Author Topic: July/Aug News (South Africa, Dubai Dry Dock etc.)  (Read 9738 times)

Offline Twynkle

July/Aug News (South Africa, Dubai Dry Dock etc.)
« on: Jul 10, 2009, 09:23 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601116&sid=acKdKtBFhkW4

http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx?id=75394

http://allafrica.com/stories/200907100052.html

Once again - this could possibly be true...on the other hand...

if it is then  - WHY NOT SOUTHAMPTON
                -  THE CLYDE
                -  THE MERSEY

Is it because because SA hasn't experienced the recession.......?

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2009, 05:39 PM by Rob Lightbody »

QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for over 2103 days...or 5 years, 9 months, and many days more - she needs to be earning her keep....

ex-crewmember

I dont think Cape Town or anywhere in Africa is a option.

For me the only 2 options is bring her back to UK or send her to Japan.As for Dubai the longer the ship stays there in that heat,  the chances of saving her gets less and less as the days go by.

Louis

Offline Malcolm

http://allafrica.com/stories/200907100052.html

Says "the department will take a decision by the end of next week"

So we should know by the 17th :-\

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
This is NOT just a rumour. They've been wanting to open her for a while, but Dubai is too hot for her without a major rebuild. Dubai world have hotel developments in the area, having the nakheel QE2 nearby would help with publicity etc. There's also the world cup next year which often means a cruise ship being used for overflow hotel rooms. Expect QE2 in SA soon, largely unaltered, and with NAKHEEL in large letters on her side. Expect her also to get their under her own 'steam'.

Long Live The Queen!
Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline Matt

Long Live the QE2 Firstly!
I wish this was a rumour, She doesnt belong in africa, just like she doesnt belong in Dubai.
They should really send her back to where she is of most importance!! back to the UK. Southampton would be best thats for sure. Why are they diverging away from the QE2 precint though? Atleast that was a large tribute to her, however the drastic changes were not in order! Is there a contract from Carnival not allowing her to travel back to the UK?
 If not there, i would surely love to see her somewhere here in Australia, She was loved here thats for sure! i believe Nakheel have some partnership with the Q1 building in the Gold Coast, the tallest building in Australia, Surely they would like to Publisise in Australia, However i guess our population isnt huge, But surely worth while!
Thoughts? Thanks alot, Matt
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

NairB

Maybe Nakheel could look at bringing her back to Scotland and penetrate the Scottish Tourist Market with her surrounded by all that scenery etc.   :D

To Nakheel - Glasgow, Scotland has been a Major center for hosting world business conferences etc at places like the Scottish Exhibition & Conference Center (SECC) and I was wondering if you looked at that option as a way of bringing her back to Scotland, expanding your much needed Hotel business here in Scotland. Glasgow has a major shortage of hotels during such conferences and having the likes of the QE2 can only help feed that demand. I am sure such a move would enhance Nakheel by expanding your much needed hotel chain within the world business community & the Scottish Tourist industry.

Just a thought Nakheel. Scotland has the history, the scenery, the friendly people and of course, even better for you to promote the QE2, it was her birth place. This might be worth looking at to see if it would be financially viable for you ( Nakheel ) as a business venture and a means to maybe penetrate the Scottish Tourist Market.

Furthermore, think of the publicity your company will generate if you were to consider such a wonderful, bold move. Your collaboration with the Scottish Government and Scottish Tourist boards may open up other business ventures here in Scotland for your hotel chain. The U.K. public would also appreciate such a fantastic gesture and they would only be too willing to welcome a much needed business investment from Nakheel. Many thanks.

If she does go to SA, then she will be more comfortable out the heat. I am sure the people of South Africa would look after her and there is also a large expat British community in SA. Our Aussie relatives are just across the water also.  :D

Thanks Nakheel for keeping your positive options open and keeping the worlds greatest liners best interests at heart... ;)

I'm actually alot happier about this news.  ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2009, 02:27 PM by NairB »

Offline Alex Tarry

It's in the dim and distant now but those of us listening to Carol Thatcher's talk in the QE2s theatre on her 40th anniversary tour of the UK may recall her mentioning that QE2 was going to be in SA for the Rugby World Cup and adding that presumably she'd still need to be seaworthy then...

Good excuse to pop down to SA and have a look when she gets there if you ask me!

Alex...

Offline highlander0108

Maybe Nakheel could look at bringing her back to Scotland and penetrate the Scottish Tourist Market with her surrounded by all that scenery etc.   :D

To Nakheel - Glasgow, Scotland has been a Major center for hosting world business conferences etc at places like the Scottish Exhibition & Conference Center (SECC) and I was wondering if you looked at that option as a way of bringing her back to Scotland, expanding your much needed Hotel business here in Scotland. Glasgow has a major shortage of hotels during such conferences and having the likes of the QE2 can only help feed that demand. I am sure such a move would enhance Nakheel by expanding your much needed hotel chain within the world business community & the Scottish Tourist industry.

Just a thought Nakheel. Scotland has the history, the scenery, the friendly people and of course, even better for you to promote the QE2, it was her birth place. This might be worth looking at to see if it would be financially viable for you ( Nakheel ) as a business venture and a means to maybe penetrate the Scottish Tourist Market.

Furthermore, think of the publicity your company will generate if you were to consider such a wonderful, bold move. Your collaboration with the Scottish Government and Scottish Tourist boards may open up other business ventures here in Scotland for your hotel chain. The U.K. public would also appreciate such a fantastic gesture and they would only be too willing to welcome a much needed business investment from Nakheel. Many thanks.

If she does go to SA, then she will be more comfortable out the heat. I am sure the people of South Africa would look after her and there is also a large expat British community in SA. Our Aussie relatives are just across the water also.  :D

Thanks Nakheel for keeping your positive options open and keeping the worlds greatest liners best interests at heart... ;)

I'm actually alot happier about this news.  ;D

You would think they would be looking at all options, including returning to her birthplace.  Perhaps we should work up a letter/petition and send it to them for their consideration based on your draft here.  :).  Your have touched on quite a few good selling points.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Bob C.

Perhaps we should work up a letter/petition and send it to them for their consideration based on your draft here.  :).  Your have touched on quite a few good selling points.

That's a great idea.  How does that sort of thing work in the UK since I would think that it would take a lot more than the 168 QE2 Story members' signatures to get Nakhell to notice.  Anyone on this board have any political connections that could help?

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I have to say, on the scale of things that could have happened by now, that the South Africa news is terrific.  Its not a bad place for her, and I can see many reasons for it.  If she's still roughly intact with an engine running and self-sufficient, in 2009/2010, I'm happy.

Good idea Nakheel.  We're more with you on this plan, than your crazy mega-rebuild in Dubai plan!  We might even visit her in Cape Town.

Offline Twynkle

Rob -

Do you think any other 'places' / consortia/ white-knights etc have been involved  / consulted?
Particularly in relation to the possibility of her re-patriation.
I wonder too about the contact with SA in relation to the length of her stay there?
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2009, 08:40 PM by Rob Lightbody »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for over 2103 days...or 5 years, 9 months, and many days more - she needs to be earning her keep....

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I think ultimately Nakheel still intend to radically rebuild the ship and have her in Dubai.

In the shorter term - perhaps to the end of 2010 - I think she'll go to SA.  Although I would like to see her back in the UK, I think perhaps for the "man in the street" she's just a faded old cruise ship - I think she'll have a bigger pull elsewhere.  I think South Africa has to be around the best option there is.  I don't think anyone else is involved - Nakheel/Dubai World is big enough to not need any help with anything, let alone a wee project with their pet project QE2!

Offline Twynkle

Thanks Rob

If QE2 will be useful for the FIFA Football World Cup in 2010- then after that, it'll be back to 'business as usual' for the SA Tourist business, so how much finance then, that QE2 will need and would continue to bring in?  
It would be good to think that QE2 might be a profit making concern for some of the richest and poorest people of the world - and in an ideal world, hopefully any profits from the richest would go to helping the growing millions of the poorest people - the orphans struggling in South Africa.

However, should she not prove to be a profit making concern for the SA Tourist industry, there are the International Olympic Games in 2012.   Might it be an idea for QE2 to come here as her next port of call - Nakheel's London Hotels wouldn't be too far from Southampton!!!
If she came here for the Olympics, it would go some way to helping with problems of security!  To The Mayor of London- please, could you help?

UAE News
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/561583-dubai-world-may-convert-qe2-into-cape-town-hotel--paper-
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2009, 08:43 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Twynkle

The Financial Times:

South Africa confirmed it was examining a proposal from Dubai to permanently berth the venerable Queen Elizabeth 2 liner at the Victoria and Albert Waterfront in Cape Town, and convert the vessel into a luxury hotel.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0f4ff33e-6d81-11de-8b19-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_Cape_Town.htm
The QE2's possible next port of call....
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2009, 12:37 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

As even the Financial Times confirms the Cape Town news, a first wave of relief is setting in for me.

South Africa is a hugely more congenial place for QE2 than Dubai has been, these past few months. This is a country where she has been loved for many many years (her maiden call to Durban was on 7 November 1970, and she first arrived in Cape Town on 10 November 1970), a country which she has regularly visited, where her most famous passenger is the retired President, where the climate is much more like home, and where we too would feel much more at home calling on her!

As I contemplate doing just that, I would love to fan that glimmer of hope that she might stay there and stay close to remaining the QE2 we have known and loved...

2010 might be a great year for her! And then, we shall see...

Offline WhiteStar34

This does sound like good news for the QE2. Maybe Nakheel (Dubai) has been getting the message about why their plans for the ship are misguided. If this plan goes through, I would consider it a victory for the ship, and the efforts of those who have been keeping her alive in the press and on the Internet.
At the same time however, we have been given rosy scenarios before, and need to watch this carefully. Hopefully there will be more good news about this later in the week.

-Wes

Long Live the Queen!

Offline Stephen L

Personally, if the plans to move the QE2 to Cape Town ever come to life it will be brilliant for QE2, me and her numerous South African fans. Having spent my whole life wanting to take a voyage and only doing so once, with  her being a mere 2 hours away, it would be amazing and so convenient to see her and to stay aboard again. I go to CT often on business and would be able to see her from my CT office! Unfortunately, I would not go to Dubai unless on a stop over to London as I believe there is no other reason to go there, except to see QE2.

Although QE2 is not South African, (she's not from Dubai either and the QM is not from Long Beach!) but she has a great following here, she has visited Durban and Cape Town many times and was always faced a rousing welcome when she arrived and featured prominently in the media.

Many of her passengers came from here and were regular travelers. When I cruised to Norway on the QE2 last year there were 24 other South African passport holders on board not including my partner and I. We went to a Cunard presentation in Johannesburg last month to be presented the world cruise itineraries for QV and QM2, as they are making the debut visits to South Africa soon. I was amazed that over 100 people attended and at least 95% had cruised on QE2 not once but multiple times!

QE2 would be very well looked after here, as her heritage is respected and well known in South Africa and I don't believed she would be butchered. I think she would be very well utilized as the V&A waterfront is one of the top holiday destination for foreign guests, a working port like Southampton and I believe many former guests and new guests would want to use her as an accommodation base to experience what the QE2 was all about and I know that holiday accommodation in CT is a premium and always fully booked....even in a recession!

Having QE2's heritage preserved in Cape Town I believe would be a privilege for her fans here, myself included and I think it will be another reason for you all to come and visit our beautiful county....besides for the FIFA World Cup!
Regards

Stephen Laverack

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Many of her passengers came from here (South Africa) and were regular travelers.

Many of her crew were South Africans too, with several of the doctors, restaurant staff, cabin crew, and many others whom we met in their various work stations.

Pia, who once learnt Afrikaans, got loads of opportunities to practise it  :D

Who knows... some of the crew might love to return and staff QE2 in Cape Town?
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2009, 12:27 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline hollihedge

I am cautiously optimistic.  If she can't come home then it sounds as if she would have a fitting welcome in South Africa, plus I would definitely travel to SA to stay on her and visit, but would not want go to Dubai.
Gill

Offline Twynkle

Daily Mail online:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1199114/QE2-new-berth-Cape-Town.html

Is there any hope for QE2 to come home to Southampton now?

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
This article adds some important background information - http://www.thenational.ae/article/20090711/NATIONAL/707109791/1010

Offline Twynkle

Rob - It all feels a bit like a QE2 jigsaw - this time, with bits missing!

Currently - it would seem that the move is expected - given there's a will to move QE2, presumably and primarily for financial reasons.
 And QE2 may be run as a 'hotel' in an area already 'known to Dubai business'
 An appeal for hotel management has been made
 So where will the responsibility for the design and alterations lie?
 Will these need to comply with the original Nakheel design?
 If so - then please could someone ask for this to be re-thought - Now, as soon as possible.

Let's hope and pray that the engine room, her control room and all other areas that are of crucial historical maritime importance can be left intact.
Please.

Is it possible for someone to clarify plans and possible actions further...?

Another report
http://www.ameinfo.com/203412.html
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2009, 12:09 PM by Twynkle »

ex-crewmember

Personally i think its just another rumor.And we all have to wait and see.

http://www.fin24.com/articles/default/display_article.aspx?ArticleId=1518-1786_2537893

Offline Chris

I've tried to piece it together (a bit) here:

http://www.chriscunard.com/today-QE2.htm

Under "Future"... it's a bit confusing as the whole lot is based largely on unconfirmed reports and Nakheel denials - however this latest development is pleasing in that it will likely result in QE2 avoiding that awful refit that was planned for her in Dubai.

Offline Twynkle

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
We have had a huge number of rumours to sift through over the past year, but this one is not a rumour!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Offline Twynkle

Rob - There's still a speculative feel about the wording in the Nakheel statement
In SA, answers about berthing safely and the tourist / hotel business are yet to be published.

So QE2 could yet soon move somewhere else -  or, not.
Rejections could be the worst case scenarios for Nakheel - who seem to be pressing for her to leave Dubai.
The latter feels scary for QE2 - she could still end up being taken away to be wrecked.  

The Associated Press report in full

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_DUBAI_QE2?SITE=VASTR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2009, 01:55 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline nigelrob

This all sounds to like  the old QE1 then look what happened. Is it all a smoke screen and she is really going to Alang to be beached. Can not undersatnd why as a sea faring nation we do not have more examples of our maritime heritage around our shores.

richc1977

I've had a few random thoughts since digesting the latest news on the potential future for the QE2, jsut my personal thoughts and hypthoses.

i) If she opened in Dubai "as is" would she not be "luxury" enough for Dubai - my single cabin 2011 was perfect for me during my Fjords cruise in June 08 but would that be the right image Dubai want?  Dubai hotels are uber-luxurious, seemingly.  Do they think the QE2 as she is would measure up?  Maybe better (for Dubai) to send her to another Dubai-owned base for temporary use where such things are not as big an issue and when the recession is over they can bring her back to Dubai and then make her 7 star (whatever that is!)
ii) If she is off to Cape Town for, say, 18 months they will need to keep her in a seaworthy condition for the eventual return and it seems at odds with being run as a static hotel.  If they don't keep her in a state of readiness for sea (I'm thinking of things like wateright door tests, cycling the engines, turning the props etc) then wouldn't it cost a lot to get her back up at running?  Wouldn't mothballing her and then returning her to sea would be more expensive?  But if she needs to be run as a ship, but used as a hotel, is that going to work?  Also I'm sure we'd love to visit the engine rooms and bridge but these would need to be maintained for her return to sea so then changes to make them into "visitor friendly" attractions would not happen.  Anyone who has been on HMS Belfast and has seen how some children treat the fixtures and fittings......
iii) We know a lot of items ended up in skips - library books, crockery etc.  Did Nakheel have this contingency in mind? Are the cabins still furnished?  Are all the things from the "Hotel" QE2 still there?  (china, plates, linen etc)  Not an impossible challenge to overcome, but I'm curious.  This was clearly never in the game plan.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Richard,

Good points, all of them.

I can't remember where I read it, or who told me, but i'm sure I heard that all the furnishings from the cabins had got the heave-ho - which would be sad, because they weren't old and were lovely - e.g. the bed covers and curtains and carpets.

The main problem in Dubai, (apart from the lack of what they call "luxury" in the cabins) is the heat.  She'll be permanently uncomfortable inside, for at least 6 months of the year.  I checked with an expert.  Even when brand new, sitting in that heat would not have left her pleasant to be inside.  40 years on, it would certainly be no better!  Possibly this has become an insurmountable problem for them.  The black hull, at 45C outside, is it even possible to keep that cool inside?

Re: seaworthy condition - a very interesting point.  I think the cheapest option is to use her own powerplant to provide the power.  For instance, the hot water system uses heat-capture from the diesels... she's also basically got an efficient electric power station on board...  Having said that, and even with an engine running, it still might be cheaper to tow her.  Another question is, once SOLAS2010 kicks in, can she still legally be sailed (minus passengers)?

richc1977

I hadn't considered SOLAS applying after she had moved somewhere.  I'd be worried if she were towed anywhere - the thought gives me nightmares, looking at that lovely model of the Caronia by the Caronia Restaurant on the QE2 and thinking how sad her demise was.

Offline Chris

Offline Twynkle

These are interesting comments above, and if it's too expensive and impractical for Cape Town to keep her there - (Cape Town also becomes very hot for the summer months) then wouldn't it be preferable for QE2 to be sailed back to Southampton asap - before the SOLAS 2010 Regs kick in?

Btw - Don't the new SOLAS Regulations apply to all ships,  regardless of their 'contents'?!

There are plenty of reasons already expressed on the Forum why the UK would be a better place for QE2
Hopefully the Southampton Consortium could be reconvened.

Otherwise what are the alternatives?

Offline cunardqueen

I can't remember where I read it, or who told me, but i'm sure I heard that all the furnishings from the cabins had got the heave-ho - which would be sad, because they weren't old and were lovely - e.g. the bed covers and curtains and carpets.

Well there is no way lm giving my bed throw back, they even had it laundered for me.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline highlander0108

Well, I "found"  ;) my cabin key to #5075...perhaps I will get a chance to use it again. ::)

Regarding the other alternatives, returning her to Clydebank, where there is a slip ready made for her would be nice.  Just a little dredging and a temporary funnel and forward mast removal is in order.  :) I look as this South Africa development as a good sign and a step in the right direction that hopefully will alter the radical conversion plans. 
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2009, 10:49 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Twynkle

Offline Chris

This clipping was emailed from a friend today.

Offline luzparis

maybe the choice of South africa is because RSA need hotel room for football world cup and maybe is choice the solution of cruise ship for hotel !! vancouver for the winter olympic game decide to rent differnet cruise ship for the event !! (PS sorry for my english)

and we could add "QE2 is in Dubai"...

Started by Matteo 91Board RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 2231
Last post Feb 11, 2012, 06:53 PM
by cunardqueen
"QE2 was devalued because Dubai bought her" - discuss

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Discussions about QE2 after Cunard

Replies: 11
Views: 2346
Last post Nov 27, 2014, 07:54 PM
by PaulInuk
"QE2 becomes hotel in Dubai" 2008 Video.

Started by ChrisBoard Discussions about QE2 after Cunard

Replies: 0
Views: 1417
Last post Mar 24, 2011, 01:57 PM
by Chris
Roll Call : "The QE2 Story" visit to QE2 in Dubai

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Archived Discussions

Replies: 32
Views: 1006
Last post Mar 31, 2009, 09:05 PM
by QE2 devotee
Ask the Captain - William Cooper (Captain from 2009 to 2012 in Dubai)

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Discussions about QE2 after Cunard

Replies: 38
Views: 4446
Last post Oct 19, 2014, 08:08 PM
by jdl