Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth 2 - Dry Dock 2009 (with images)  (Read 46864 times)

QE2DXB

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Dry Dock 2009 (with images)
« on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:29 PM »
Dear Rob & QE2 Forum Members

Attached are some pictures of her recent visit to dry dock in July of this year, looking gorgeous.

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2009, 04:47 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Queen Elizabeth 2 - Dry Dock 2009
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Thank you.  And thank you again!  She still looks amazing and its wonderful to see her getting some TLC and a dry docking after slightly too many years!
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 01:38 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing these magnificent photographs of our beloved QE2.

Thank you also to Rob for creating this forum to keep the legend alive.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 02:27 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:53 PM »
I'd just like to also say, that you VERY DEFINITELY saw them here first!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:57 PM »

Thank you also to Rob for creating this forum to keep the legend alive.

Thank you Chris, but from the pics above, it looks like someone else is keeping her alive rather well!

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2009, 02:11 PM »
It certainly does. She looks superb - to this day the most magnificent moving object created by man.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2009, 02:20 PM »
Thank you, Rob, and thank you, QE2 DXB, for these truly magnificent pictures that made me draw in my breath because of their splendour. It is a huge joy and relief to see her intact and looking brilliant as ever, after all these months.

Welcome QE2 DXB -- happy to see you here!!
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2009, 10:25 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline k.sailaway

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2009, 02:30 PM »
What a truly wonderful sight for sore eyes! We haven't seen her lovely bulbous bow since the tandem crossing with QV in January 2008. ;D

K.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Hello!
A very big thank you - for posting these wonderful pictures!

Had they not been posted, it might have been the only time in the history of QE2
that something eventful wouldn't have been recorded in pictures.

She looks very good indeed - Thank you again, and again!

Rosie
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009, 01:30 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for over 2103 days...or 5 years, 9 months, and many days more - she needs to be earning her keep....

ex-crewmember

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2009, 02:55 PM »

Lovely to see her again.Thank You ;)She looks great as always.

Louis

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2009, 04:17 PM »
She is looking great although she'd look better with her CUNARD logo's.

BUT I am very glad she's not in drydock to be sliced in half and extended!!!

Thanks very much for posting these outstanding photos!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 05:57 PM by Bob C. »

Offline pjswansea

« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2009, 04:35 PM »
It's good to see that they are spending more on her to keep her at her best.  I'd even go as far to suggest that she's in better condition now (I'm guessing that Carnival would have done the bare minimum on the vessel when they sold her).

It's nice to see her props clean!

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2009, 06:05 PM »
Excellent Photos - All Good News!

What's that colour in the second from bottom picure, are they changing it to grey or this part of an undercoat or something??

Looks like they are planning for a serious journey, let's hope its to SA...

Alex.

ex-crewmember

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2009, 06:10 PM »
What's that colour in the second from bottom picure, are they changing it to grey or this part of an undercoat or something??

I really hope it is a undercoating.

Louis

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2009, 06:16 PM »
They're not painting her grey.  She's perfect, look at her!  Every inch of the ship has been properly painted, this is not a patch-up job.  Picture 2 especially, she's gleaming!

I wish she'd looked like that in August 2008 for my cruise!  She was looking VERY rough at the waterline then.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 06:18 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I know she looks fab, anyone would think they are putting her back into service!

On that point, how does it work, if say she's left for 18 month in SA, would she need another dry dock before she could sail again or does anti-fouling paint still work when stationary???

This is all quite exciting!

Alex.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #16 on: Aug 11, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Looking at the second picture down, it's possible to see the reflection of the other vessel reflected on QE2's wonderful hull!

I feel incredibly grateful that these have been posted, Thank You.

The beautiful view from the 'Bit Beneath the Bridge' brings back so many memories.  It was a year ago this week that I stepped off QE2's gangway for the last time.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009, 02:47 PM by Rob Lightbody »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for over 2103 days...or 5 years, 9 months, and many days more - she needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2009, 07:56 PM »

Fab!!  Thank you so much for showing us these pics - it's a great relief to see her looking so wonderful.

Helen
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline citrail

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2009, 08:31 PM »
A BIG thank you for sharing these pictures with us ;D

I'm wondering, is the last picture showing her leaving the dry dock?

Offline Andy F

« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2009, 08:58 PM »
I'm wondering, is the last picture showing her leaving the dry dock?
Possibly but looking at the preceding shots, it would appear she was towed stern first into the dock.

Agree a most fascinating and superb set of images, showing her in a way we never thought possible just a few months back.  Well done Rob and many thanks for sharing these with us all!
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2009, 11:45 AM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline usqe2fan

« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Thanks to those able to furnish these great photos, and it does appear that a proper drydocking was completed.

One curiousity is that the two bow thrusters appear to have been sealed shut; they were always open in every other drydock photo I have seen.  Sealing them before a voyage would seem to be contradictory....anyone have any insight?

Again, great to see that a drydocking has been done, lets hope for more good news in the near future.

Erik

Offline Andy F

« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:10 PM »
Thanks to those able to furnish these great photos, and it does appear that a proper drydocking was completed.

One curiousity is that the two bow thrusters appear to have been sealed shut; they were always open in every other drydock photo I have seen.  Sealing them before a voyage would seem to be contradictory....anyone have any insight?

Again, great to see that a drydocking has been done, lets hope for more good news in the near future.

Erik
An interesting observation Erik, well spotted.  Unlike a tow, given she is believed to be sailing to CT under her own power then it doesn't make sense to seal the BT doors closed.  Unable to say for sure but possible they were simply closed to enable the new anti-foul coating to be applied.  
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2009, 11:19 PM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline hollihedge

« Reply #22 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:17 PM »
Thank you so much for posting - she is looking beautiful!!
Gill

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #23 on: Aug 11, 2009, 11:04 PM »
She is looking in fantastic condition, that just epitomises the spirit of the QE2.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Offline Pia

« Reply #24 on: Aug 11, 2009, 11:28 PM »
Thank you for posting these fabulous photos! It's great to see her being looked after so well!

:)

Pia

Offline Chris

« Reply #25 on: Aug 12, 2009, 01:55 AM »

One curiousity is that the two bow thrusters appear to have been sealed shut; they were always open in every other drydock photo I have seen.  Sealing them before a voyage would seem to be contradictory....anyone have any insight?

Unlike the common Cruise Ship, QE2's bow thrusters had doors that closed (when the thrusters were not in use) in order to keep the hull streamlined and thus increase speed and efficiency. It appears to me as if they're closed in these photos - most likely as they've finished being serviced for this DD.

I was informed last year that one of the thrusters was decommissioned due to it being broken. As the ship was nearing retirement, Cunard did not have it repaired. I wonder if this has been fixed during the latest DD to assist in manoeuvring the ship?
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009, 01:58 AM by Chris »

Offline Jem

« Reply #26 on: Aug 12, 2009, 03:42 AM »
She looks just fantastic! Thanks so much for the photo's. Lets hope to see her at sea once again?? If not for the slightly untidy for deck and no Cunard house flag showing, she looks like she's departing on a voyage right now!
Well done Nakeel for looking after her so well. Long Live The Queen!!

Cheers
Jem.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #27 on: Aug 12, 2009, 03:58 AM »
Wonderful photos and worthy of a big sigh of relief to see she's being taken well cared for.   ;D She's does look a bit naked without the CUNARD logo on the side, though. 

Regarding Carnival not spending money on her, I think we all need to think carefully about that one.  They skipped the last drydock and performed a quicker wetdock in order to fit in more farewell cruises, which I am most happy they did.  Except for a dirty, untidy waterline, she looked in fine shape right to the end of service.  She did not go out like the original Lizzy with half a hull being painted.  I witnessed carpets being replaced and teak deck bungs repaired in October as well as some exterior painting.  I am sure there was deferred maintenance of equiment cancelled, but wouldn't you expect that?  On a more serious note, I do wonder if they have attended to whatever was the source of the seeminly recurrent problem of the ship loosing all power.

I wonder if there was any evidence of the grounding on the hull in the form of missing paint or creases in the hull plating.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: Aug 12, 2009, 06:05 AM »
Regarding the Cunard logo - I heard from a knowledgable source, that they simply had no choice about this, since they do not own the Cunard brand, and therefore cannot use their logo.

Also concurr with Chris about the bow thruster doors... I'm thinking we need a separate discussion about the bow thrusters elsewhere... http://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,879.0.html

Carnival did look after her very well indeed, but it was sad that after a couple of very thorough dry dockings and paintings, including being stripped right back to the metal and looking beautiful... that she then went out with a poor looking waterline... its so good to see her looking so good again.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009, 06:21 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Scott

« Reply #29 on: Aug 12, 2009, 06:12 AM »
I have to echo Chris - Thanks for posting these great photos and thank you Rob for all your hard work. Without the forum we really would not have this great knowledge base!

Offline WhiteStar34

« Reply #30 on: Aug 12, 2009, 07:57 AM »
It's great to see that the QE2 is being cared for. These are great pictures, and I am extremely grateful to the person that took them. You really do get a sense of how large this ship is when it's in dry dock with people who are very small in comparison. Fabulous!

In reference to the Cunard logo, there should have been some clause in the contract which said, "due to the historic character of the vessel, it can retain the "CUNARD" logo under her bridge without penalty". I say, corporate culture has no respect for the heritage of anybody or anything.

-Wes

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #31 on: Aug 12, 2009, 08:11 AM »
Thankyou, Nakheel.

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #32 on: Aug 12, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Many many thanks for the photos, it is really wonderful and very exciting to see the Ship of Ships looking so great again, looking even better that it did at the end of its service with Cunard!

I think it looks rather slick without the Cunard name, equally good with or without!

I have family in South Africa, looking forward to visiting the ship out there next time i'm there :-)

The Virtual Staff Captain

NairB

« Reply #33 on: Aug 12, 2009, 10:23 AM »
THANKYOU, THANKYOU!!!!

Look at her, just look at her.....

THANKYOU NAKHEEL & FORUM MEMBER QE2 for these photos.

-A Very Happy NairB  :D

Offline Kev

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Itsalrightlettingurselfgoaslongasucangeturselfbak
« Reply #34 on: Aug 12, 2009, 10:41 AM »
I haven' t been able to contribute much lately due to so many other commitments (And some might say Ive said enough already!) but I do look when I can and enjoy the comments and these photos are ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. It can only be positive to see any work of this type undertaken.

Best Wishes to all.

Long Live QE2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kev

Mr B

« Reply #35 on: Aug 12, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Such outstanding photographs bring a tear to my eye, and lead me now to think that Nakheel and Dubai World proudly appreciate the vessel they own - the most magnificent and famous ship in the world.

Nakheel, let her sail free on the oceans once more where she will always belong.

Offline Concorde_QE2

« Reply #36 on: Aug 12, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Thank you very much for posting these pictures. The Ship looks beautiful.

I would rather be seeing her in Southampton though. I am nostalgic of the days of old.

I have a couple of questions.

Is she out of dry dock by now and back at the berth where she was at Port Rashid or is the inspection not over?

MarineTraffic does not report her anywhere in Dubai. Has her Satcom been switched off?

What are the plans between her coming out of dry dock and an eventual steaming to SA?

Thanks in advance for your comments and answers.
There was a better way to fly. It was called Concorde.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #37 on: Aug 12, 2009, 01:29 PM »
Good questions. 

Perhaps people can resist speculation on these points, unless they know for sure, so that this can remain a 'clean' topic based mostly on fact!  I suspect only one poster in this thread knows the answers for sure !

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #38 on: Aug 12, 2009, 02:31 PM »
Yes!  It's been a while since we heard anything, and yesterday's news is so very good.  Just what we needed... from my point of view, the rest can wait!  The photographs - they are really clear.   It's amazing that all that paintwork was done in such a brief period. 

Rob - if it's possible, please would it be possible for you to convey our gratitude to whoever it was that contributed them?  Maybe one day we may know more - in the meantime, Thank You!
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009, 02:39 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Concorde_QE2

« Reply #39 on: Aug 12, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Thank you very much for your marinetraffic QE2 spotting report.

It may have been a regional problem as zero ships were showing for Dubai this morning.;
The tracker showed all the private yachts with a satcom that are here in Monaco.

So she is still showing. This is a very good thing. :-)
There was a better way to fly. It was called Concorde.

A very different "Vista" Queen...

Started by ChrisBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 13
Views: 1760
Last post Oct 17, 2010, 07:07 PM
by Magic Pipe
Vote for the "best" Queen

Started by Bob C.Board Cunard

Replies: 30
Views: 1603
Last post Jul 22, 2014, 01:41 PM
by June Ingram
"Captain of the Queen" by Captain Robert Harry Arnott, 1982 ISBN 0 450 04891 8

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1427
Last post Oct 25, 2013, 06:20 PM
by Alan Snelson
Queen Victoria "Hamilton"

Started by tdicksonBoard The Cruise Sisters (QV & QE)

Replies: 2
Views: 1809
Last post Nov 29, 2011, 10:19 PM
by Peter Mugridge
"Attack on the Queen" by Richard P Hendrick

Started by ex-crewmemberBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 701
Last post Jun 07, 2011, 11:48 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski