Author Topic: Kungsholm / Mona Lisa / Veronica  (Read 38575 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Kungsholm / Mona Lisa / Veronica
« on: Dec 26, 2009, 01:27 AM »
Looks like the current Mona Lisa / ex Kungsholm (another Clyde built liner) may have a future as a hotel in Göteborg / Gothenburg in Sweden :

http://www.salship.se/kung_hotel.asp

The future success of any of these classic ships in a stationary role could point to a better future for QE2 too!
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2012, 05:00 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline luzparis

Re: Mona Lisa / Kungsholm
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:36 PM »
i love the idea to transform the ship in hotel !! after rotterdam, goteborg?  that's is a good project !!  when QE2 in southampton ?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline maggie maggot

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2010, 10:26 PM »
At the Ocean Liners ship show Bruce Peter gave an iinspirational talk on what might be the last chance to sailon the Mona Lisa and we looked into the possability of having a trip on her.
Unfortunatly no travel agent in this country will touch it and the Mona Lisa parent company will not except credit cards. Far to risky.
I was talking to someone on Waverley who has booked and I hope all goes well but our cruise agent went to the wolves this year and they were covered but when your money goes out into an unknown it is a lot to loose.
She looks a wonderful ship and we are so sad to have missed her.   

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Ah Kungsholm - a beautiful ship indeed. Built to a very exacting specification and very nearly put Browns out of business. The loss Browns encurred on the Kungsholm build was the largest (for the time) commercial loss of any UK yard.

At least it allowed them to survive (just) long enough to win the QE2 contract.

Gav

RmsAquitania

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2010, 04:22 PM »
Soon there will be none of the clasic liners left - its a tragedy for future generations who will never be able to see or sail on a craftsman built ship, not a mass produced one.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2010, 01:13 PM »
I well remember the Kungsholm used to anchor here in Brodick Bay every year...in the main with Jewish passengers...to celebrate the New Year,,,wish I had taken more notice and actually taken some photographs...but I must have been about 6 at the time...or thereabouts...can't really remember when it was but it was a long time ago....

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: Mona Lisa / Kungsholm - POST LAUNCH PICS
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Hi folks,

A friend who works for Jacobs Engineering rescued these from an old office and has kindly given me permission to post them. They show the newly launched hull of Kungsholm being manouvered into Elderslie Drydocks.
Photos supplied by Stuart McMahon of Ardrossan, Scotland.
Hope they are of interest.
Gav

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Thanks for posting the lovely pics....Stuart had many lovely pics of QE2 sailing up the clyde on flickr and specially passing our Isle of Arran with the Cal Mac ferry in the same frame...a very unique and fantastic photo...i just loved it. he sent me a HR copy of it and it now graces one of our walls in the house....

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2010, 06:57 PM »
QE2 and Kungsholm built on the same slipway. There are photos of QE2's keel with Kungsholm in the background.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2010, 10:21 PM »
If you look at that top photo in post #7 there is a very strong similarity in the hull design.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Mona Lisa - ex Kungsholm is heading from Pireaus (Athens) towards the Suez Canal.
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=311192000
Possibly bound for Oman, where she might become a hospitality ship.

It's unfortunate that she couldn't be of help in Chrstchurch, New Zealand - there are many there still without power and water to their homes.
These were broken in the earthquake on 4th September.

At Tilbury 2009
Thanks to ManorfieldDover
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2010, 11:17 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:36 AM »
I would appreciate any news of this ship, good or bad. She is one I have travelled in, when she was known as SEA PRINCESS, she used to do several cruises a year in the South Pacific, usually during her round the world voyage (she would sell sections of her voyage as short cruises) I travelled from Sydney to Auckland via Bay of Islands in 1990. I fear this lovely ship is another soon to be hacked up at Alang (or some similar gruesome place).

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Well, there is a tiny piece of news here, in today's Daily Echo :

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/shipping/9143207.Six_liners_will_cruise_back_into_city___s_historic_docks/

Mona Lisa an accommodation ship in Oman? Michael, do you have any more news on her?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:25 PM »
Mona Lisa in Dry Dock, being converted to a hotel.

If she can be saved, surely ours can!!??

https://www.flickr.com/photos/worlddiscoverer/6382807149/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.