Author Topic: QE2 Dubai Concept Models  (Read 19737 times)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE2 Dubai Concept Models
« on: Apr 28, 2009, 07:43 AM »
You'll want to be sitting down before you click this link!

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5204106&sid=1941c26b-7c33-4844-81c9-f6d36e76c4b3

<sigh>   >:(   :(   :o   ???   :-[   :-\   :'(   :'(    :'(

Thanks to John Attwood for sending me this link.

I've decided that Christie's won't mind me posting this picture - seeing as its advertising something they're selling!  If they do, I'll take it down.

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009, 12:15 PM by ancoaster78 »

Passionate about QE2 for over 30 years.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
As far as i know, this is the first realistic look at what she will become if the Dubai plans go ahead. How did nakheel let this model escape? The cat is out of the bag now. I do find it morbidly interesting though to see how the designer has worked with the existing structure. She has completely lost her sleek sporty elegance and is just a dumpy mess. 

Offline Mauretania1907

Oh yuck :o QV would be laughing, this looks awful. I hope it DOSN"T go ahead, at least in that form. Dumpiness is the word!!

Offline Andrew Collier

It says in the text under the photo the this is number two of three models produced, surely that tells us that this design hasn't been chosen, thank goodness, and that maybe one of the other two options is under more serious consideration, but, what if the idea that actually goes ahead is even worse?

I am sure from the model they can see that doesn't look pretty?! Who would want that stuck in the flash development, its true even QV would be laughing. I think the only plus side is the hull hasnt been stretched or otherwise destroyed.

Agree with you Rob, there is a certain fascination in the way an attempt to work within the style of the original, but QE2 is just too short and narrow for any extra decks!
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Chris

Oh please... this is ludicrous - that "design" iis a disgrace to QE2, to shipping and to all of us around the world who knew and loved QE2.

I very much doubt that it will end like that. If it does - the Queen is Dead...
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009, 01:19 PM by Chris »

Offline Chris

PS: If the CONCEPT models of an un-launched project that has until now been shroud in secrecy are being sold ...I'd say these plans (if in fact they were ever the real plans) are finished with... Otherwise, the designers needed a few thousand pounds to make ends meet... Other issues here (aside from the obvious) include the "missing" two deck windows? Considering the hull colours appear consistent on the bow - how are they intending to lose a row of windows within the hull...
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009, 03:03 PM by Chris »

Offline Twynkle

There are No pennants, No ensign, No radar things (the lovely big white 'globes' on top) No flagpoles fore and aft, No Tenders etc etc -
Importantly - there seems to be No personalty about this model - it looks very dead.
Bet it doesn't have lights that are on different circuits either!  Any good Model would need her Whistle too.

Just a thought, as the model is up for sale - could this mean that has been a change of plan?
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2009, 08:03 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for over 2000 days...or 5 years, 5 months, and many days more - she needs to be earning her keep....

richc1977

And I thought the extra decks they added to the Norway (ex SS France) were the height of ugliness.

One point - if they (as we are led to believe) going to remove the engines and put in a lot of big open spaces (theatre, etc) and then whack all that on the top, she'll keel over.... 

Offline Waverley

Oh dear.

Not nice at all.

However since it is for sale, it does suggest that this design has been rejected. Also as Andy stated that this is model 2 of 3. I wonder what the model prototypes look like for models one and three.
Robert

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I've added a photo at the start of this thread with a green line where I think the existing ship ends.

Some thoughts

• This exact plan may not be going ahead, but this shows what sort of a thing they're thinking of.
  • Someone wanted to cause trouble with this model - either the modelmaker didn't get paid, or somebody wants to show the world what the plans are.
  • The existing superstructure would need rebuilt too, to support this lot.
  • Would FIVE additional 'Upper' decks not rise ABOVE the bridge?  I'm not sure what I'm seeing makes sense...
  • Its extended back too, if you look closely.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009, 06:49 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Dr. Edmund Carus

• Caronia Diner
  • Too ugly to show my picture!
A true nightmare! - sorry I'm speechless!

Edmund
Edmund

Offline Bob C.

Its grotesquely hideous AND I'm wondering just how they will structurally make this happen.  Like Rob said, 5 upper decks requires alot of support but even more, they will significantly raise the center of gravity and greatly increase her sail area (air draft) making her much more unstable.  One good Shamal (sand storm) and she runs the risk of capsizing at her berth, especially if her lower decks are stripped out for convention space, unless weight is installed in the bottom of the ship to counter her being so top heavy.  But weight up top added to weight below would make her draft really deep, probably add 2-4 feet in addition to the 32-34 ft (9.8-10.4 m) she draws now (i.e. the 6 Deck port holes would be barely visible or submerged).

• Would FIVE additional 'Upper' decks not rise ABOVE the bridge?  I'm not sure what I'm seeing makes sense...

Looks like the bridge and signal deck were sliced off and placed on top of the added structure.  The white paint starts at 1 deck on the model as opposed to 2 deck as it has since she was first painted.  All in all it is not QE2 and makes it very evident that Nakeel has no intention of preserving her heritage whatsoever even though they claim just the opposite.  Very disturbing.

I don't see where a 100 ft section would have been added amid ships.  Does anyone else?
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2009, 08:39 PM by Bob C. a.k.a. reltco »

Offline Kev

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Itsalrightlettingurselfgoaslongasucangeturselfbak
YUK, YUK AND TREBLE YUK-ABOUT AS USEFUL AS A CHOCOLATE TEAPOT

A TYPICAL INTERIOR DESIGNER/ARCHITECT ON HIS OR HER OWN JOLLY WHOM I WOULDN'T TRUST TO SIT THE RIGHT WAY ROUND ON A TOILET SEAT

I DON'T LIKE THE GREEN STRIPES EITHER!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

... and all those windows and balconies at regular intervals... just what I dislike in so many other ships...   >:(

Words are totally failing me... which is probably just as well...

Offline Andrew Collier

To get this to ''work'' they must have raised the focstle by one deck, which allows therefore the black pain to be taken higher so as to not make it look even more top heavy than it does. The bridge has been raised too, the whole thing is like a charicature of the QE2 designed to resemble it, made out of bits of bit, but bigger and hideous. it looks nothings like a transatlantic liner, a 1970's car ferry maybe.

Its obvious though that huge amount of thought has gone into it, which is encouraging, and this idea has been thrown out which is even more encouraging, but anything even similar is just not QE2. if Nakheel had wanted something much bigger they should have bought something much bigger, this looks worse than a lot of modern cruise ships, they could have had one of those for the money. Feeling more upset than ever about it all now :-(

Offline Andy F

Words fail me (which is something of a rarity I know) and even sitting down hasn't helped! 

This is a total abomination and were it to proceed, then our worst fears would certainly be realised. Is it me or is the area above the existing Boat deck (currently Sun deck), cantilevered out over the hull as the windows below (in the area where the penthouses on Signal deck currently are), appear slightly in shadow?   Re Bob's point about the additional section, I cannot see where this would have been either but maybe this was shown on one of the other versions (number 3 possibly, being a relatively recent announcement). In fairness, the funnel looks better than expected (aside that is from the grey stripes, signifying the elevator I guess) but the fundamental question is WHY exactly has this model been made available now?  To do so after any conversion had been completed is perhaps understandable (although one would have thought it would have taken its place in the shore-side museum), but irrespective whatever she may finally look like post conversion, as Rob rightly says, the cat is well and truly out of its proverbial bag.  The fact this model has been released could certainly suggest the ambitious project is dead in the water; after all, why show your hand now?  Once she'd entered docking possibly, but now? It just doesn't make sense. 

In common with us all, I would dearly hope she will remain virtually untouched (at least as far as her profile is concerned), and would certainly be interested in seeing her again were that to be the case.  Time will tell but QV is starting to look more attractive it must be said (and I never thought I'd hear myself saying that!).
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

The fact is that she is still there without any firm plans being made public for her future.

If the Mary Rose, the SS Great Britain, the Victory, the HMS Belfast, Gypsy Moth etc can all be properly saved - then what can be done to save her? - She will become  a wreck if no-one tries to rescue her.  Something needs to be done very soon in the same way and tradition that has been afforded to the other famous vessels that have gone before.

Not quite sure why I'm ranting to the converted - Big apologies all round!

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2009, 08:06 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 has been waiting alongside in Dubai for over 2000 days...or 5 years, 5 months, and many days more - she needs to be earning her keep....

NairB

Why did they have to buy the QE2 to change her into that!!!

Surely they could have bought another old cruiser and do the same blooming thing!!!

Leave our Queen alone, infact, please sell her back to an investor here in Britain....PLEASE...£60 million and call it quits ::)

-NairB :'(

Online cunardqueen

John Chillingworth was in the mid 80s the Chief Engineer onboard QE2, He was onboard for the Round UK voyage last year, and l believe on the trip to Dubai
He was project Manager for the QE2/Dubai project, but is now finished with it.  Perhaps this model found its way into his case as he left the office... 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
John Chillingworth was in the mid 80s the Chief Engineer onboard QE2, He was onboard for the Round UK voyage last year, and l believe on the trip to Dubai
He was project Manager for the QE2/Dubai project, but is now finished with it.  Perhaps this model found its way into his case as he left the office... 

Do you have contact details for John?  He will definitely have known my Dad...

Offline hollihedge

Speechless and horrified...
Gill

Offline Andrew Collier

How about someone makes a new concept model showing the ship as we want it preserved and send it to Nakheel for their comparison, am sure if there were two models the same scale, showing their ideas and how it should look, side by side the project managers could see the error of their ways ;-)

Offline Kev

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Itsalrightlettingurselfgoaslongasucangeturselfbak
How about someone makes a new concept model showing the ship as we want it preserved and send it to Nakheel for their comparison

Send them an Airfix model (early style) and Revell model (later style)- A very cheap bid indeed without wasting thousands on 'Designers' they should get the message

Offline Andy F

How about someone makes a new concept model showing the ship as we want it preserved and send it to Nakheel for their comparison
No need to for all they need do is take a look at what they've already got and treasure her for what she is!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Chris

Agree with Andy F - anyone who appreciated QE2 would leave her as she is - a treasure!

Mr B

I wish it was all just a bad dream.   :'(

I have built several model ships over the years, from trawlers to Cal Mac ferries, but I've yet to build a submarine. Suddenly I feel inspiration to begin work with my bits of plywood, rubber bands, clothes pegs and messy glue.

Let's put in a bid for that "concept" shall we.
I hope Rob will have his camera running for her maiden voyage...

Offline Mauretania1907

I have pulled out all my dictionaries to find a word that describes what I think without resorting to swear words, and the word that comes to mind is VILE
VILEVILE
Vile, vile, vile
the meaning of which is abominable, wicked, shameful, ignoble, disgusting, foul, degrading, unpleasant or just plain bad.
VILE

Offline Malcolm

Dumpiness is the word!!

Is it really that bad? Admittedly it's not the QE2 we all knew and loved but then that QE2 has already died. At least it's still a lot better than Vicky!

Offline Twynkle

Offline RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Oh god they should leave her as she is. If Nakheel want people around the world to see her they have to leave her as she is because thats whats made her loved and appreciated its her shape, interior and her treasure.

QE2 sells herself because of her style.

Offline Heather

You'll want to be sitting down before you click this link!

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5204106&sid=1941c26b-7c33-4844-81c9-f6d36e76c4b3

<sigh>   >:(   :(   :o   ???   :-[   :-\   :'(   :'(    :'(

Thanks to John Attwood for sending me this link.

I've decided that Christie's won't mind me posting this picture - seeing as its advertising something they're selling!  If they do, I'll take it down.

Rob
Just had a look at Christie's website that you directed us to.  Woke me up (especially as I have a signed limited edition of the Old Girl in the Clyde during her first visit back home).  Maybe I could retire after all and just cruise!!!!  Well I can dream!   ;D

Offline Andrew Collier

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009, 02:42 PM by ancoaster78 »

Offline citrail

QE2 Dubai Concept Model
« Reply #32 on: Sep 14, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Interesting yes! but I won't be bidding, not even if the take all the 00000's off ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009, 02:47 PM by ancoaster78 »

Offline luzparis

QE2 Dubai Concept Model
« Reply #33 on: Sep 14, 2009, 01:04 PM »
the two project are very horrible but the solution without the life boat is the best in horrible concept!!
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009, 02:47 PM by ancoaster78 »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 Dubai Concept Models
« Reply #34 on: Sep 14, 2009, 04:27 PM »
DUBAI August 2008

CONCEPT 1

• Increase superstructure height by one deck
  • Add new superstructure to existing upper decks, equivalent of one and a half decks, comprising 160 suites.
  • New spa area at fore deck, starting at upper deck going down to 6 deck.

Pictures attached below...
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009, 04:39 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #35 on: Sep 14, 2009, 04:35 PM »
"The other one"

Pictures attached below...
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009, 04:38 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: Sep 14, 2009, 04:38 PM »
I think they are all ABSOLUTELY AWFUL although, if forced, I'd say these are better than the one we saw in April because at least you mostly make out her original beautiful lines (bridge deck is still there).

But I'd rather see her scrapped than any of these happen to her.

And the ebay seller expecting £2500 for these is off his head, why would anyone want a model of an ugly rejected concept?

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #37 on: Sep 14, 2009, 04:42 PM »
Maybe a true enthusiast with lots of spare money will buy them, and either destroy them or convert them into models of the correct form of the ship, ie unmodified. Maybe this would rid the world of the idea once and for all :-)

Credit where its due though, the colours remain correct!  ;)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE2 Dubai Concept Models
« Reply #38 on: Sep 14, 2009, 04:48 PM »
As a matter of complete speculation, perhaps they also thought the models looked awful and rejected them because of that (in addition to the other reasons!).  However, they were daft not to destroy the models if the ideas had been rejected.

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009, 06:13 PM by ancoaster78 »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #39 on: Sep 14, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Scrap the idea or scrap the ship!  Sorry to be so harsh but that monstrosity is not QE2.

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2009, 09:45 PM by Bob C. »