Author Topic: Final call to Cóbh  (Read 5341 times)

Online Twynkle

Final call to Cóbh
« on: Mar 12, 2009, 06:31 PM »

The Final visit to Cobh - Cork, Ireland
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2009, 12:47 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Malcolm

Final call to Cóbh
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Im sure Malcolm will agree the welcome in Cork was perhaps the stark realisation that this was the start of the end.

Cobh gave us a fantastic reception, stay and sendoff. Almost equal to Liverpool and Glasgow and better (in my opinion) than Newcastle but I feel the start of the end really was when we got to Auckland. That was the first of the last major turnouts of people who had come to see the ship.

(I never got to any of the bars in Cobh. Paul was ill by that time so I was basically on my own, Was the Lusitania Bar any good?)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Final call to Cóbh
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 11:27 AM »
So glad that QE2 was received so well in Cóbh! Particularly with the extra day there...

I read in the newspaper reports at the time of the final call to Cóbh that the onlookers were given white handkerchiefs to wave off QE2 in style, as would have been done in the grand old ocean liner days. Was this very visible on board? Was the effect very special?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:29 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Malcolm

Final call to Cóbh
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Was this very visible on board? Was the effect very special?

Yes and it was the effect of people all waving white hankies! I think that it gave a uniform look that wouldn't have been there had people just been waving their hands. I think the hankies were the joining item between the groups standing in different places.

Final call to Cóbh
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Found this rather moving write-up of the final QE2 visit, complete with hankies, further links and all :

http://www.visitcobh.com/gpage5.html

And another couple of articles :

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/1007/1223323539518.html
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1003/1222959305672.html

The first article also links to a video of Lusitania :

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:55 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Malcolm

Final call to Cóbh
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Thanks for the link to the write-up. I haven't seen it before. :)

Here's my video of out time in Cobh - as you'll see the white hankies aren't that visible.

k.sailaway

Final call to Cóbh
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Probably the worst send off was Belfast, we left shortly after midnight, with an exclusion zone of half a mile nobody was allowed within that zone, we departed to the flashing lights from the one police car. As we sailed past a docked freighter (heck they had more people out on deck seeing us than on the dock side) one of the crew shouted out "Goodbye QE2" l was under the bridge wing with only a few folks on deck and l couldnt resist shouting back "Goodbye Belfast.... " "We're not coming back...They have sold the ship... To Dubai" the few in earshot on deck did laugh.

Contrast that to arriving in Cork where we had an over night stop (thanks to the weather Cherbourg was omitted) as we sailed in you could see the crowds  on the shore and then we heard the sound of the bell ringers, that was an awesome sound and really quite moving.
  Even when QE2 was tied up it was surprising just how close the public were allowed to her.And their send off  did them proud as well.
South Queensferry was another non event :( 

I'm a bit late here, Myles but I like your Belfast tale! The reception in Cobh was superb, as you say, with that unique carillion. Do you remember seeing many hundreds of people high in the hills over more than a mile all waving white hankerchiefs as we sailed out? They showed up well in the fading light, just adding to the sense of occasion.

k.

Online cunardqueen

Re: QE2 on Coast
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2009, 07:26 PM »
I think anyone who was on the Round UK voyage will remember that Cork set the tone for the rest of the voyage, it struck home to me as we sailed in to the wonderful town that probably l wouldnt revist this place again and then it really struck home that from now on it would be nothing but lasts of this and that as we continued round the UK.

The unexpected overnighter was lm sure a bonus for the crew and passengers, l just wonder how much was spent ashore during that time, in fact l wonder how much is spent ashore at the various ports on any cruise.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline highlander0108

Final call to Cóbh
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:20 AM »
Here's a short clip of us passing the pier and Captain McNaught saying goodbye to Cobh with the Tyfons echoing off the hills.  Listen to this one with headphones and it will take you right back to your times on the observation deck!
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 09:04 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online cunardqueen

Re: Cobh, Ireland Final Departure
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:20 AM »
Ken what a glorious piece of work you have there!
 For whats its worth Cobh, was for me a very special place, the overnight was  a great bonus, and the welcome they gave QE2 was nothing short of astounding. I think for many folks, this was the port that made every one realise, this is it, we are never ever coming back on QE2, and in little over a month it would all be over.
 The people were so friendly, it was all in all a great way to start the end  :'(

The bells as we entered the harbour was truly amazing, and something l wont forget.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Ken what a glorious piece of work you have there!
 For whats its worth Cobh, was for me a very special place, the overnight was  a great bonus, and the welcome they gave QE2 was nothing short of astounding. I think for many folks, this was the port that made every one realise, this is it, we are never ever coming back on QE2, and in little over a month it would all be over.
 The people were so friendly, it was all in all a great way to start the end  :'(

The bells as we entered the harbour was truly amazing, and something l wont forget.

Ken,
Well done - That clip is just superb!
Thank Heaven for QE2, Rob and Everyone who posts here!

Myles,
'What a glorious' post, too
Aren't there are some days when missing QE2
is still a heartbreaking affair?!

Rosie

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 10:08 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Yes Rosie it STILL breaks my heart,,....every single day....,sometimes I feel I really have to move on...but its so hard when you loved her SO much....the Cobh departure was unbelievable...everyone on the quayside had been given a white hankie and they  were all waving as we pulled out ....it was one of those truly unforgettable moments.......pity we never got a farewell like that en route to Dubai.

Tried looking for a cruise again this week.....think about this one and that one ...then close the brochure again.....never ever did that with QE2's brochures did we.........they were permanently open....

I have given up reading the various comments on other cruise sites....as obviously QE2 cant live up to that' beautiful' OASIS of the SEAS,,,..........they haven't a clue have they....thing is they just don't know what they missed....but then again would we have wanted their sort  on board OUR QE2  anyway...?   ( MIAOW!)
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 10:17 AM by Cruise_Princess »

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Me and Sue McNaught (Captain's wife) took turns in blowing the whistle as we left Cobh. I remember when the ship did that turn prior to heading out us both thinking we would never make it! Back seat drivers, eh!!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Bravo!  Well done button work!  I found this clip last night and it sent shivers down me listening to it again. 

We watched in somewhat disbelief on how incredibly close it appeared to be for several small craft at the bow as the ship was swung around before we got headed correctly.  I recall thinking how none of that would have been allowed in NYC harbor with all the security precautions. 

It felt like we also got a little speed, perhaps showing off a bit(?) as we went sailing past the main pier and then we slowed again to make it around that tight bouy in the channel, the one where the forward tug was pulling the bow to starboard!  This send off set the stage for the entire cruise!  I'll dig up the clip of us arriving with the churches bells ringing to greet us.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:56 PM »
I'll dig up the clip of us arriving with the churches bells ringing to greet us.

GREAT!!! But please give us some warning first, it shouldnt be thrust upon any of us without some prior warning!!

Why dont we start topics on each of the Round UK farewell ports , so anyone who was there or was watching or couldnt make it, or in fact has anything to say can give us their thoughts, views or photos of this historic voyage.

« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:36 PM »

Why dont we start topics on each of the Round UK farewell ports , so anyone who was there or was watching or couldnt make it, or in fact has anything to say can give us their thoughts, views or photos of this historic voyage.

The threads are there now!   ;D

Great if they give rise to more memories and more inspiration -- and if there's anything in other threads that should be included in these farewell topics, let me know!
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 10:25 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Twynkle

Re: Final call to Cóbh
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 10:29 AM »
'A fond Farewell to Qe2 on her last visit to cobh'
taken on 1/2. 10. 2008
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270621@N06/3451414410/sizes/l/in/set-72157615038125693/
Thanks to AnnWhit.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:28 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

bobso

« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Here is another video of the QE2 "Blowing Her Horn"---If ONLY we could hear it in the U.K. again!!!

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2011, 02:41 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2012, 08:31 PM »
I am currently organising some of the bridgecam pictures I had not yet uploaded; these are the pictures of the final months of QE2's Cunard life.

The pictures for her final call to Cóbh are here :

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=qe2+cobh&w=55206992%40N00&m=tags

If you click on them, you get a slightly larger version with a bit of text.

Offline southfielddane

QE2 final call at Cobh Irish dancing floor show
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2020, 10:02 PM »
My wife and I have spent much of lockdown watching once again our dvds of the final World cruise of the QE2. We were also fortunate to go on the final British Isles cruise and this a clip from the dvds of that cruise. It is the wonderful display of Irish Dancing performed by a local dance group.I have so much video of these two cruises that I hope to put clips of highlights on Youtube in the coming months.
Here is the link

Hello from Simon - final transatlantic (book)

Started by VgerBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 6
Views: 1895
Last post Jan 11, 2011, 05:38 AM
by Scott Ebersold
Final cruise, Mediterranean November 2008

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 10
Views: 5353
Last post May 03, 2021, 06:23 PM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2 final eastbound Atlantic crossing

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 6
Views: 1826
Last post Feb 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
by Twynkle
Final day in NYC

Started by Ocean Liner FanaticBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 26
Views: 4836
Last post Oct 10, 2017, 02:47 PM
by Derek Boyd
The QE2 Timeline - maiden calls, final calls

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 58
Views: 35123
Last post Jan 27, 2018, 09:39 PM
by Thomas Hypher