility, as plastic also burns.  And unlike wood, plastic can give off heavy, toxic smoke as it burns.

But on that note, why are we asking for real wood as a tribute to QE2?  She was not exactly an old-school ship decked out with wood and brass ship.  If anything, giving the Yacht Club 1960's modern decor would be more fitting, would it not?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2010, 01:38 AM »
Have they released any rendering of QE's Yacht Club?

Yes, I grabbed this image early on from the Cunard website, but now I can only find a partially clipped version of it here:
http://wearecunard.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/yacht-club.jpg

Now that showcase appears to have a non-descript ship's model featured.  Perhaps this was just a stock image the rendering artist used or perhaps it was just a placeholder for something more important...hmmmm.  Surely, whatever goes in that case should be instantly recognizable and significant in Cunard history.  Does anyone know what that ship is?  It doesn't even have a Cunard funnel.  :o  
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2010, 01:40 AM by highlander0108 »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2010, 01:59 AM »
From another angle, courtesy of Rob, same spot, but called Hemispheres on Queen Victoria.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightbody/4843091047/in/photostream/

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #19 on: Sep 07, 2010, 08:02 AM »
Thank you for the picture, Ken! Makes it much easier to imagine the future Yacht Club... provided not too much has changed since this artist's impression was drawn.

I wonder about the flags in the background -- are they just pretty decorations, or do they have a deeper significance?