Author Topic: What's she like? (QM2)  (Read 41126 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Whats she like?
« Reply #120 on: Apr 05, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Good to hear from Trevor and the fact that he has sailed on QM2 12 times says a lot about the quality of the ship.

From the moment you step onboard you cannot help but be impressed by the high ceilings of the main corridors and the fabulous murals. There is some amazing artwork onboard QM2 and I remember reading in a Stephen Payne book that there are over 5000 pieces of art displayed onboard.  I have never counted but when onboard there is always  interesting artwork that takes your interest.  I particularly love the sculptures outside the Illuminations.

A couple of photos of the main corridor and the lobby, a place where it is pleasant to sit especially when the musicians are playing.   

I would agree with Trevor that the service quality is probably not so good as it was, which could be down to the pressure that the crew are under, but service is still good.  Being on a Transatlantic trip will give you time to get to know the crew who are serving you.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2014, 09:31 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Liner lover, Christ follower, and Okie.
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #121 on: Apr 06, 2014, 04:56 PM »
We originally went on QM2 in her inaugural season 2004, Maiden Med Cruise and she was beautiful & back then NEW. Since which she has had several refits and still is Amazing, having travelled on her a total of a dozen times, number 13 is only a month away, so that said it should tell you we never can get enough of Queen Mary 2, she is a wonderful experience. To be totally honest, I don't think the service is as good as ten years ago, however the prices are somewhat lower these days, but still better than most of her competition, it will take the whole of your voyage to experience all she has to offer. My personnel favourite Areas are (in no particular order) Commodore Club, Golden Lion Pub, Terrace Pool Bar, & G32 after dark, as well as her promenade deck (Deck 7). I am sure you will have a wonderful time and if like us you will book another voyage before you even finish your first one. Bon Voyage

Thank you! This is very helpful. I'm sure this voyage will be the first of many!
SS United States forever.

The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #122 on: Apr 07, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Hi Hank
Which direction will you be sailing?

We did a full  worldie on QM2 in 2011, you'll find this under  'Live from RMS Queen Mary 2' in the search tab at the top of the home page.
There is also much, much more about her under the specific topic for her.
You might enjoy riding in the external elevator too, specially if the seas are rough, you might also enjoy watching her come into port from her great observation deck.
My criterion for 'trying something' is based on, 'if you can only do it at sea....don't miss it!'!
It will all be a great experience. Enjoy!
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #123 on: Apr 07, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Hi Hank
Which direction will you be sailing?

We did a full  worldie on QM2 in 2011, you'll find this under  'Live from RMS Queen Mary 2' in the search tab at the top of the home page.
There is also much, much more about her under the specific topic for her.
You might enjoy riding in the external elevator too, specially if the seas are rough, you might also enjoy watching her come into port from her great observation deck.
My criterion for 'trying something' is based on, 'if you can only do it at sea....don't miss it!'!
It will all be a great experience. Enjoy!
Rosie

We will be sailing from New York to Southampton.

Offline CAP

« Reply #124 on: Apr 07, 2014, 02:58 PM »
We will be sailing from New York to Southampton.

Make sure you get yourself and your family a suitably high place on the lido to watch the best skyline in the world, then head-up to the top deck to get an eye to eye view of Lady Liberty before watching in awe as she squeezes under the Verrazano, it always looks like her funnel will graze it!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2014, 10:27 AM »
QM2 also has one in the spa on deck 7. It's a quirky design. However, just about the whole design QM2 is quirky. I digress.

Hi Hank
I'm not too sure about the use of the term quirky (as in 'fun' or eccentric) when taking into consideration the entire design of QM2!
We've lived on board for well over six months, and found her to be a highly original, really impressive and exceptionally well designed and built ocean-going liner - truly 'fit for purpose'.
You may want to call her lifts (elevators) both internal and external 'quirky', to us these seemed incredibly sensible facilities; you may find her internal observation deck 'quirky', this was a great place for people who might never otherwise see "The Bridge' at work; you may find the welding on her forward facing superstructure quirky - interestingly too, Stephen Payne, her architect,  told me that this was the most difficult part of the ship to design and build! He has has ably demonstrated the necessity for 'function over form'  :)
It would be good to know which parts of Mighty Mary that you have found to be truly quirky - maybe they made you smile, too!
Rosie

PS. Have you read any of the books written about her? These three that immediately come to mind, maybe you have them already.
RMS Queen Mary 2 Manual: An Insight into the Design, Construction and Operation of the World's Largest Ocean Liner... by Stephen Payne (4 Dec 2013)
and
Queen Mary 2: The Birth of a Legend by Philip Plisson (29 Oct 2004)
and
Queen Mary 2: The Greatest Ocean Liner of Our Time by John Maxtone-Grahame (6 Apr 2006)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2014, 12:47 AM »

Hi Hank
I'm not too sure about the use of the term quirky (as in 'fun' or eccentric) when taking into consideration the entire design of QM2!
We've lived on board for well over six months, and found her to be a highly original, really impressive and exceptionally well designed and built ocean-going liner - truly 'fit for purpose'.
You may want to call her lifts (elevators) both internal and external 'quirky', to us these seemed incredibly sensible facilities; you may find her internal observation deck 'quirky', this was a great place for people who might never otherwise see "The Bridge' at work; you may find the welding on her forward facing superstructure quirky - interestingly too, Stephen Payne, her architect,  told me that this was the most difficult part of the ship to design and build! He has has ably demonstrated the necessity for 'function over form'  :)
It would be good to know which parts of Mighty Mary that you have found to be truly quirky - maybe they made you smile, too!
Rosie

PS. Have you read any of the books written about her? These three that immediately come to mind, maybe you have them already.
RMS Queen Mary 2 Manual: An Insight into the Design, Construction and Operation of the World's Largest Ocean Liner... by Stephen Payne (4 Dec 2013)
and
Queen Mary 2: The Birth of a Legend by Philip Plisson (29 Oct 2004)
and
Queen Mary 2: The Greatest Ocean Liner of Our Time by John Maxtone-Grahame (6 Apr 2006)

Fair point. I've read John Maxtone-Graham's book. I plan to read Payne's soon. I was thinking in particular about the layout of the public rooms deep down, which seems very unconventional. However, the ship is fully functioning, so perhaps quirky isn't the correct word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2014, 12:48 AM »

Good to hear from Trevor and the fact that he has sailed on QM2 12 times says a lot about the quality of the ship.

From the moment you step onboard you cannot help but be impressed by the high ceilings of the main corridors and the fabulous murals. There is some amazing artwork onboard QM2 and I remember reading in a Stephen Payne book that there are over 5000 pieces of art displayed onboard.  I have never counted but when onboard there is always  interesting artwork that takes your interest.  I particularly love the sculptures outside the Illuminations.

A couple of photos of the main corridor and the lobby, a place where it is pleasant to sit especially when the musicians are playing.   

I would agree with Trevor that the service quality is probably not so good as it was, which could be down to the pressure that the crew are under, but service is still good.  Being on a Transatlantic trip will give you time to get to know the crew who are serving you.

I'm looking forward to my crossing!

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2014, 11:55 AM »

I'm looking forward to my crossing!

Take lots of photos for us. :)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2014, 01:15 PM »

Take lots of photos for us. :)

I will definitely do that! :-)

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2014, 01:16 PM »
I will definitely do that! :-)

I'll look forward to seeing them.  :)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Found this article entirely by accident :

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevecohen/2012/02/28/still-the-only-way-to-cross/

Very complimentary -- except for an inexplicable (and unexplained) derogatory mention of QE2...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:57 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Interesting.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #133 on: Jul 04, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Three Questions:

Does anybody else have any other advice on QM2 in terms of service or expectations for transatlantic?

My cabin is going to be an ocean view porthole (Cabin 6025) in the bow. For some reason, I'm fairly excited to have a more traditional cabin than one with a balcony, however my parent's cabin has a balcony (we still don't know what it is though). Is there anything about a bow ocean view that I should know about?

Has anyone sailed in an ocean view on QM2 Or an atrium cabin? I'm just curious about those.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #134 on: Jul 04, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Three Questions:

Does anybody else have any other advice on QM2 in terms of service or expectations for transatlantic?

....My cabin is going to be an ocean view porthole (Cabin 6025) in the bow. ... Is there anything about a bow ocean view that I should know about?

....Has anyone sailed in an ocean view on QM2 Or an atrium cabin? I'm just curious about those.

Yes (28 nights in an outside fwd cabin on Deck 6)  - and you will enjoy it!
Specially as it won't have a restricted view, and you will always see the sea!
Balconies sometimes are a blessing well-disguised, because often on TAs the conditions are such that you can't use them!
Enjoy the ship - she is wonderful!
Lots for you to read about her on here too - including reports from our worldie / 110 nights in 2011
We were inside in a small cabin, this mattered not a jot to us!
We are 'outside' people on ships - I spent hours just over your cabin 6025 on Deck 7

About a TA - very much the same as QE2 in many respects - usually very interesting Speakers, (possibly Dr Stephen Payne even - QM2's Architect,  and you will probably have RADA Actors on board, they are well worth going to see, and Every day is a Sea day - offering a huge amount to do - or nothing! Just don't waste a minute...the time will fly by.
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2014, 09:31 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #135 on: Jul 05, 2014, 09:57 AM »

Yes (28 nights in an outside fwd cabin on Deck 6)  - and you will enjoy it!
Specially as it won't have a restricted view, and you will always see the sea!
Balconies sometimes are a blessing well-disguised, because often on TAs the conditions are such that you can't use them!
Enjoy the ship - she is wonderful!
Lots for you to read about her on here too - including reports from our worldie / 110 nights in 2011
We were inside in a small cabin, this mattered not a jot to us!
We are 'outside' people on ships - I spent hours just over your cabin 6025 on Deck 7

About a TA - very much the same as QE2 in many respects - usually very interesting Speakers, (possibly Dr Stephen Payne even - QM2's Architect,  and you will probably have RADA Actors on board, they are well worth going to see, and Every day is a Sea day - offering a huge amount to do - or nothing! Just don't waste a minute...the time will fly by.
Rosie

Thank you very much Rosie! We also found out that my parents are in a sheltered balcony, so it seems like a good deal!

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
Whats she like?
« Reply #136 on: Jul 17, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Okay. I got back from QM2 and it was amazing. The service was amazing. The ship was amazing, and the library and pools were amazing. We will go again. My parents were even won over. I had only two complaints. The first was that I wasn't as excited as I thought I was going to be. I was still excited, but I think it was because the ship was so modern and I have a soft spot for older liners. The second was that part of the promenade deck and the art gallery at the back smelled like sewage, however as the art gallery is only the indoor promenade to get you to the Queens room, and you can avoid that part of the promenade deck, it wasn't bad. The QM2 is still in my top five. I'm amazed the service has declined. If that is what the service is like now, then I can't imagine how amazing the service was on the QE2. I wish I could have experienced her. I also got to meet the famous film star Kim Novak (from Hitchcock's movie Vertigo) who was a guest speaker. I wasn't too fond of the buffet as it was confusing and like a stampede, however I am beginning to think that it is a mistake for Cunard to remove it in the upcoming refit. It's also the only place on the ship to get tea at 1:00 am. It's some of the best iced tea I've ever tasted. We only got to stay in London for two days and didn't get to explore anywhere else in the UK, but I can't complain. I do wish I could have seen France ( I did see France across the channel around 4:00 am as we approached Southampton), Germany, and the SS Rotterdam in the Netherlands, but that will happen next time I go.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2014, 07:13 PM by Hank Hargrove »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #137 on: Jul 17, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Okay. I got back from QM2 and it was amazing. The service was amazing. The ship was amazing, and the library and pools were amazing. We will go again. My parents were even won over. My only complaint was that I wasn't as excited as I thought I was going to be. I was still excited, but I think it was because the ship was so modern and I have a soft spot for older liners. The QM2 is still in my top five. I'm amazed the service has declined. If that is what the service is like now, then I can't imagine how amazing the service was on the QE2. I wish I could have experienced her. I also got to meet the famous film star Kim Novak (from Hitchcock's movie Vertigo) who was a guest speaker. I wasn't too fond of the buffet as it was confusing and like a stampede, however I am beginning to think that it is a mistake for Cunard to remove it in the upcoming refit. It's also the only place on the ship to get tea at 1:00 am. It's some of the best iced tea I've ever tasted. We only got to stay in London for two days and didn't get to explore anywhere else in the UK, but I can't complain. I do wish I could have seen France ( I did see France across the channel around 4:00 am as we approached Southampton), Germany, and the SS Rotterdam in the Netherlands, but that will happen next time I go.

Glad you've enjoyed it Hank!

They're not removing the buffet, they're re-doing and improving it.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
    • Classic Ocean Liners
« Reply #138 on: Jul 17, 2014, 07:14 PM »

Glad you've enjoyed it Hank!

They're not removing the buffet, they're re-doing and improving it.

Oh. Thank goodness. And thank you! :)

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #139 on: Jul 18, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Okay. I got back from QM2 and it was amazing. The service was amazing. The ship was amazing, and the library and pools were amazing. We will go again. My parents were even won over. I had only two complaints. The first was that I wasn't as excited as I thought I was going to be. I was still excited, but I think it was because the ship was so modern and I have a soft spot for older liners. The second was that part of the promenade deck and the art gallery at the back smelled like sewage, however as the art gallery is only the indoor promenade to get you to the Queens room, and you can avoid that part of the promenade deck, it wasn't bad. The QM2 is still in my top five. I'm amazed the service has declined. If that is what the service is like now, then I can't imagine how amazing the service was on the QE2. I wish I could have experienced her. I also got to meet the famous film star Kim Novak (from Hitchcock's movie Vertigo) who was a guest speaker. I wasn't too fond of the buffet as it was confusing and like a stampede, however I am beginning to think that it is a mistake for Cunard to remove it in the upcoming refit. It's also the only place on the ship to get tea at 1:00 am. It's some of the best iced tea I've ever tasted. We only got to stay in London for two days and didn't get to explore anywhere else in the UK, but I can't complain. I do wish I could have seen France ( I did see France across the channel around 4:00 am as we approached Southampton), Germany, and the SS Rotterdam in the Netherlands, but that will happen next time I go.

Great to see you enjpyed it. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.  :)

e-ticketing, whats your thoughts

Started by cunardqueenBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 24
Views: 3670
Last post Jun 26, 2010, 05:07 PM
by RmsAquitania
Whats your first photo of QE2

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 32
Views: 8445
Last post Jun 03, 2015, 08:41 PM
by cunardqueen