Author Topic: Foster Wheeler Boilers (+ discussion about redundancy)  (Read 24427 times)

Offline bacon

Does anybody have any pictures or diagrams of the 3 Foster Wheeler ESD II boilers?

Apparently they were the largest maine boilers ever installed, and i just wanted to see how immense they were.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2009, 06:40 PM by Rob Lightbody »
John

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Foster Wheeler Boilers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:07 PM »
She was meant to have 4 apparently, but the 4th was cancelled as part of last minute urgent cost cutting.  Not having a 4th caused her lots and lots of problems, through lack of 'redundancy'.  After 1986, she had lots of redundancy - even with 5 engines out of action, she could keep up with QV!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2009, 06:53 AM »
Five down! How many engines did she have. I thought it was 8, and if she can snap at Vicky's stern at that pace, with all engines up, she probably could run rings around Vicky all across the Pond. (except Carnicunard would not like to have Vicky shown up)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:30 AM »
She has 9 engines. Only 4 or 5 are needed to keep up with QV! 7 were needed for 29 knots.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2009, 07:55 PM »
she probably could run rings around Vicky all across the Pond.
She certainly could!  QE2 can do it in less than 4 days, QV can just do it in 7. 

QE2 was designed to do it in 5 days and maintained that schedule for an awfully long time.  QV's scheduled transatlantic is 8 days.

QE2: 34 knots.  QV: 22/23.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2009, 08:01 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2009, 10:26 PM »
QE2: 34 knots.  QV: 22/23.

Nuff said!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2009, 04:31 AM »
She has 9 engines. Only 4 or 5 are needed to keep up with QV! 7 were needed for 29 knots.

During the tandem crossing, QE2 was running on 4 engines, according to Captain McNaught, who routinely enjoyed poking fun at QV who was running all and only making 17-19 knots.  Another thing to add is that with the 9 MAN engines, cylcling their use has extended their lifespan.  I have heard that there were 20 years service life left in them due to the easy loading they have experienced.  Perhaps that may be exaggerated, but still one has to commend Cunard and the engineers for their daring conversion to diesel-electric propulsion, which is now commonplace.

KenM
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2009, 10:45 AM »
...according to Captain McNaught, who routinely enjoyed poking fun at QV who was running all and only making 17-19 knots. 

With his new appointment imminent, the good Captain won't be laughing soon!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2009, 01:20 PM »
...according to Captain McNaught, who routinely enjoyed poking fun at QV who was running all and only making 17-19 knots. 

With his new appointment imminent, the good Captain won't be laughing soon!

That thought did not escape us.  I believe he was very careful with his words about QV on the farewell cruise.  As he said, he was going from the oldest to the newest, the fastest to the slowest, and the prettiest to the .......he left that out.   ;D  Fill in the blank!

KenM
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:03 PM »

he was going from the oldest to the newest, the fastest to the slowest, and the prettiest to the .......

Thats fantastic, good for him!  Sign me up for the McNaught fan club.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Thats fantastic, good for him!  Sign me up for the McNaught fan club.

Even better, have it both ways! Sign up McNaught to the Forum!

Can we find him and ask...?

Offline Andy F

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Agree, let's get the good Captain among us!  Who knows, he may have popped in already?

Offline Waverley

Re: Foster Wheeler Boilers (+ discussion about redundancy)
« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:48 PM »
Bacon,
         Are these the three Foster Wheeler Boilers shown in the cut away diagram?
Robert

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2009, 08:13 AM »
Captain McNaught, who routinely enjoyed poking fun at qV

On the entire WC Captain McNaught regularly poked gentle fun at the Vicky.It was ne of the fun things about his daily announcements!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2009, 04:42 PM »
Waverly,
    Where did you get that cut away?  Never seen that one before.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Bob,
     The cut away, I found in a book , The Encyclopedia of Transport by Marshall Cavendish IBSN - 0 85685 1760.

The cut away was printed over the two pages and would not fit into my scanner. Here is the bow section
Robert

Online Bob C.

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2009, 10:38 PM »
Thanks,
    The artwork in this one is OK and the scale makes it look a bit wide but I love cutaways.  I've got one of the QE2 that my dad bought in 1969 (exactly like the 1969 one on Rob's website) that I had matted and framed.  Its about 1 m x 1.5 m but I reference it all the time and it looks great on the wal.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I found it amazing to view the difference between Queen Elizabeth 2's engine room and the Queen Mary 2's engine room. They were so very different from one another - despite the fact that both the engine rooms were housing diesel engines.

QE2's engine room was truly awesome - an unbelievable experience to stand inside that room surrounded by those massive engines - each roaring with sheer power.

I've got a photo of the engine room I took here : http://www.chriscunard.com/tour-QE2.htm and more in my QE2 book.

Will have images of QM2's engines in QM2: A Photographic Journey - which are in themselves very interesting indeed!
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2009, 01:38 PM by Chris »

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2009, 07:58 AM »
I have the impression that even with her original steam plant, the QE2 could snap at Vicky Brown's stern and probably bite great chunks out of it as well. SEVEN days to cross the Pond!!! Just proves she is just a cruise ship. Poor Captain McNaught. He has gone from the sublime to the rediculous.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 2009, 12:29 PM »
I have the impression that even with her original steam plant, the QE2 could snap at Vicky Brown's stern and probably bite great chunks out of it as well. SEVEN days to cross the Pond!!! Just proves she is just a cruise ship. Poor Captain McNaught. He has gone from the sublime to the rediculous.

QE2 on her original steam plant was a very fast liner indeed - over 30 knots with ease and over 32 knots when pushed.  QV can only manage 23 knots if they turn things off to save power...  Steam-QE2 was a wee bit slower than QM1 and QE despite only having 2 props, but would still easily show a clean pair of heels to any cruise ship today, even QM2.