Author Topic: Not RMS!  (Read 24253 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Not RMS!
« Reply #45 on: Mar 17, 2012, 09:31 PM »
As QE2 was steaming towards the Falklands she was an RMS.... either that or the shipboard printers got it all wrong...

The people on board frequently got that wrong. I'm certain she was never an RMS, I even saw the relevant registry papers in Dubai!  However it may well be the case that she was commonly referred to as this, but it doesn't mean they were right!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2012, 11:39 PM »
As QE2 was steaming towards the Falklands she was an RMS.... either that or the shipboard printers got it all wrong...

Just as a matter of interest - wouldn't QE2 have had RMS painted on her bow, on her stern, on the wind scoop, and even more importantly engraved on her builders plate, had Cunard wanted her to be referred to as a Royal Mail ship?!
Holy Nougat confirms above that the prefix RMS wasn't used on her logs and other legal documentation.
Flagship confirms above that Cunard didn't wish her to be classed as an RMS.
Perhaps it wasn't corrected formally, because for some people (possibly the printers et al) the prefix might have been a convenient way of maintaining a particular sort of status?
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2012, 11:42 PM by Twynkle »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #47 on: Jul 11, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Quote from Flagship, Post 18

QE2 was entitled to be an RMS but was never made so for the reasons so far given........

.....However, this ruling does not seem to have been adhered to on the ship itself. Examples of cabin stationary (printed on board) clearly state 'RMS Queen Elizabeth 2' and several merchandise items do too. I think that is where the confusion comes from.

I was thinking about Flagship's quote in post number 18 regarding cabin stationery printed onboard using RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 when I recently came across these two items. 

The first is a Cunard Landing arrangements leaflets for 8 June 1974 where you can see the RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 is used. 

The second item dated 2 June 1974 is a letter from John Sawyer, Hotel Manager, arrangements for New York.  Again you can see RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 at the top of the letter.

Both of these items verify what Flagship has posted. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE2 was never a Royal Mail Ship (RMS)
« Reply #48 on: Apr 14, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I thought you might all be interested in the following that I've put together after speaking directly to Michael Gallagher and Ian McNaught.  I'm going to use it to attempt, again, to correct one of the many inaccuracies on the QE2's messy Wikipedia page.

https://www.theqe2story.com/aboutQE2/NotRMSQE2.html
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #49 on: Apr 15, 2013, 01:19 AM »
Well I guess that my Falkland Island pewter beet tankard is ...right out of ths wall!!

It says LPLL!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #50 on: Apr 15, 2013, 02:08 AM »
QE2's messy Wikipedia page

which seems to be one person's jealously guarded private domain.

Who is this person?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #51 on: Apr 15, 2013, 08:40 AM »
I have so far managed to get the title of the page changed to remove RMS and also have now edited the text.  It's been an 'interesting' process. If I want to remove the letters RMS, I have to prove she wasn't one, citing a source. However the person who originally wrote it was incorrect and didn't have to cite a source.

References in books are treated as gospel by Wikipedia even though, as Ian mcnaught says, they're often incorrect...

We have a whole separate Wikipedia topic. Sorry for taking this off topic.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #52 on: Apr 15, 2013, 05:31 PM »
and from some promotional adverts...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline holynougat

« Reply #53 on: Apr 21, 2013, 09:16 PM »
I tried editing the wikipedia article to remove RMS a few years ago but my edits were removed within 48 hours...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #54 on: Apr 21, 2013, 09:30 PM »
I tried editing the wikipedia article to remove RMS a few years ago but my edits were removed within 48 hours...

This has taken me many months to achieve, but so far my edits have remained in place.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #55 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:41 AM »
Here is the QE2 letterbox, which at the time I thought was there because I mistakenly thought she was an RMS :

Postbox
by Isabelle Prondzynski, on Flickr

I wondered about the initial though : GR VI? Was this an old letterbox already when it was installed?

Offline Chris Hodges

« Reply #56 on: Oct 16, 2018, 06:19 AM »
King George 6th 1936-1952
Maybe this letter box was originally on the Queen Elizabeth and transfered to QE2 ??

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #57 on: Oct 16, 2018, 04:17 PM »
King George 6th 1936-1952
Maybe this letter box was originally on the Queen Elizabeth and transfered to QE2 ??

And when was it last used -- up to when was it functioning as a letterbox?

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #58 on: Oct 16, 2018, 04:22 PM »
The letterbox is still in the same place onboard in Dubai, outside where the Library and Bookshop used to be on Quarter Deck. One wonders if it will be used...I think I've heard plans it might be but time will tell.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #59 on: Oct 16, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Not sure the box was from either of the Queens as here is what a post box looked like on Queen Elizabeth. Granted each class would have had a box and I think they would have all been in this style and I'm sure Queen Mary would have been similar...