Author Topic: QE2 interior photos from Dubai (2010)  (Read 16632 times)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2010, 12:18 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline Kathy M.

Re: Interior photos of 'Abandoned' QE2 Ghost ship in Dubai
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:27 PM »
So sad to see her so empty!  Thanks for sharing the link.
Kathy

ex-crewmember

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:35 PM »

I am lost in words..............silent  :'(

Offline Britannic9370

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Anyone else heard those ghost stories before or is it just the Daily Mail being as accurate as ever? 49000 tons for Gods sake!

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Very very very very sad to see  :'(

The Yacht Club brings back memories of me enjoying a nice drink after the show. Shame to see it empty and devoid of atmosphere.

As for the hauntings, I for one would think it would be a little creepy being on an empty ship with a skeleton crew. (no pun intended)

I sincerely hope Cunard will have seen these photos, it will tell them that they made a huge mistake. Mind you, £50million and all that.......
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:00 PM »
These photos at least prove that the necessary works are being carried out to maintain QE2 in good condition inside and out. The comments on mould seem a bit wide of the mark given the climate out there in Dubai.

I just wish some comment would be made as to her owner's intentions so we can see a way forward.

Gav ???

Offline Buddy

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Sad to see her empty, but considering I was fearing the Dubai had stripped her down inside, I was pleasantly surprised by how untouched she seemed.
Mike Brais - Cruise Geek and smitten by the QE2

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Anyone else heard those ghost stories before or is it just the Daily Mail being as accurate as ever? 49000 tons for Gods sake!

I noticed they got the tonnage wrong, quite a difference from the tonnage she really was.  :o

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:02 PM »
What's this about leaks and mould?

The pictures look like she is - as we knew - being well looked after.  She is just waiting for people to board her again.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:12 PM »
The real consolation is that she is looking in great condition. She has not been touched interior-wise since she arrived in Dubai. For that, us QE2 enthusiasts, have to be very greatful. I just hope that her longterm future can be sorted out and that she doesn't have to go through the indignity of having her funnel removed and a glass penthouse put in its place. Lets hope that she can be saved and preserved in a place where she will be appreciated more.

Offline Matt

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:22 PM »
It could be a little creepy being onboard now, especially by night  ;)

She looks in great condition, still very sea worthy!

Matt
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Offline andy liney

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:23 PM »

The article is full of mistakes, but it could be argued that this isn't one of them! She actually does weigh about 49,000 tonnes (which is her displacement). The more commonly quoted, and significantly higher, gross toonage is actually a measure of volume.

Offline mickey g

« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:39 PM »
These photos, good as it is to see them, brought a great wave of sadness over me (no pun intended!) seeing my beloved Yacht Club just as I left it in Dubai. Seeing the drums etc is especially moving, I was one of the last people to hear them in action  :'(
Yacht Club lover

Offline LynP

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing these photos, I have sailed one and half times around the world in her and always love to hear how things are going: your efforts are appreciated.

Fingers crossed she may still have a future.

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:42 PM »
I left a comment on the Daily Mail webpage but the comments seem to have disappeared  ???
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline JohnPaulConti

« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:48 PM »
Sad to see her empty, but considering I was fearing the Dubai had stripped her down inside, I was pleasantly surprised by how untouched she seemed.

I agree she looks like she could be ready to sail at any moment

Offline JohnPaulConti

« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:53 PM »

As for the hauntings, I for one would think it would be a little creepy being on an empty ship with a skeleton crew. (no pun intended)

I agree the ship must be a a bit spooky because its so quiet. Think about it this way, there is already talk about hauntings on QM2 and she is only 5 1/2 years old.

QE2's service life saw/created millions of happy moments for passengers/crew and they are returning to a place where there were truly happy.   Not a bad place to be when you think about it

Offline Cruise_Princess

« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2010, 03:59 PM »
I think these pics were taken long before QE2 ever arrived in Dubai.  The Lido apparently was emptied of tables and chairs when we arrived  at the dock. I would love to know whoever got permission from Dubai owners to get on board and actually take these photos. They must have been invisible!  There is a rod of steel around the ship now no body gets near it.  This si just something to resurge an interest in the ship and fill the paper., The report is so full of inaccuracies.  Dubai play QE2 by their own private rules and absolutely no news will come about her until a concrete decision is made about her future or she is sold...
Every  time I sailed on QE2 I was treated like a 'Princess.'

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2010, 04:06 PM »
I remember when I worked aboard in the 80s it was rumoured that a cabin on Two Deck forward was haunted. Also the tunnels are supposed to be. And my travelling companion in 2008 would tell you that most def cabin 2088 is very much so.

I just hope a suitable situation for her can be found. The silence about her future is deafening.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I think these pics were taken long before QE2 ever arrived in Dubai.

The photos are very recent, I've had it confirmed by a third party.

ex-crewmember

« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2010, 04:14 PM »
I think these pics were taken long before QE2 ever arrived in Dubai.  The Lido apparently was emptied of tables and chairs when we arrived  at the dock. I would love to know whoever got permission from Dubai owners to get on board and actually take these photos. They must have been invisible!  There is a rod of steel around the ship now no body gets near it.  This si just something to resurge an interest in the ship and fill the paper., The report is so full of inaccuracies.  Dubai play QE2 by their own private rules and absolutely no news will come about her until a concrete decision is made about her future or she is sold...

I wont say it was taken before she arrived in Dubai but i think shortly after she arrived.I doubt these photos are recent ones.

On normal refits the decks and furnitures used to be covered up i wonder why furnitures are not covered ?

Louis

Offline 3QueensGirl

« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I have my doubts too that these photos were taken recently. Knowing how tightly the owner is controlling access, I think it is reasonable to assume whoever had been able to get onboard would have mentioned this and the date when the photos were taken. The photo with the carpet under cover could easily be one from a previous refit. The photos are of poor quality and show typical signs of 'age'. I tried to leave a comment on The Mail's article but am not able to do so. I did see previous comments asking for the date when photos were taking and hinting that these were not taken in Dubai... It seem the comments are on longer accessible? Very odd. Seems to me like one of the PR jobs when there aren't any news...

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2010, 04:54 PM »
I'd appreciate it if you'd take my word for it that these photos are recent.

Thank you.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:03 PM »
I can back Rob up.

I can't go into any details, but I know for a fact that pictures have been taken on board very, very, recently.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:19 PM »
I'd appreciate it if you'd take my word for it that these photos are recent.

Thank you.

I think given all the recent negative stories eveyone has  a right to be dubious about another story, However l for one have no hesitation in backing up Rob with this recent feature.

Isnt it sad to see her devoid of any living person, it kinda looks as though everyone has gone ashore for the day. However the small things such as the protective covering on the boat deck do indicate that at least the onboard crew are looking after her & showing consideration after all its only a short walk for them to go to their rooms on the next deck up ;)
Can we imagine how she would have looked had the Dubai plans gone ahead as planned.
 Anyway Im pleased to see such photos......sad though they are..... l only wish there was more.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Ab Ovo

« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Seems no big deal to me.  Just another MAIL paste-pot story w/o substance.  There's no byline of note, and the photos aren't theirs, they're from Barcroft for gawds sake!  True, someone for the service could have been boarded for a quick shoot once, even recently, but these few interior shots are just of empty rooms.  Of rooms mostly untouched since arrival in Dubai, it appears.  There is nothing ghostly or sad or creepy about these current photographs, no matter the copy.  Remember, it's the MAIL!  Hand-wringing stories of this sort will continue until the QE2 sees some end.

Offline citrail

« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2010, 06:12 PM »
What's going on with the ceiling in the Yacht club, there seems to be some water damage from above or something :-\

Offline PJtheMuppet

« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:07 PM »
I left a comment on the Daily Mail webpage but the comments seem to have disappeared  ???

Me too..... ::)
Keep the Faith!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:17 PM »
What's going on with the ceiling in the Yacht club, there seems to be some water damage from above or something :-\
Yes... the Yacht Club's aluminium roof is not in the best of conditions...  good job the ship isn't somewhere where it rains more!  Cunard must latterly have had a job keeping the leaks at bay.  Funny thing is, this roof isn't all that old by my reckoning, having been done by the Germans (?) in the mid 90s Project Lifestyle.

ex-crewmember

« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Funny thing is, this roof isn't all that old by my reckoning, having been done by the Germans (?) in the mid 90s Project Lifestyle.

Yes it was added in the 1994 Refit.

Louis

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:34 PM »
These pictures of QE2 are what we have waited for.
It's good to see them!
Many thanks indeed to the photographer and to the person / people who gave permission for them to be taken.

Even more thanks to QE2_DXB and those who are also looking after QE2.
There is significant evidence to show that she's being well cared for - and hopefully it won't be too long before she's allowed to work for her keep.

These images will give a good idea of what she continues to look like for all those who weren't able to see her before she left Cunard.

QE2 needs to be berthed / at anchor in a cool climate - she's available and ready to be put to good use.
Could the Daily Mail be of some help now?  Yes - certainly! 
In particular they could help the world to understand why she's so important; they could do a lot worse than giving QE2 some good publicity!
In that way, the press and other media too, could go a long way in helping QE2 to survive.
The Daily Mail and it's readers et al would surely not wish for her to be scrapped - would they?
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2010, 09:27 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for over 2103 days...or 5 years, 9 months, and many days more - she needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:36 PM »
Good to see the pictures, more or less what I expected and good to see the plastic sheets down etc to protect the carpets.

We have just returned from 3 days on the SS Rotterdam and am happy to share our experiences there if anyone is interested - it's amazing.  Euro 250M were invested in a ship half the size of QE2.

Alex.

Offline JohnPaulConti

« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:51 PM »
I think given all the recent negative stories eveyone has  a right to be dubious about another story, However l for one have no hesitation in backing up Rob with this recent feature.

I fully agree, Rob would be the last person to report false information just for spin. 

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Great to see the photos - thanks to photographer etc.  She looks well cared for.  Very sad however to see her so lonely. 
Gill

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:01 PM »
I was just on the comment section of the article and was surprised there were so few comments - and I didn't recognize any names!
Kathy

Offline usqe2fan

« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:04 PM »
I agree that she appears to have been pretty quite well looked after, although seeing the empty rooms is sad.  It is certainly much better than the planned conversion would have been.

I also posted a comment.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:22 PM »
There's now 35 comments posted on the daily mail article's page ... a lot of them are fairly negative however!

It would be helpful, I think, to have more posts from people who understand what QE2 was.

Offline ReineAstrid

« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:08 PM »
I have just left a comment on the Mail site, before making the comment I could see about half a dozen comments but it now seems there are NO comments on the site and they suggest you may like to be the FIRST .....   Hmm   Great Site NOT......    The comment was quite short really just saying that whilst it is sad to see those photographs I had the dubious pleasure of looking over the Rotterdam whilst she was in Gib and she was in a far far worse state than our beloved QE2, and look at how well that has turned out. If only she could be returned to the UK just imagine what could be done with her.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Its a bit tricky... you need to click 'view all' or it shows you nothing.

Offline QE2 devotee

« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Thanks for posting the link. The ship being empty reminds the overnights during the 80's.