Author Topic: Ben Zabulis - hello !  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Ben Zabulis

Ben Zabulis - hello !
« on: May 02, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Came across this site on a general QEll browse and found it very interesting, so pleased to have joined !

My name is Ben, I’m British and currently live in Hong Kong. Used to work as a civil and structural engineer but now semi-retired, keep busy with some occasional writing and teaching.

My partner and I love travel and, consequently, we were lucky enough to join two cruises aboard the QEII

The first was in 2004, leaving Hong Kong after 12 years of living and working there. We managed to pile all our belongings aboard for the trip to Southampton – there can’t be too many folk who can say they’ve moved house by QEll ! After all, it was such a big step we couldn’t just get on a plane. We became so attached to her during that journey that we did a shorter Med cruise a few years later after her retirement was announced – for old times sake.

Funnily enough, in need of another adventure-kick, we returned 'permanently' to Hong Kong last year (2015) but this time on a Fred Olsen ship, not quite the same though passing the QEll in Dubai was a very poignant moment.

Best regards, Ben

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Ben Zabulis - hello !
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:37 PM »
Hi Ben -

Welcome to The QE2 Story and Forum and thank you for telling us about your connection to QE2 and your admiration for her.  She seems to have that way with people.  This is definitely the place to be for all things QE2 and I look forward to hearing more about your time on QE2 ?  Photos ? 

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:04 PM »
Hi Ben and welcome to the forum,just a note its QE2 not QEII  ;)

Offline Ben Zabulis

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:14 AM »
Many thanks June and QE2, much appreciated !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Hello Ben

Welcome to the forum, there is lot's of information about QE2 and everyone enjoys sharing their memories on the relevant topics. 

Lynda
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Ben Zabulis

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 07:28 AM »
Many thanks Lynda, I'm sure to enjoy this site - already doing so ! Funnily enough the first time I went on the QE2 was during a school trip to Southampton (we were from Nottingham) when I was 14 (1972). The ship didn't go anywhere it remained moored for visits only. I bought a souvenir tea-towel for my mother which I discovered about 30 years later after she'd died, came across it while clearing the house totally unused, must have been put away for best ! Still have it and will photo and upload to this site soon. After that school trip I never thought that I would be able to actually cruise on the QE2 - just goes to show how things turn out !

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:31 AM »
Hi Ben
Welcome to the most comprehensive and informative forum on things to do with QE2,
I look forward to reading of your experiences of QE2,
 Please feel free to ask questions on the forum we have members  who were actually involved with most aspects of QE2's
service life

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Many thanks Lynda, I'm sure to enjoy this site - already doing so ! Funnily enough the first time I went on the QE2 was during a school trip to Southampton (we were from Nottingham) when I was 14 (1972). The ship didn't go anywhere it remained moored for visits only. I bought a souvenir tea-towel for my mother which I discovered about 30 years later after she'd died, came across it while clearing the house totally unused, must have been put away for best ! Still have it and will photo and upload to this site soon. After that school trip I never thought that I would be able to actually cruise on the QE2 - just goes to show how things turn out !

Great memory of your school trip to QE2, they don't do school trips like that anymore.  If the trip was before October 1972 then your would have seen the ship before the refit and the addition of the penthouse suites and the changes to double up room (see refit topic)https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,7118.msg77096.html#msg77096

I saw around the ship before she left Clydebank in 1968 when the ship had her original decor, which I thought was amazing. 

Glad you are enjoying the forum  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Ben Zabulis

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 09:04 AM »
Many thanks Roy, appreciate that !

Offline Ben Zabulis

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 09:08 AM »
I think you must be right Lynda, I remember some of the fittings and décor but only vaguely. I did pick up a little guide book at the time which I must dig out and study !