Author Topic: September News  (Read 3749 times)

jdlondon

September News
« on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I wanted to update everyone on the status of the QE2 and it's move to Capetown for 18 months. Currently there are continuous negotiations occurring with the "harbour officals" in capetown, they are attempting to block the entry?! This could potentially derail the whole move.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009, 11:58 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Concorde_QE2

Re: September News
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2009, 12:12 PM »
I wanted to update everyone on the status of the QE2 and it's move to Capetown for 18 months. Currently there are continuous negotiations occurring with the harbour master in capetown, they are attempting to block the entry?! This could potentially derail the whole move.

Welcome to the forum and thank you very much for your post.

There must surely be some local opponents to having the QE2 berthed in CapeTown to be used as a hotel by Nakheel which are not a South African company.

Please keep us updated. Thanks.
There was a better way to fly. It was called Concorde.

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I wanted to update everyone on the status of the QE2 and it's move to Capetown for 18 months. Currently there are continuous negotiations occurring with the "harbour officals" in capetown, they are attempting to block the entry?! This could potentially derail the whole move.

Hello - I am curious as to what your source of information is?

Cheers,

Chris.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2009, 01:41 PM »

As I have done with some other logins on the forum, I verify this as coming from a good source.  

Fascinating news, thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2009, 08:21 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Thanks Rob and jdlondon - just wondering how reliable it was. Thanks for clarifying :)

Offline Concorde_QE2

« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2009, 07:06 PM »
From one of my spies in South Africa.

Apparently it seems that there is no lack of accomodation hence why they might want to bar Nakheel from installing the QE2 hotel in Cape Town. Nakheel is no one to decide anyway. The SA authorities and locals are the ones to decide. It is not a done deal -yet.

Quote:
"Accomodation has the appearance of being difficult but I was recently speaking to someone who is in the Hotel industry in SA and it is not a problem. The main reason for a lack of accomodation on the WC website is FIFA greed (are we surprised). Apparently if you want to be an official accomodation provider you sign a lengthly cntract with Match (Fifa's travel arm) and then they have exclsive use of your premises, the catch is they will only pay you 6 to 9 months AFTER the World Cup!!! So some smaller chains and B&B's are keeping their "powder dry". I would just arrive and look for accomodation on the day."

Offline mickey g

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:04 PM »
Well, we know she is seaworthy, if Cape Town becomes a non starter surely this is the moment to bring her back to the UK (whereever).

I am a realist and know money is just one of the major issues but if we are to regain her this is our chance, lots of expertise is required plus lots of the right contacts and lots of money, financial green shoots are beginning to reappear so lets try and bring her home. All we need is the right people on board, no easy task?

Nakheel has come up trumps with her after such a long "resting period", is it not impossible for all of us to somehow find a way forward to bring her home, with Nakheels blessing.

The guys on this site are many and varied and must have a multitude of connections, surely, collectively and realistically  we could achieve it?
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2009, 11:06 PM by mickey g »
Yacht Club lover

Offline QE2 devotee

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2009, 02:58 PM »
I read the other day from the Daily Echo that there are negotiations to have the Saga Rose (ex. Caronia) to become a hotel in Southampton. Sorry to say but QE2 should have the opportunity not the Saga Rose. Unfortunately Carnival was too greedy for the highest offer without trying to preserve history. Also in my view they want QE2 as far as away from the spot light from what they call Cunard next generation of so called ocean liners.

I just hope that QE2 doesn’t come to the same fate as QE. The longer time lingers without a definite plan in place puts he future in jeopardy 

ex-crewmember

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I just hope that QE2 doesn’t come to the same fate as QE. The longer time lingers without a definite plan in place puts he future in jeopardy 

I think the same way Malcom, what the QE2 needs is a long time plan not a short one.

I just wonder why dry dock, paint her then leave her again in all that dust and weather?

Louis

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:36 PM »
what the QE2 needs is a long time plan not a short one.

I'm afraid I still think that any long term plan will include a one-way ticket to Alang  :-\

Offline QE2 devotee

« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2009, 04:07 PM »
drydock costs can also be a tax deduction.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2009, 05:08 PM »
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2009, 01:00 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for over 2103 days...or 5 years, 9 months, and many days more - she needs to be earning her keep....

Offline RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Ohh theres always something.

Why can't she dock in the UK? That could be the next option.

Offline Concorde_QE2

« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2009, 05:55 PM »

From the Cape Argus
South Africa

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?art_id=vn20090903114253530C685672

I posted this yesterday so the news don't come as a surprise to me.

Apparently it seems that there is no lack of accomodation hence why they might want to bar Nakheel from installing the QE2 hotel in Cape Town. Nakheel is no one to decide anyway. The SA authorities and locals are the ones to decide. It is not a done deal -yet.

Quote:
"Accomodation has the appearance of being difficult but I was recently speaking to someone who is in the Hotel industry in SA and it is not a problem. The main reason for a lack of accomodation on the WC website is FIFA greed (are we surprised). Apparently if you want to be an official accomodation provider you sign a lengthly cntract with Match (Fifa's travel arm) and then they have exclsive use of your premises, the catch is they will only pay you 6 to 9 months AFTER the World Cup!!! So some smaller chains and B&B's are keeping their "powder dry". I would just arrive and look for accomodation on the day."

Nakheel can try to find another arrangement to have her berthed in CT but I doubt it will work.

The UK seems to be the only viable alternative but I doubt the proud desert Sheikhs will let her go.
What will they do now? Keep her waiting at Port Rashid until Dubai's economy picks up?
It may still be a long time...

ex-crewmember

« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2009, 05:56 PM »

Why can't she dock in the UK? That could be the next option.

I would like that too  ;D

Louis

Offline Cruise_Princess

« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2009, 06:59 PM »
oh bring her back home!!! 
Every  time I sailed on QE2 I was treated like a 'Princess.'

Offline Concorde_QE2

« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2009, 07:34 PM »
oh bring her back home!!! 

This would be a dream and undoubtedly the best for the ship.
The only way for it to happen though would be to have Nakheel out of the picture.

The way things are going I very much doubt they will let the QE2 return to the UK.
We would have to find the funding/money and buy her back from them.

Offline Jem

« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Things are not starting to look so good for her :(. Bring her home where she belongs. ;D

Offline kennyinaustralia

« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Where could QE2 go to in the UK? I can't see to many people/ companies/ councils having the money to take her on.

I just hope she doesn't become another SS United States.....

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2009, 11:22 PM »
I'm afraid I still think that any long term plan will include a one-way ticket to Alang  :-\

Yes.  Undoubtedly.  But lets hope that day is a still a long way off.  What I mean by this is, I was with a maritime pilot friend last night, and he simply said to me, "all ships end up the same way one day Rob!".
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2009, 09:00 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2009, 01:34 AM »
More disheartening information from the Independent Online:

Quote from: http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=180&art_id=vn20090903114253530C685672
On Tuesday, Cape Town port manager Sanjay Govan said the port authority had informed the vessel's owners that it was unsafe to berth in any of its terminals. This was because of space constraints.

Dubai World was however in negotiations with other private terminal owners to find an alternative berth there for the event, he said.

The QE2 has berthed in Cape Town before, but always in a private terminal.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=180&art_id=vn20090903114253530C685672

Regarding her ultimate fate, I vow to never mention the "A" word when speaking about the fate of QE2.  :-X

Ken
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2009, 09:19 AM by Rob Lightbody »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Chris

« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2009, 01:53 AM »
I stand by my previously stated belief that Nakheel did not pay $100m for QE2 to have her sail to Alang. Selling her for her $6m scrap value does not make good business sense.

She will find a home. If Cape Town doesn't want her then she's better off going somewhere else.

Chris.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2009, 08:16 AM »
Chris,

Thank you.  Your post makes good sense.

It wouldn't be logical (or cheap?) or at all popular to send QE2 to be wrecked.  There are other choices - there was a post in late July from a Forum member who wrote with the hope that QE2 could be bought - I wonder whether he might be in a position soon to let us know more?

And Nakheel also stated that they will be looking for other options too. 

A concern will be, 'Is she seaworthy?' - it would be good to hear news of this - Looking forward to a post from QE2DXB.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2009, 05:05 PM by Rob Lightbody »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for over 2103 days...or 5 years, 9 months, and many days more - she needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2009, 08:53 AM »
A concern will be, 'Is she seaworthy?'

This is not now a concern.  The answer is YES.  She's just been fully re-certified as a passenger ship (hence the re-flagging), having passed all necessary tests, and had all necessary maintenance work done, including a full dry docking and a lovely paint job.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Sep 04, 2009, 09:09 AM »
She's just been drydocked for the first time in over 3 years.
She's just been re-certified for "passenger" travel for the first time since her arrival in Dubai.
The engines are still running, all systems are still live, a crew is on board.
She's not been altered.

Lets keep our hopes high for now, she's done OK so far.  I'm still hoping Cape Town comes off for her - I think its a good plan.  I think it would be good for the ship and for Cape Town (I'd go visit!).

Offline Matt

« Reply #25 on: Sep 04, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Australia will welcome her with open arms, I know that for sure, Shes loved here! Were also a nation thats so far avoided the Recession so it could be a possibility anyway!
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Offline RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #26 on: Sep 04, 2009, 11:59 AM »
I believe her Engines are in still working order. Just as well Nakheel never ripped her engines out as soon as she arrived otherwise QE2 could have got into more trouble.

I think personally they should keep her engines inside her if this situation happens again they could be much needed.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2009, 12:03 PM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

Offline Jem

« Reply #27 on: Sep 04, 2009, 05:27 PM »
I believe her Engines are in still working order. Just as well Nakheel never ripped her engines out as soon as she arrived otherwise QE2 could have got into more trouble.

I think personally they should keep her engines inside her if this situation happens again they could be much needed.
I think your right, if you remove the heart, the patient dies.

Offline Cruise_Princess

« Reply #28 on: Sep 04, 2009, 06:40 PM »
Isnt it strange that nobody seems to want her around the world,...( or should i say afford her)....yet we all want her but cant have her......( think I have £20 left in my purse after sailing the final voyage !!!but will put it towards her homecoming... !!  ......every little helps ...   dream on.......its a sad story to read...never thought this in a million years this time last year....but have to agree...,that EVENTUALLY  all ships do end up the same way,.....I dont want to believe it.....its heartbreaking....but who knows ...where will she be this time next year????

Are we chartering a QE2 forum jet to witness her arrival wherever that may be????  would be great eh?

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #29 on: Sep 04, 2009, 06:50 PM »
This time last year, we all thought that by now, she would be a gutted hulk with her glorious engines lined up on the dockside, her insides scooped out, and a radical 3 year rebuild underway.  This may still happen... but the current situation, to me, even if she is temporarily in limbo, is much, much better.  As long as she looks the same, and has some smoke coming from her funnel, I'm happy, no matter where she is.

Offline mickey g

« Reply #30 on: Sep 04, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I for one would try and be on that aircraft  ;D
Yacht Club lover

richc1977

« Reply #31 on: Sep 04, 2009, 11:33 PM »
If the QE2 didn't make it to Cape Town, at what other locations around the world does Nakheel have an interest?  I've tried searching their website to see if I could find out where they had developments in other countries, but couldn't find anything.

Maybe Cunard wouldn't want the QE2 in Southampton as a constant reminder to all passengers on the QV and QE what a proper ship should look like!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #32 on: Sep 05, 2009, 12:20 AM »

Doesn't Nakheel have interests in Southampton?
Not sure whether Travelodge counts here though....

Offline sotonsean

• QE2 Crew member
  • Pavillion Snacker
  • A picture taken in 1984
« Reply #33 on: Sep 05, 2009, 05:12 AM »
I read the other day from the Daily Echo that there are negotiations to have the Saga Rose (ex. Caronia) to become a hotel in Southampton. Sorry to say but QE2 should have the opportunity not the Saga Rose. Unfortunately Carnival was too greedy for the highest offer without trying to preserve history. Also in my view they want QE2 as far as away from the spot light from what they call Cunard next generation of so called ocean liners.

The Saga Rose is the ex Sagafjord of 1965 she continued with this name in Cunard service untill an engine room fire made her curtail her world cruise sometime in the mid 90s and was subsequently sold to Transocean Tours who briefly renamed her Grispholm for a world cruise untill Saga bought her and renamed her Saga Rose, the Saga Ruby is ex Vistajord, ex Caronia
I joined QE2 in September 1983 as an assistant waiter becoming a full time waiter in the Columbia Restaurant in October 1984.
In June 1984 I became a petter officer in the Accounts office and then the Pursers Office.
I left QE2 in April 1987 to work on the cross channel ferries untill October 1986

Offline Chris

« Reply #34 on: Sep 06, 2009, 07:27 AM »
Australia will welcome her with open arms, I know that for sure, Shes loved here! Were also a nation thats so far avoided the Recession so it could be a possibility anyway!

I can absolutely see QE2 in Sydney Harbour, an adopted icon alongside the magnificent Harbour Bridge and Opera House.

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2009, 07:33 AM by Chris »

Offline Concorde_QE2

« Reply #35 on: Sep 06, 2009, 09:00 AM »
She would take up a lot of space...

I could very well see a permanent exhibition of the QE2 down here in Monaco. She would be a most terrific sight and she could serve as a luxury hotel here much better than at Palm Jumeirah. Monaco are conservationists. They would keep her intact with just an interior refurbishment.

Prince Albert and the Principality have got tons of ready cash to buy her off. Monaco would have to build an extension just for her.

She would certainly beat the Lady Moura a long way over!  ;D

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #36 on: Sep 06, 2009, 09:18 AM »
I think SA are missing the point here, QE2 would ADD to their inventory of tourist attractions, how many people considering SA would now to make QE2 part of their itinery?  On top of global PR the ship would also bring significant local employment and spending, surely guests on QE2 would also be spending in local restaurants, bars, safari tours etc etc - it's called the multiplier effect...

Whatever and wherever she needs a revene earning berth somewhere soon or the impression of White Elephant will only grow and that's when the danger of someone breaking out the Swan Vestas increases...

Alex.

Offline Concorde_QE2

« Reply #37 on: Sep 06, 2009, 10:11 AM »
I think SA are missing the point here, QE2 would ADD to their inventory of tourist attractions, how many people considering SA would now to make QE2 part of their itinery?  On top of global PR the ship would also bring significant local employment and spending, surely guests on QE2 would also be spending in local restaurants, bars, safari tours etc etc - it's called the multiplier effect..

Nakheel's idea is to have the ship adding hotel room capacity during the FIFA World Cup.

There will be 8 matches played in CT. Even if visitors were to stay the whole month it hardly seems like a good reason to dock the QE2 9 months in advance.

Offline Cruise_Princess

« Reply #38 on: Sep 06, 2009, 04:46 PM »
I wonder if QE2 will come to the UK Olympics in 2012?? I read a lot about accommodation etc for the event and though I dont know what Dubai do or do not own Im sure there is a way in to Uk shores for the purpose....it would be permanently full...just with us lot!  Its a long way off....but you never know...sounds like she has to keep floating around the world looking for someone to take her in!

sorry if ive put this in the wrong place but it took me ages to try and post a new thread and i got nowhere!
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2009, 04:49 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline LegendOfTheSeas

« Reply #39 on: Sep 06, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I read the other day from the Daily Echo that there are negotiations to have the Saga Rose (ex. Caronia) to become a hotel in Southampton. Sorry to say but QE2 should have the opportunity not the Saga Rose.

I totally agree, lovely as Saga Rose is, I would rather see QE2 back here, where she belongs. The next year or so will be very interesting indeed - let's hope not for the wrong reasons (Alang has been mentioned).

July 2nd 2012 - Press release & news about Hotel plans for QE2 in Dubai

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 News 2012

Replies: 77
Views: 11973
Last post Jul 16, 2012, 08:20 PM
by Rob Lightbody
British Movietone News footage: Launch of Queen Elizabeth 1938

Started by TwynkleBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 0
Views: 263
Last post Apr 25, 2014, 09:13 PM
by Twynkle
July/Aug News (South Africa, Dubai Dry Dock etc.)

Started by TwynkleBoard Archived Discussions

Replies: 221
Views: 9721
Last post Aug 28, 2009, 09:17 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Port Rashid news? (The rescue plan)

Started by singlemaltBoard Archived Discussions

Replies: 61
Views: 2233
Last post Feb 18, 2009, 09:00 PM
by Rob Lightbody
News and updates from the SS United States Conservancy